First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    What motivates you to work harder? Does the carrot work? Does the stick?
    (1) Money (As in "I get $X if I complete tasks A, B, and C" - OR - even better "I get X% of whatever I bring in.")

(2) Sex

(3) Prizes (We're talking vvacations or super nice electronics, no gift certificates to Wal-Mart)

(4) Bragging Rights

(5) Betterment of something I believe in is the most powerful of all...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Permabanned
    MBTI
    IT

Privacy.
    Time.
    Freedom.
    Fair--
    Reward.

Simple.

Make it interesting.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Justice motivate me like nothing else. I can't stand seeing people get treated unfairly.

MBTI
    INTP

My boss was mad at our entire office last week for falling short of sales goals and yelled at everyone in a promoted position, including threats of retraining and such. He thought that this would motivate us to work harder, and it worked on some people but it completely backfired on others of us, me included. Somehow the idea of the threat and being yelled at managed to distract me from what I should have been doing all day long- I don't LIKE to be yelled at, especially when I WAS working hard

After bitching to my trainer about it and being reassured that the boss really was just trying to motivate us by yelling at us (which the boss kind of confirmed by taking the carrot approach on everyone the next day and all but apologizing for the day before), I started to wonder... why do some people respond to some types of motivation and others fall apart at it?

From what I've seen being both on the receiving end and giving end, "angry" or "frustrated" speeches do almost nothing, but can be important if you've tried everything else. I cannot recall giving any myself; if I have a problem with one of my people, I will follow my business' policy and hold them accountable for not executing their job. (I have maintained a highly developed Te and Ti, allowing me to speak the needs clearly but see the problem as a whole, and how the person is failing or reacting to the situation.)

In regards to a group setting: an example would be three days ago, I had a team of about 20 people really let me down. Execution and end results were dismal. The next day I pulled all 20 people into a room, and basically told them they disappointed me yesterday, and that today I would be following up with them on an individual basis to ensure their job was being complete correct and on time.

They could see my frustration, but only because I let a little of it show. I didn't raise my voice or become sarcastic, and don't believe that doing so is helpful unless you've tried everything else. Again, I've been on a team myself where everyone but myself seemed to have given up. When my boss expressed anger/frustration toward us all, I took it with a grain of salt; generally he/she will know that I am doing my part, and if I'm not confident they do, I will tell them afterward.
    INTP - Ti > Ne > Te > Ni > Fi > Se > Fe > Si

I am not a Strange Loop, for I will always grow and mature.

Society is a Strange Loop, preventing us from growing and maturing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have to agree with kelric here that the answer is probably neither. If I truly feel that something is important then I'll put all my heart in it regardless.

I guess it's the Fi need for authenticity that working under the duress of threats or with an inducement would be too fake. For example, I tend to get annoyed when people want to sell me something and I say no, and they begin offering extra things such as discounts or free gifts.

But of course being an NP, working hard is an alien concept to me most of the time...
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've read that extroverted children respond better to rewards as motivation whereas introverted children respond to critique/anger/fear. I wonder whether this carries through to adulthood and if so, to what extent.

Personally, I will respond and become motivated myself if I see someone displaying positive passion for something. I have a tendency to assess most situations using Fi and if I detect authenticity and the person is trying to get their point across in a calm, logical manner, then I'll respond in the same way.
    The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. --A. Rand

MBTI
    INFP

For me, the best motivation is to have someone i admire and respect express their confidence in me. I guess that says a lot about how i feel about myself

I was just reminiscing about a great example this. I used to take guitar lessons the past few years, and looking back, i really paid the guy to motivate me. I'm not stupid, i can figure out to play the guitar and learn musical theory by myself. But he was an inspiration, i admired his abilities and musical philosophy. His passion for music and his enthousiasm about my playing was a huge boost in both confidence and activity. This activity then lead to new ideas, and that's how i progressed.

Subsequent teachers all sucked. The only one who had the same effect on me was his best friend and bandmate, who substituted now and then. The rest were all your run of the mill Wes Montgomery copycat conservatory douchebags. Fuck off and shave off that ridiculous goatee. I swear... jazz students... possibly the only people in the world who still care about bebop in 2010. But i digress.
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I'd imagine the adult's responsiveness [or lack thereof] to *positive or negative motivation would correlate to the degree of success/failure (effectiveness/ineffectiveness) with regards to the interplay between former parenting [disciplinary] styles, and the child's natural self-motivating style. But that's really not saying much, as it's basically how everything works, not to mention there are far too many inter-dependent factors involved to accurately pin down one and say, "this is why this works for me and that doesn't." Especially given the added influence of "mixed" style in 2 parent homes, which is another whole factor in itself. I can only account for, and apply this to myself and my siblings, and so I'm only assuming it works like this for others.

Mother: [negative motivator] Threats. Guilt-tripping.
    Father: [positive motivator] Do it and do it now (yelling) Bribes.
    Me [as in, what [would have] worked]: Appeals to reason. Logical consequence. Negotiation/bargaining. Encouragement [!]

It's hard to discern whether my automatic [and CHILDLIKE!] resistance to yelling and guilt-tripping now is a direct result of its failure with me as a child or not. It's funny though. Whenever I'm yelled at, I instantly feel like I'm a 6-year-old being scolded for having stolen a cookie. It's insulting, even where it isn't meant to be.

If you want me to do something, dump on me everything you want me to do/whatever is relevant, a tentative deadline, and send me off to work alone, uninterrupted with some encouragement. Too much input/direction/interruption and I feel an urge to resist. Not enough encouragement, and it feels like you don't expect me to do a good job and therefore don't value the work I'm doing for you. If you don't value it, why should I? In short--leave me alone, tell me I can do a great job, and I'll have it done for you.

HOWEVER:
    With regards to self-motivation on PERSONAL projects-- desperation is nearly my only motivation. I'm content to sit, think, and rot until I'm absolutely forced to make any move at all. Highly ineffective, and I'm willing to bet it has at least something to do with my childhood experience, but I won't get into every little reason for that here. I don't intend to imply that my ineffectiveness now is entirely the fault of my parents, however. The blame is mine, but it has simply taken me longer to figure out the best method for me as I had a very late start.

*Positive and negative sound misleading; I don't mean to say that one is "better," in fact, "positive" can even be "bad" (like my father's method.)

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I am fueled by a fabricated sense of self hatred. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world but it works for me.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I am fueled by a fabricated sense of self hatred. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world but it works for me.
    If you're aware that it's fabricated, how does it still work? Or, if you had to consciously construct it yourself, I wonder the reasons...

I only ask because it sounds familiar; I'm not trying to be rude.