User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well I'm honestly saying I identify a bit more with his depiction of introverts than extroverts. In fact, I almost feel that he was primarily describing ESxx people.

He noted that introversion and extroversion is more of a sliding scale, but you're correct, it does read a bit black and white...

The article is so over-the-top.
    Even I would have to turn in my extrovert membership card.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I'm extremely introverted, and yeah, I do feel that way sometimes...but this article makes it sound like we are constantly under seige. Even in my job, where it seems I have to be constantly on, it's not quite like that. (I have an understanding boss though.)
    Maybe it's a bit introvert backlash. I dunno, I'm at peace with my introversion. Most people when they realise, aren't arseholes about it....maybe that's Australian/NZ culture too though. Introversion has it's place.
    I think this has a bit more to do with confidence and less to do with introversion. In a meeting when some one interrupts you, all you have to do is tell them to hush up while you're talking. Questions will be answered, after I say my piece. A few times of this, and every one listens and waits with the questions. You have to do it firmly and with authority.
    I guess though this has taken me time to learn, along with other tricks, but is this article taking individualism too far? "I'm introverted. You have to accomadate to me."
    It's give and take.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Exactly. Happiness is definitely an aim of mine, just not in the terms the article defines it as....
    yeah, I agree. I appreciated the article but the thing about introverts not being that interested in the pursuit of happiness made no sense to me. I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be happy, introvert or extrovert - in one form or another. The article seemed to focus on the view of happiness as being something materialistic.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

When psychologists Catherine Caldwell-Harris and Ayse Ayçiçegi compared U.S. and Turkish samples, they found that having "an orientation inconsistent with societal values" is a risk factor for poor mental health. The findings support what the researchers call the personality-culture clash hypothesis: "Psychological adjustment depends on the degree of match between personality and the values of surrounding society." To the extent that introverts feel the need to explain, apologize, or feel guilty about what works best for them, they feel alienated not only from society but from themselves.
    Thank you, Psychology Today.
    Even if you do make introverts sound like a bunch of retards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

So where is this "revenge" they speak of??? I didnt see that part...

MBTI
    INTJ

Hey I like to brainstorm :steam:

I think they are extrapolating the feelings of those who don't know who they are or aren't comfortable with that person towards the whole introverted population.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I appreciated the article but the thing about introverts not being that interested in the pursuit of happiness made no sense to me. I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be happy, introvert or extrovert - in one form or another.
    Yes. And the bolded, I appreciate this but...is my usual reaction to the 'What is Introversion' topic when it pops up in popular magazines, books, internet sites, etc. One reason is that authors of these seem to lump together all their qualities that cause difficulties fitting in/being understood/coping in the world (like seeking meaning when everyone around you seems to be more concerned with status or momentary pleasure), and call them all defining qualities of introverts. I don't think that has to do with the introvert-extrovert continuum at all. I'm about as introverted as people get and I'm pretty damn hedonistic, and some extroverts seem very meaning-seeking and purposeful.

The book mentioned near the end of the article, The Introvert Advantage, does the same thing. I bought it and couldn't finish it, as it irritated the hell out of me. It seems to think the following are typical of introverts:

• Introverts are more likely to be religious or spiritual
    • Introverts like to work in long, uninterrupted periods rather than small chunks at a time, and hate interruptions
    • Introverts don't like to argue and prefer to seek agreement.
    • Introverts have "low energy" and are "slow" in everything from eating to thinking
    • Introverts are all about routine and are reluctant to even try new foods
    • Introverts are indecisive and indirect
    • Introverts tend to feel terribly ashamed of themselves for being what they are and need lots of reassurance of their acceptability (at least that's the impression I got from all the repeated affirmations in the book)
    • Introverts get overwhelmed and frazzled at everything and need their surroundings to be just right in order to be productive

I kept trying to figure out what personality type would relate best. ISFJs? INFJs? Certainly not introverted types in general.

Which brings me to another annoyance: The title is "Revenge of the Introverts" and the subtext on the magazine says, "How to Thrive in an Extroverted World". The book mentioned is called, "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World". Where's the revenge? Where's the advantage? The article is mostly about the drawbacks and problems introverts face (I did like the tips for extroverts on the bottom though), and the book practically treats introversion as a disability that requires constant care, adjustments and self-pampering. Neither really discuss "how to thrive", which is what I'd most like to know.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Most of the time articles like these lump all introverts and extroverts together into opposing groups, but if you took like an INTP for example, they'd have a good chance of being waaaaaay similar in terms of personality, interests, communication, ect to an ENTP, ENFP than a ISTJ. In certain ways though most introverts share very common traits, does this article mean "social extroverts" or the more specific kind because some introverts can be very social(and generally like people) while some extroverts can be loners(just look at Doc Brown, House).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

all this introvert/extrovert new agey crap irritates me a lot. This is not the first article that's overblown.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    The book mentioned near the end of the article, The Introvert Advantage, does the same thing. I bought it and couldn't finish it, as it irritated the hell out of me. It seems to think the following are typical of introverts:

• Introverts are more likely to be religious or spiritual
    • Introverts like to work in long, uninterrupted periods rather than small chunks at a time, and hate interruptions
    • Introverts don't like to argue and prefer to seek agreement.
    • Introverts have "low energy" and are "slow" in everything from eating to thinking
    • Introverts are all about routine and are reluctant to even try new foods
    • Introverts are indecisive and indirect
    • Introverts tend to feel terribly ashamed of themselves for being what they are and need lots of reassurance of their acceptability (at least that's the impression I got from all the repeated affirmations in the book)
    • Introverts get overwhelmed and frazzled at everything and need their surroundings to be just right in order to be productive

I kept trying to figure out what personality type would relate best. ISFJs? INFJs? Certainly not introverted types in general.

Which brings me to another annoyance: The title is "Revenge of the Introverts" and the subtext on the magazine says, "How to Thrive in an Extroverted World". The book mentioned is called, "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World". Where's the revenge? Where's the advantage? The article is mostly about the drawbacks and problems introverts face (I did like the tips for extroverts on the bottom though), and the book practically treats introversion as a disability that requires constant care, adjustments and self-pampering. Neither really discuss "how to thrive", which is what I'd most like to know.
    I think the article tries to cover too much ground and ends up contradicting itself.

I have that book and I don't remember it being as annoying as all that.
    I'm starting to wonder about this "slow thinking" thing though. My mind is pretty sharp. I'm usually waiting for other people to catch up.
    If it takes me a long time to think about something, it's usually because it's not very interesting to me - i.e. I can't be bothered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.