• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you "speak" inside of your head?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I mainly have ideas and facts in my head. concepts all mushed together. not images, not words.

Words are pretty fun but it's too slow and it weighs down my thinking process. Pictures are pretty fast but solely thinking of the 'essence' of these pictures is the fastest for me.

Also, this reminds me of Anime, mainly Kyon from Haruhi.

T

ThatGirl

I actually tend to think in pattens, dynamics, shapes.

If I think in dialog, content gets lost. I actually have to stop and translate into language before presenting ideas.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
People process with different concepts. In a thread a while ago, some people told they thought in pictures, some with sounds, some with thoughts.. lol..

I do speak in my head, but it's never a part of thought process. What I do is a rehearsal of some lines in a spoken dialogue. Personally, I think in visualized concepts for the most part.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes I start to, deliberately, but it usually turns into pictures or even multi-dimensional, amorphous "somethings" (can't even describe them) without my even realizing it. If I am trying to put a just-discovered concept into terms I can relate externally, this can be frustrating.

rav3n

Sometimes I start to, deliberately, but it usually turns into pictures or even multi-dimensional, amorphous "somethings" (can't even describe them) without my even realizing it. If I am trying to put a just-discovered concept into terms I can relate externally, this can be frustrating.
This is the weird shit I mentioned in an earlier post. It's the layer under the words.

When verbalising, it's directly from the weird shit. When writing, it's turned into words then externalised.

I'm guessing this is our Ni manifesting itself in a visuospatial manner.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Occasionally I "talk" to people inside of my head... that is, I respond to what people say during their conversations in my head. I don't always verbalize these "thoughts."

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think we all speak inside our head. You know, hear ourselves thinking?

I yell inside my head sometimes, when I have too much energy, but I'm in a situation that I have to be quiet. The thoughts never make sense either.

"CEREAL A MILLION QUESTION MARKS AND ONE?"

Is something I JUST thought (yelled) as I was looking for food a minute ago. Does that count?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
yes, plus I often refer to me as 'we' like I'll talk to different parts of me who are different from one another. They all look like me though, or they look like nothing, anyway.

Generally though, the main other 'me' is much more dominant and aggressive than the other me(s) I talk to (who often fade into nonexistence so then I'm left with just a duality). This me likes it when I stand up for myself, get angry, or when I take control. Also, when I hold very strong or antagonizing opinions..

It's all very fun and I don't give a fuck

Random Ness

I quite frequently do.

Also, I think in:

1. Feelings
2. Words/sounds
3. Pictures/movement

Last edited:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I have full on panel debates with myself and other perspectives .. Of course each voice is really just me. But each perspective kind of takes on it's own personality and it can get loud in there.

LucrativeSid

Sometimes my thoughts sort of come in words, but without specific words or sentence structures that another person would be able to understand if it was broadcast out loud. Sometimes, the thoughts are just symbols or understandings. I don't necessarily have to sound out each and every word to have a thought in my head. That's actually kind of a slow way to do it.

However, sometimes I want my thought process slow and clear. I pronounce each word in my head and then I can hear it in my memory almost as if I actually heard myself speak it. I do this with important thinking. I'll ask myself questions and make assertions or comments. It's almost like I'm a philosopher addressing an audience with something really important to say. There is a lot of focus and passion put into the words. The voice naturally sounds as if it's saying the most important thing in the world, both in question and in answer.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes often but if you would translate head to real world 1:1 it would be more a huge mixture of words, pictures, sounds and numbers in my head for me.

ditto. and feeeelings.

more image-thoughts than word-thoughts for me probably, i'm really visual