• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you "speak" inside of your head?

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I do this, but it gets on my nerves if I allow it to go on for too long. It's actually a large reason behind my talking to myself out reiterating comments I type outloud.
Course, there's a time and a place for talking to one's self :tongue:

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think this might be related to the multiple intelligences theory, where some people are more linguistic and some are more spatial-visual, etc

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, I speak to myself heaps, both internally and externally.

So do I. I figured everyone did. :shrug:

Well, the inner thing, anyway. I recognize not everyone does the external thingy. :D I however, do it all the time. One of my many eccentricities.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well I verbalise inside my mind and outside my mind just as much.
Its more like pep talks to get me to do stuff that I'm too passive in doing, like a mental note checker.

And the other day when there was this girl talking to herself I could of sworn she was talking to herself then I see she had a little earpiece and a mobile in her pocket, so common place now. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Doesn't everybody do this? Its kind of hard to imagine not doing so? The only people I can think of who hardly ever do this would be extreme extraverts because they spend so much time talking to real people that they hardly ever have time for internal monologues.

H

Hate

Yes, I do speak inside of my head.

But then again, a lot of other voices speak inside of my head too though. So it's a constant battle for dominance.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, I speak inside my head, not all the time, but when I am working out a problem, reading, or thinking of what I am going to write or speak about. When I was little, I used to speak these thoughts out loud, but as time progressed, the "self-talk" became internalized.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm constantly thinking. Quite often when I'm too busy to process, the very important thoughts will make themselves known to me and I acknowledge them and make a mental note to examine them as soon as I can. Usually I have a long mental checklist of important thoughts. When I get quiet time to myself, I process with dialogue. I think the way I write, without writing it down. When I recognize important insights that I have written in my head, I tend to record them on my blog or on notepad on my phone. I like to do this, because I can gain a stronger claim to my insights as valuable learnings that I have taught to myself. Quite often during this process, intuition takes over and fills in the gaps and I am able to gain better knowledge of whatever I'm thinking about. It seems almost subliminal at first, but I catch it and look closer, then learn that I was infact correct. I think this is one of the best things for me regarding this forum. I find I'm thinking about different threads and members. I end up pretty instantaniousely gaining insight, knowledge and understanding of what's going on with this type of inner dialogue in my thinking. I hope this made some sense!

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I speak inside my head all the time. I mean it's how I reason which is also what I call thinking. The real question is if their is a voice inside your head that is not on your concious control? Then were talking.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
yeah, i have dialogues/words going there often. they aren't anybody's words in particular, but i suppose i end up having to attribute them as "mine". Oh what silly unifications we humans use!

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I thought everyone did this. :s I believe the technical term is "thinking".

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
My mind sounds like a radio. Sometimes I think in monologues, sometimes in dialogues, sometimes I have songs in my head, sometimes there is a radio play in my head and lots of times it's like someone's trying to tune it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a normal basis I think in pictures and movies. Speaking and arguing in my head happens when I'm stressed. (Even now, I'm not thinking in words, I'm picturing to little people yelling at each other from across a table, haha).. Often if any speaking needs to be done, (a problem to figure out or something), I will just start talking out loud to myself.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Normally I hear music in my head (like a radio in the background), but I do hear myself speak too, often.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
My mind sounds like a radio. Sometimes I think in monologues, sometimes in dialogues, sometimes I have songs in my head, sometimes there is a radio play in my head and lots of times it's like someone's trying to tune it.

nice metaphor, its exactly the same with me. sometimes its like someone changing the channel all the time and i "hear" just small things from each radio station, sometimes it sets more easily to some station, but at times it just keeps changing all the time