User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yup, i do. On a couple of different levels. It can be talking to myself i.e. when i feel a panic attack coming on or I'm apprehensive about something I'll talk myself through it in my head to calm down/get a hold on the situation.

Sometimes i also rehearse conversations i think are going to be particularly difficult to have, to make sure i know what i really want to say before i say it.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Yes, there's always a running commentary goin' on in there. The bitch don't know how to shut up.

I wonder about the experience of those who don't do this. Some say visually--it's interesting, but I have absolutely no concept of it. How do you think about, say, an idea, visually? Or is it only reserved for things that were visual in the first place? Fascinating.
    Some others say emotionally. This really confuses me. How does one think "formlessly" for lack of a better word, as that's probably not the case for those who use this method. I just can't imagine thinking without something "precise" to think within-- be it language in my case, or images in others'. Emotions seem so...ambiguous. This is more a reflection of my lack of understanding than the reality for those who think this way, probably. It's interesting to say the least.

Verbalisations are the surface layer, especially when reading or formulating written responses. The weird shit happens underneath this layer.

Banned

Only when I'm about to write, read or say something.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

When I'm actively trying to figure something out, or just thinking about a certain concept, yes I do - definitely think in words. Quite a lot. It's hard to turn it off sometimes.

But other times it's much more....floaty. Random impressions, snippets of thoughts/ideas, feelings themselves (not thinking about/analyzing the feelings, just the feelings alone), all swirling around, more than one thing going on at once. When I haven't quite grabbed onto anything in particular yet to really delve into.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    The weird shit happens underneath this layer.
    May I ask to what degree you're aware of this process, or how best you could describe its "form?" As in, if you know that it's 'weird shit,' surely you'd have to understand it to a certain extent in order to make a judgement about it. How do arrive at an understanding without using words to think about it and put it in terms of "weird" at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    May I ask to what degree you're aware of this process, or how best you could describe its "form?" As in, if you know that it's 'weird shit,' surely you'd have to understand it to a certain extent in order to make a judgement about it. How do arrive at an understanding without using words to think about it and put it in terms of "weird" at all?
    Understood concepts have a feel to them, a sense of completeness. There are also fleeting images, some that feel like questions, others facts or data points of reference.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LSI

I always thought everybody does this...

As far as it goes for me, yeah, I do "speak" inside of my head, but these are usually things that I can't or won't actually say to/about other people. Among most people who know me I have a rep for "meanness", so in order to come off as less of an ass I usually will say something internally first, then change it so it sounds nicer, or at least less offensive.

Then there's the other thing, the annoying little "emo", for lack of a better word, internal voice that won't shut up, always whining about something that's happened to me, or that I did to somebody else. This is probably a product of me being an (emotionally) less-than-well-adjusted teen, though.

So, in general, id say that my "internal voice" is a largely emotional one that keeps my external (and more logical) words and actions in check.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Mhm, I often speak inside my head. It's like I'm talking out loud except it's all going on in my mind.

I often find my mouth twitching because my tongue and mouth still try to form the words but all the "audible" stuff is in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I started to say that I talk in my head, but then I realized that I only do this when I'm reading or composing what I'm going to say. The way I think involves talking in my head, but it's more than that. I think in movies. I don't think "I want a sandwich," I see myself in my head eating or making it. I can also hear what it will sound like when I chew, what it would feel like in my mouth and I will literally start to taste it on my tongue after a while. I get all 5 senses going on -- when I was little, my daydreams were so vivid that I would be startled when I'd get budged back into reality. When I'm projecting ahead to anticipate what a person will do, a dozen little movies will flicker by, all completely played out at once. Yes, I can "see" more than one thought at a time. My thought process isn't bogged down by this in the slightest -- I tend to think at light speed, like everything is on super-fast-forward. I like the way I think, when I'm preparing for something I feel as though I've done it already.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.