MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Fashion is the uniform of women.

So if we study the uniform, we study women.

For when a women becomes aroused, her eyes sparkle, her cheeks blush, her lips and nipples engorge, her breasts enlarge by about twenty-five percent and her hips tilt into the presenting position.

And fashion mimics arousal. Makeup and lipstick mimic sparkling eyes, blushing cheeks and engorged lips. And the brassiere mimics the increase in breast size. And high heel shoes tilt the hips into the presenting position.

Mimicry is normal in the animal kingdom, as many animals engage in mimicry to catch a mate. And when a women mimics arousal, she causes arousal in the male, who starts to think, not with his head, but with his gonads. But only mimicking arousal, the woman is able to think clearly and in the best interests of herself and her children. At this point the male is caught and lays his resources at her feet, in order to take her from mimicked arousal to genuine arousal.

Some of this is true regarding the really basic concepts behind what is considered attractive to wear. In everyday life, women seek to wear "flattering" fashion, which are basically clothes & makeup & hairstyles which emphasize those natural signals of being "sexy". Practical fashion tips focus on balancing the body proportions, applying makeup to enhance features but still look "natural", and to style the hair to look healthy.

Men's everyday fashion does this also - think about a suit for a moment. They emphasize broad shoulders, the tie is a phallic symbol, etc.

However, high fashion can be very subversive to these basic concepts. Just as with any art, it likes to challenge people's perspectives, especially when it comes to beauty and what is sexually attractive (as sexual attractiveness & beauty are not always one & the same). Example: you'll often see fashion playing with different silhouettes - ones which don't emphasize the natural form.

This is why the typical person turns their nose up at high fashion; "Who would wear that in real life? It's ridiculous!" or "That's ugly!". Women who embrace this end of fashion often do so because of the control it gives you over your own appearance, the creativity involved to set forth your own concept of what is aesthetically pleasing (or just interesting), the power to challenge what a woman is "supposed" to look like, etc. Most women just follow or are influenced by mainstream styles of dress, which is just to make themselves more attractive and/or to meet the requirements of appropriateness.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

for real! how boring to play by the rules! i would so wear avant garde style fancy costumey shit just for fun at lunch or go to the park if i could...screw appropriateness.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

When an overly-obese woman wears a really short and flirty skirt, where it looks like a pillow fight from behind, it's difficult not to make a comment.

Same goes for men who have comb-overs or horrible toupées. Think Donald Trump.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

So if someone is not sufficently ashamed of something (fat) or is overly shamed by something (baldness) then there is a need to point that out. Fashion is about having just the right amount of modesty?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

It's less about shame and more about knowing what's flattering.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    It's less about shame and more about knowing what's flattering.
    Why even wear flattering clothes.

Fashion isn't the problem. Image-awareness is the problem. Don't people have something better to do? That's why I like to hang out with INTPs. They rarely care about that sort of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Why even wear flattering clothes.

Fashion isn't the problem. Image-awareness is the problem. Don't people have something better to do? That's why I like to hang out with INTPs. They rarely care about that sort of shit.
    Wearing flattering clothing enhances what you're given naturally, rather than detracts from it. There are any number of reasons to do so.

As far as INTPs not being image-aware, from my personal anecdoetal experience, I'll have to disagree although I don't know copious numbers of them. Cutting edge fashion probably not but we're not discussing cutting edge. We're discussing flattering clothing which as far as I'm concerned, includes the caveat "within reason".

MBTI
    ISFJ

Wearing flattering clothing enhances what you're given naturally, rather than detracts from it. There are any number of reasons to do so.
    I know there are. Appearances.

As far as INTPs not being image-aware, from my personal anecdoetal experience, I'll have to disagree although I don't know copious numbers of them. Cutting edge fashion probably not but we're not discussing cutting edge. We're discussing flattering clothing which as far as I'm concerned, includes the caveat "within reason".
    INTP are not devoid of image-awareness, they are just less image-aware IME that most other types.

Btw, as far as flattering clothes are concerned...don't forget that people aren't always aware of whether it's flattering or not. I have no idea of what I wear is flattering or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I know there are. Appearances.
    That's a pretty definitive statement. Can you think of any other reasons?

Btw, as far as flattering clothes are concerned...don't forget that people aren't always aware of whether it's flattering or not. I have no idea of what I wear is flattering or not.
    Is this the crux of your concern?

MBTI
    ISFJ

That's a pretty definitive statement. Can you think of any other reasons?
    None that aren't tied to appearances. Well, apart from comfort. It can only be used for fashion or for function. Or for both.

Is this the crux of your concern?
    No. It really is about people spending energy in the wrong endeavors.