User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Hoarding

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Do you have someone close to you who is a hoarder, gromit? Are you trying to figure out what you can do for them?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I have developed hoarding tendencies that I caught before it got too far out of hand, but only just. I found myself buying four or five of anything I liked. I live in a tiny space, so it doesn't take much to make it cluttered, but I am tolerant of much more clutter now than I was even 10 years ago, when I kept my house pretty neat. But I don't have temptation to get more pets, for example, and I've stopped buying more than I need at the moment.

I think it is a way to insulate yourself from people. If your house is always a mess, you can't have people over. And if you have everything you need in your house, you don't need to go out where people are.

The cure rate for hoarding is very low.

MBTI
    yupp

whats the difference between a pack rat and a hoarder?

as far as i can tell a pack rat is a hoarder-lite still hoards but not to the extent of a hoarder, like they might have one room full of stuff.can a pack rat become a hoarder?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think our whole family has hoarding tendencies, my sister has it in extremis but it is problematic really because she is also an impulse buyer and engages in way, way too much in the way of retail therapy.

Myself I buy and hoard books, way too many of them, although I think I could part with most of them I would still want to keep a core collection and I know that it would be difficult to make choices. A lot of my books are to be read books but they are also books which for some reason I've bought with a view to keeping until they can be read, as opposed to simply saying, well, that will be available to buy when I've the time to read it. So it is a kind of hoarding.

My mum and dad have definite hoarding tendencies, I think its more to do with being from an era when things where worn out or less disposeable, when I put together collections of books to dispose of at the charity shop or sell or give away my mum will always take some out of it and keep them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I just bought a Kindle and hope to get rid of my books entirely. That will free significant space.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    This is overwhelming.
    It sure is. Like anorexia/bulimia I don't think it's possible to understand it unless it's happening to you. Perhaps not even then.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Oh, the bus comment reminds me... There is a guy in our neighborhood who is likely a hoarder. I don't know if anyone else has seen this type of behavior, but he hoards firewood. We recently caught a glimpse of his back yard (his fence was broke and falling apart), half of his backyard was piled about 5' high with firewood. He keeps it in his driveway, along the side of his house and in his backyard. We used to have a woodpile in the backyard and it took us about 10 years to go through all the wood... I can't imagine how long it would take to go through all that he has collected.

He's also got a school bus that he keeps various things in... It's currently also doubling as part of his fence.... We're pretty sure he's an alcoholic as one day when we walked past you could smell the liquor on his breath when he said hi and tried to chat with us...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This is overwhelming.

Yes, very. I don't envy anyone having to deal with it, especially when local authorities are on your ass about it too. I don't know what the rate of recovery is with this. It doesn't seem promising.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Do you have someone close to you who is a hoarder, gromit? Are you trying to figure out what you can do for them?
    Yes. I don't know how much information I want to post though. It is a little bit complicated, and somewhat time-sensitive.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    yupp

Yes. I don't know how much information I want to post though. It is a little bit complicated, and somewhat time-sensitive.
    why not pm fidelia? since it seems she knows stuff. and the rest of us can be blissfully ignorant. Unless you don't want to
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so