4 50.00%
  • no

4 50.00%
12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default what do you think..(finally going to the point i was heading with this)

if it would effect people picking up their kids from daycare centers early more often if daycare centers would add a 3 dollar fine every time you pick up your kid 10 minutes late? or would it have any effect?(i cant find a way to edit the poll, so poll question is for former question)

the answer:

they studied this and the weird thing was that late pick ups went up really much. Why? because the fines removed the quilt factor about picking your kid late, making it ok to do that if you pay little extra. but the interesting thing was that when they removed the fines, it changed nothing and late pick ups continued.

you can see about it here:
    Clay Shirky: How cognitive surplus will change the world | Video on TED.com skip to around 6 mins if you dont want to listen the whole speech

i have always thought that laws have the same kind of effect to people. if people would work on moral rules instead of rules set by law, i believe the world would be a better place. but removing all laws at this point wouldnt work, because it wouldnt change our behavior since the moral code has already been broken, and that sucks big time. but i think some laws could be removed without having this kind of effect. like for example in portugal, they made it legal to use any drugs, and use of hard drugs went down after this. imo making a law to anything is just ruining this world and doesent make it any better

what do you guys think about this same thing applying to laws?
    Last edited by INTP; 09-22-2010 at 04:55 AM.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    if it would effect people picking up their kids from daycare centers early more often if daycare centers would add a 3 dollar fine every time you pick up your kid 10 minutes late?
    The pre-school my eldest daughter went to charged $1 per minute past 6:00 PM as their late fee, and it worked like a charm.

That place was empty by 5:45 PM!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Hmm... I think it would depend on the person. We have a parking policy here... If you are parked in a visitors spot and you have a parking permit, we'll issue a ticket... your first one is free... Every one after that is a $25 fee... We had one woman that said she didn't care how many times we ticketed her and charged her a fee, she was going to keep doing it....until we told her that after your fourth one there isn't a fee, they kick you out of school for disobeying the rules. So, if someone is well off, I don't think money would make them stop...but if they weren't well off it probably would make them pick their kid up on time!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The pre-school my eldest daughter went to charged $1 per minute past 6:00 PM as their late fee, and it worked like a charm.

That place was empty by 5:45 PM!

I worked at a latchkey program throughout high school, and we had this same policy. Occasionally the parents would be late, but it was a rarity.

It was sort of a shame though, because from six on we would get doubletime for each fifteen minutes after.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Every action has a reaction. Most things that "make a difference" simply make the world a more shitty place.

Fuck late fees in general and the Nazis who impose and enforce them.

For the most part "late fees" have little relationship to the damage/costs they address and its just more punitive in nature discriminatory accelerated taxation against procrastinators/Ps. Far from the restitutionary nature it claims to be, it becomes institutionalized bunco

They need to have fees for people who are anal or sheeple, if for nothing else in the name of equity.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I voted "yes" but mainly because there was no maybe or depends option. If you don't make alot of money to begin with, and you have to spend a whole bunch of what you do make on childcare, then $3 can be a rather significant amount and might give people the incentive to pick their kids up on time. On the other hand, there are probably those people who aren't going to care much about paying the extra fine.

Also, is there a sliding scale for fees? There is a difference between being a few minutes late and a whole hour late. If the fine is small enough and you don't have a sliding scale, you might run across into people who use it to their advantage and keep the kids there far longer then they should be.

Also, I'm kind of uneasy at the idea of imposing fees for picking up kids late in the first place. Especially if its only a few minutes. Things happen. The meeting goes longer than planned. You get stuck in traffic, etc. Maybe fees for people who are chronically late would be ok.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

my mom is ISTJ. If she could pick me 1 minute early for 20 cents... she would

edit: i wrote this post forgetting i dont go to kindergarten anymore. lol

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    i wrote this post forgetting i dont go to kindergarten anymore. lol
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

rofl.

i guess i should grow up that was alarm.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post

rofl.

i guess i should grow up that was alarm.
    dont do it!
    — C.G. Jung

Read