User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENXP

Default Don't cure Bipolar Disorder, ADD, Dyslexia, Autism, or Schizophrenia!

I'm too tired to elucidate, but this is what I want to make a 20 minute presentation on in an ethics/philosophy course.

My two salient points would be:
    -What defines normal, anyway?
    -These people usually correlate with extreme intelligence and strengths in other areas (most geniuses are mentally disturbed)
    -Causes discrimination and misinformation through misdiagnoses

I'd like to here thoughts on this, though, on why we SHOULDN'T cure mental diseases.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 09-22-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: title typo

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

These things make people even more of a pain in the ass to deal with than people without these conditions.

So cure them.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Typically diagnoses and help go to people who suffer ego-dystonic disorders (OCD, etc), or ego-syntonic disorders that cause harm to themselves or those around them (Anorexia, etc). Why is there a problem with this?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    I'm too tired to elucidate, but this is what I want to make a 20 minute presentation on in an ethics/philosophy course.

My two salient points would be:
    -What defines normal, anyway?
    -These people usually correlate with extreme intelligence and strengths in other areas (most geniuses are mentally disturbed)
    -Causes discrimination and misinformation through misdiagnoses

I'd like to here thoughts on this, though, on why we SHOULDN'T cure mental diseases.
    I'm intrigued by your list of mental disorders we shouldn't cure. They don't all seem comparable to me. I would probably be much more invested in finding a cure (or rather, a successful treatment- see below) for schizophrenia and bipolar than for the others in your list since they are more disruptive and in some cases dangerous. Have you ever known a person with schizophrenia or bipolar? It's not fun. I'm sure most would welcome some respite from the symptoms. Though less severe, AD(H)D and dyslexia also present symptoms that I think most would like to be relieved of. People with autism seem to be pretty content the way they are, from what I can tell- the problem is that the rest of us would like to connect and join them in their world, and we often can't.

For the most part I don't think we'll have to worry about there being cures for them as I think most of them are neurological differences on a pretty fundamental (foundational) level. I don't really see how we could cure them without completely rewiring the brain. Treatment, though, is another story. Are you also against treatment for the things on your list?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFP

The only problem here is severity... what if they're mental illness is making them want to commit suicide! What if it is tormenting them to the point where they feel like death is the only escape... what happens when the low become so low and the highs more sparse that life seems not worth living and their work or genius points become less and less... Is it better to loose some of the genius than to lose all of it to the earth below our feet!?

Just throwing it out there because I began reading this thread totally against curing mental illness.... (Oh no does that make me like Tom cruise! YIKES if ever there was a case for meds HEE HEE) But I digress... anyways and then this thought popped into my head so being me I couldn't keep it off the page.. cos I often type before I think which comes as no surprise I know!?

But yea... so I'm not sure my standpoint now!
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    yupp

disorcer! yeah I agree disorcer's shouldn't be cured. disorders how ever that's up for debate. if you've ever irrationally thought about killing yourself because you were so paranoid and thought the world was out to get you, when rationally they were just busy with school and other things you'll understand why sometimes its good to want help.

I mean to the point of you had it set up and got very close to doing it but then couldn't find your check book and you had to pay rent before you offed yourself. so you got drunk instead because it was all you could do with out your checkbook.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

You can't "cure" mental illness because abnormal behavior is defined by behavior that is not socially accepted and what is functionally acceptable behavior.

Mental illness is inexplicably linked with societal norms and functional norms. You cannot separate them without a police state or utter chaos ensuing. You can only "treat" mental illness because some of what the DSMV names as mental illness is socially defined (example until recently:homosexuality).
    Last edited by MDP2525; 09-21-2010 at 08:30 PM.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    Do you mean that even if the person wants the treatment, we shouldn't? Or that we shouldn't automatically try to treat them?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Do you mean that even if the person wants the treatment, we shouldn't? Or that we shouldn't automatically try to treat them?
    if it's the former, you (the OP dude) obviously don't have some of the disorders you listed there... and being told that it's bad to treat bipolar disorder is an asshole move- try it out for a while and see if you think the same thing

if it's the later, you haven't seen someone in the thrall of some of those disorders wandering around in public have you?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

ah...hmm...it really depends on the disorder...I think your paper will fail if you grant equal strength to all of these illnesses and disorders ...one of the best ways to write an A paper in any event is to remember to point out the drawbacks or arguments AGAINST your primary thesis, and it's truthfully not logical to compare a crippling, life-destroying mental illness like Schizophrenia to something that can be more easily managed like ADD.

I agree that patients shouldn't be over-medicated and their natural strengths and differences should be celebrated. I strongly feel there is a place in society for all of the bipolar geniuses and schizophrenic artists and autistic mathematicians, etc. and it's doing both the individual and society a complete disservice if these people are treated as though there's no redeeming qualities about their personality and conditions.

Look into orthomolecular therapy, and start researching treatments that are less extreme for these conditions, and build your argument to prove how these people provide something valuable that is a total loss when it's over-medicated or treated strictly as an illness when in fact there are strengths these people have, just like everyone else.