User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

real solution is a proper diagnosing, not leaving this kind of illnesses untreated..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    I'm too tired to elucidate, but this is what I want to make a 20 minute presentation on in an ethics/philosophy course.

My two salient points would be:
    -What defines normal, anyway?
    -These people usually correlate with extreme intelligence and strengths in other areas (most geniuses are mentally disturbed)
    -Causes discrimination and misinformation through misdiagnoses

I'd like to here thoughts on this, though, on why we SHOULDN'T cure mental diseases.
    I present to you the subject of Psychological Homeostasis..

This is why we should try to cure or treat mental illness.

Neural Being: Psychological Homeostasis

MBTI
    ESFP

Do you suffer from any of these conditions? If not, then I don't think you have any basis to comment on the cost of treating or not treating them.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

A disease is something you catch, a mental illness is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Be careful about your distinctions.

How can you 'cure' something that isn't actually a disease?

-What defines normal, anyway?

Normal is not having hallucinations that the sky is going to fall in on you.
    Normal is the ability to actually be able to get out of bed in the morning (most anyway) and see enough of a point to even existing that you actually DO get out of bed.
    Normal is not feeling so detached that it is like you are living your life looking in on someone else.
    Normal is not COMPULSIVE nameless, faceless, degrading sex with strangers because you need to feel SOMETHING, anything, more than what you currently do.
    Normal is not cutting yourself to ribbons because you cannot articulate the immense feelings you have inside.
    Normal is not selling everything you own and moving overseas in a two week period with no job, no money and using everyone who is kind enough to let you in.
    Normal is the feeling i have when my medication works and the feeling is f*cking amazingly indescribable. I didn't even KNOW what 'normal' felt like until i was 27.

-These people usually correlate with extreme intelligence and strengths in other areas (most geniuses are mentally disturbed)

Sure, i can be creative, i'm good at art and write well, but genius? Sorry, i seem to have missed out on that one. In fact, i seem to have missed this entire year of university because of repeated relapses of my Bi-Polar. I guess my "genius" will kick in and i won't have to take my classes all over again.

-Causes discrimination and misinformation through misdiagnoses
    With this point, what exactly are you asking? That the diagnosis of mental illness causes discrimination or that people with them are discriminated against? I'm a little confused by this one.

But my opinion is just my own, and more slightly tainted by the fact that I've had a shitty year with my illness.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    Do you suffer from any of these conditions? If not, then I don't think you have any basis to comment on the cost of treating or not treating them.
    Well this is why I took some interest in the topic. I think that many "sufferers" of mental illnesses may actually feel the same way as the OP...

(Well, I should clarify. While they may want to treat the negatives of their illnesses, they will really miss the positives... To the point that they may not want to treat their illness or may not consider it to be an illness at all.. Considering the benefits.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well this is why I took some interest in the topic. I think that many "sufferers" of mental illnesses may actually feel the same way as the OP.
    yeah, exactly.

i mean, again, curing =/= treating. I'm still bipolar even if I'm on my meds, and i LOVE that person. being cured would entail totally rewiring me and that make me pause a little.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    yeah, exactly.

i mean, again, curing =/= treating. I'm still bipolar even if I'm on my meds, but being cured would entail totally rewiring me. that make me pause a little.

Well, curing does not equal treating in my mind. BUT.... Given options... Would you rather be untreated, treated, or cured completely? (You may have to give some thought about what it would be like to be cured completely, since that is currently unavailable) (I guess we are just carrying on from my thread) (and of course you are welcome to talk about any options other than my three...)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well, curing does not equal treating in my mind. BUT.... Given options... Would you rather be untreated, treated, or cured completely? (You may have to give some thought about what it would be like to be cured completely, since that is currently unavailable) (I guess we are just carrying on from my thread) (and of course you are welcome to talk about any options other than my three...)
    I would imagine people would like to be cured of the unsatisfactory symptoms, yet uncured of the satisfactory symptoms... Which would make them some kind of a superhero...

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Well, curing does not equal treating in my mind.
    no, that's what i'm saying too...=/= was supposed to be like the does not equal sign, lol

BUT.... Given options... Would you rather be untreated, treated, or cured completely? (You may have to give some thought about what it would be like to be cured completely, since that is currently unavailable)
    yeah that's kind of what i meant in my initial post. "curing" me would entail totally rewiring me and that's what makes me pause. I see a lot of my "disorder" as being the way that I think....and not all of it is bad! again i've always been glad for the assistance i have coping with the negative via my treatment, but sometimes i can't help but think about if it's really so abnormal that I have a hard time coping in the first place. if that makes sense. i dunno, i see it as a rather complex issue.

I would imagine people would like to be cured of the unsatisfactory symptoms, yet uncured of the satisfactory symptoms... Which would make them some kind of a superhero...
    i'd say that falls under the category of "treatment", haha.

i mean, assuming of course that things will never get hairy ever again. Treatment is never a guarantee of that, but again even neurotypical people go through that..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    no, that's what i'm saying too...=/= was supposed to be like the does not equal sign, lol

yeah that's kind of what i meant in my initial post. "curing" me would entail totally rewiring me and that's what makes me pause. I see a lot of my "disorder" as being the way that I think....and not all of it is bad! again i've always been glad for the assistance i have coping with the negative via my treatment, but sometimes i can't help but think about if it's really so abnormal that I have a hard time coping in the first place. if that makes sense. i dunno, i see it as a rather complex issue.

i'd say that falls under the category of "treatment", haha.

i mean, assuming of course that things will never get hairy ever again. Treatment is never a guarantee of that, but again even neurotypical people go through that..

When I think about "treatment" I think about medications and therapy. Do you agree? I never thought that medications and therapy turned people into superheroes. But that sometimes medication turns people into nothing- and therapy can help people cope.

I agree with everything you say, (being someone without acute mental illness).

"Curing" is unimaginable to me right now.

I think that most people have a hard time coping. It is difficult to discern what is a mental illness and what is normal.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.