User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 48

  1. #21
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    Well, I disagree with all of the stuff that you wrote in the OP. Many people with mental disorders struggle greatly to function in this society, regardless of their other strengths. It's just very difficult to thrive with the added burden of extreme depression or hallucinations or lack of social skills or whatever. Balance is required for happiness in living. (In current society.) It is also required to handle most everyday problems. (Finances, health, family...)

    However, I don't hear about much effort to try to cure these diseases to begin with. I hear about a lot of medicating for symptoms and not too much about trying to figure out roots and trends in the problem.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  2. #22
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,748

    Default

    And I think a lot of time the strengths can be the exception to the rule.
    Schizophrenia, for instance.
    Many are geniuses, but over time, left untreated, schizophrenics will incorporate more and more bizarre behaviors until they are completely homeless, nonsensical, on drugs (to self-medicate), and sitting on their death bed. The disease is very degenerative. It doesn't maintain this level of "semi-cookoo genius." It is dangerous and in it's scariest form you can have a serial murderer on the loose.

    Bipolar: Yes... Maybe at it's most manic level you may have this crazy artist coming up with all these amazing pieces of art or in any job, able to work so much and with great passion that they can come up with amazing things.. But, what about everything else? What about the depressive end of their mood when they want to commit suicide? Or the hundreds of bipolar people who use their manias on dangerous sex and going hundreds of thousands of dollars on debt in spending sprees?

    What about the hundreds of autistic kids who may have a talent in one specific area but would rather just fit in with all the other kids? What does that do for their quality of life?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  3. #23
    Cat Wench ReadingRainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    I'm too tired to elucidate, but this is what I want to make a 20 minute presentation on in an ethics/philosophy course.

    My two salient points would be:
    -What defines normal, anyway?
    -These people usually correlate with extreme intelligence and strengths in other areas (most geniuses are mentally disturbed)
    -Causes discrimination and misinformation through misdiagnoses

    I'd like to here thoughts on this, though, on why we SHOULDN'T cure mental diseases.
    After you've been affected personally, then I say you come back here, and you tell us YOUR thoughts. I knew lady when I was in treatment, that now has to go for shock therapy from a traumatic event (that she had no control over by the way) that happened 10 + years ago, and not because she doesn't choose to get over it, it's because She has Bipolar and PTSD and it is bad. Now, I'm of the mindset that it's cruel to allow people to suffer like that with no help.

    Educate Yourself Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

  4. #24
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    After you've been affected personally, then I say you come back here, and you tell us YOUR thoughts. I knew lady when I was in treatment, that now has to go for shock therapy from a traumatic event (that she had no control over by the way) that happened 10 + years ago, and not because she doesn't choose to get over it, it's because She has Bipolar and PTSD and it is bad. Now, I'm of the mindset that it's cruel to allow people to suffer like that with no help.

    Educate Yourself Please.
    I could be wrong, but I think he's simply gathering information. Seems to be going well.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  5. #25
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Don't cure anything that keeps the fun medicines from being dispensed.

    Get rid of all the sissy medicines.

    That will fix alot.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  6. #26
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    A lot of artists and writers have been inspired by their horrible childhoods or tragic events. Therefore, we should not try to remove children from unfit homes or try to prevent accidents, or try to save lives with medical treatment, because we could be preventing the development of the next Beethoven.

    edit: [/sarcasm]

    By the way, it'd be slightly less blatant cheating if you at least asked for points against your argument (so you could think about counterarguments). The whole point of a philosophy class is developing logical arguments, not stealing them off the internet....
    An unfit home. What an appellation.

    This is the term the social sector uses.
    Autist kids refuse to eat certain kinds of foodstuffs. It is a known fact.
    There was an autist kid who refused to eat berry porridge at school. The teacher contacted the social sector. The kid was promptly removed from his home. It was an unfit home.
    A home that had not compelled an autist kid to eat the kind of food autist kids do not eat.

  7. #27
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    hah im not going to give you my reasonings for why i think some of them have utility in many situations.... thats sekretz 4 me.

    what i will do is agree with you on the following:


    Bipolar, ADD, autism and schizophrenia all have, or go along-side with, very adaptive traits.


    ESPECIALLY autism. as it is a blanket diagnosis, it worngly covers those who are not diseased but are a product of evolution. 50 % of the genius savants out there also meet criteria for full blown autism. some of the abilities autsies have are utterly astounding, there's an autist in Russia who can recall strings of 100+ digits presented in 3-4 seconds with nearly 100% accuracy. I personally think Cavendish was autistic - the traits are certainly there in his bio anyway.

    not sure why dyslexia makes that list. it doesnt really accompany anything else from what i can tell, and its doesnt have any side benefits.

  8. #28
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Curing a broken leg is ok but...curing a person who suffers from BPD is ...not?
    curing a broken leg is wrong because having one broken leg will make the other one stronger!
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  9. #29

  10. #30
    THIS bitch stringstheory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    1
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    932

    Default

    you know, as someone diagnosed with bipolar disorder I actually do think about this from time to time and I think to some degree I agree.

    I often ponder this when I'm reflecting on what has triggered a recent depressive episode. I mentioned this in another thread on the subject but it fucking SUCKS to live in a world that just utterly tramples your values, which is commonly my trigger. There's literally no escape, you are trapped. That's scary. Obviously my brain/body chemistry plays a big role in how i cope with this, but the outside influences are why I have to cope in the first place. i can't help but wonder sometimes where the problem really lies: with me or the outside world? Of course the answer is a little bit of both but....still, how's that any different than a "normal" person. Considering the above i can't see how that wouldn't be difficult to cope with from time to time.

    Yes the negatives really suck, and i mean REALLY suck. What i go through when i'm unstable is awful and while it was hard to admit at first i am grateful for the assistance i receive in order to cope. but there's a difference between "treating" and "curing". Just because i am being treated for bipolar disorder doesn't mean it's been cured. It doesn't go away. when I'm healthy and stable i LIKE that person, and if that were to be "cured" I have little doubt that i'd be an entirely different person regardless of the status of my health or stability. To imply otherwise is...well, i don't know. Something about that disturbs me a little. I very much believe this applies to my mother (ADHD), my two brothers (Dyslexia/non-verbal learning disabilities, and Tourette's) and my father (Bipolar/OCD).

    In terms of how I think this relates to other "disorders" i'd recommend the book "Kids in the Syndrome Mix"; it's a great intro to co-morbid disorders like Bipolar, ADHD (if you're going to be doing a presentation on this, be aware that ADD is technically not an official diagnosis anymore; it's now "ADHD w/out hyperactivity"), Tourette's, OCD, Central Auditory Processing Disorders (CAPD) non-verbal learning disabilities like Dyslexia, Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), Depression, Asperger's/ASD, and sensory integration disorder (SID). this might give you a great idea of the bigger picture of non-NT brains and how these are ALL intertwined, and help you with your presentation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)



Similar Threads

  1. Bipolar disorder and cyclothymia
    By King sns in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 12:52 PM
  2. How does Bipolar disorder affect personality type?
    By Tyrinth in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM
  3. Bipolar Disorder
    By raz in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO