User Tag List

Thread: Revenge isn't always bad, right?

Default Revenge isn't always bad, right?

What do you guys think? I feel that sometimes revenge can teach people a lesson.

I remember seeing a guy on the other side of the road driving crazy, running through red lights, so I honked at and gave him a dirty look. He flipped around and caught up with me 3 blocks later, rolled his window down and called me a stupid f*cking gook, and hawked a loogie towards my car. He looked like a crazy dude high on meth. It freaked me out! It definitely taught me a lesson...dont mess with people on the road, they could be psycho! Havnt done anything like that since.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Banned Array

There is a proverb that says:

If you go on the journey of revenge. Dig two graves.

Revenge might feel good.. but if you have a conscience it will destroy your soul.

Instead forgive them and kill them with kindness and compassion.
    Not always easy, but I have seen it work.

Senior Member Array MonkeyGrass's Avatar

I think that's really more of a natural consequence of poorly thought out actions than actual revenge. ::muse:: You got a natural reaction from a crazy dude. (I don't blame you for feeling so frustrated, for sure)

Revenge, I think, is usually reserved for something really insidious or cruel or life-altering, and it's fairly calculated, I think. I think revenge is about hurting the other person back to gain some peace for yourself.

If you're the one acted upon, I'm sure you can learn from it; people can chose to learn from just about anything. There's always a lesson, if you look for it.

If you're the one acting out of revenge with the supposed purpose of teaching someone a lesson, you can be sure that if they can't be calmly reasoned with in a way that irons things out, they're likely not going to learn much from violence, either. Nine times out of ten, I think returning violence with violence just serves to escalate foolishness.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

I don't believe in revenge. I believe in moral highground and building peace one peace gesture at a time.

I don't necessarily believe in revenge...

But I do believe that there is a balance in the universe. Karma is a bitch and she will definitely get back at those who have done people wrong. If someone does an action against me, I will repay them if the opportunity presents, but I won't go out of my way to do so.