Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    Does lack of sleep seem to make it worse, for you?

I find it does, and it can be a real bitch to deal with.
    Positive feedback loop...
    Being sleep deprived causes anxiety, and anxiety prevents sleep. : (
    Lack of sleep makes me a borderline psycho. I have to sleep. If I'm sleep deprived and I get in a car, I think that every little thing is going to cause a car accident (a major phobia I have in combination with my other anxiety issues.)

I used to have terrible panic attacks, but I take medication now. It helps tremendously - I mean it's amazing how much better I am now - but nothing ever makes you not have an illness.

I think proper sleep is one of the primary things you need along with otherwise being sensible about your health. I have some sort of delayed sleep phase thing, though. Ever since I was a teenager. I mean, I've always been a "night person" (my whole family seems to be that way...strange) but I truly can't function if I have to consistently get up at, say, six A.M. I have to be able to get up in the late morning. My body will not adjust.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Lack of sleep makes me a borderline psycho. I have to sleep. If I'm sleep deprived and I get in a car, I think that every little thing is going to cause a car accident (a major phobia I have in combination with my other anxiety issues.)

I used to have terrible panic attacks, but I take medication now. It helps tremendously - I mean it's amazing how much better I am now - but nothing ever makes you not have an illness.

I think proper sleep is one of the primary things you need along with otherwise being sensible about your health. I have some sort of delayed sleep phase thing, though. Ever since I was a teenager. I mean, I've always been a "night person" (my whole family seems to be that way...strange) but I truly can't function if I have to consistently get up at, say, six A.M. I have to be able to get up in the late morning. My body will not adjust.
    I took the pharmaceutical route once, and it worked fantastically, for a period of time... But then it seemed to cause a rebound effect, and even just staying at a stable dose seemed to be worse than before I started. I had horrible panic attacks an insomnia until I would increased the dose again. Eventually, I realized the pattern that was taking hold, and I decided I wanted to stop taking it.
    So next was the really fun part; weening off of it, ugh...

Glad to hear it has worked for you, though.
    Anxiety really sucks, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Definitely empathize with a delayed sleep phase thing too... I got a consistent 0-4 hours of sleep, prettymuch EVERY weeknight when I was in highschool.
    Not fun, especially when I'd then try to drink caffeine in the morning.

I think the most effective thing I've personally found effective to treat it so far is accomplishing things... Cleaning, exercise, working on projects, whatever. Anything to get me up and moving around seems to help, maybe even if only as a distraction, I guess.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    I took the pharmaceutical route once, and it worked fantastically, for a period of time... But then it seemed to cause a rebound effect, and even just staying at a stable dose seemed to be worse than before I started. I had horrible panic attacks an insomnia until I would increased the dose again. Eventually, I realized the pattern that was taking hold, and I decided I wanted to stop taking it.
    So next was the really fun part; weening off of it, ugh...

Glad to hear it has worked for you, though.
    Anxiety really sucks, I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Definitely empathize with a delayed sleep phase thing too... I got a consistent 0-4 hours of sleep, prettymuch EVERY weeknight when I was in highschool.
    Not fun, especially when I'd then try to drink caffeine in the morning.

I think the most effective thing I've personally found effective to treat it so far is accomplishing things... Cleaning, exercise, working on projects, whatever. Anything to get me up and moving around seems to help, maybe even if only as a distraction, I guess.
    I've been on the same dosage of meds for almost two years. In fact, my anti-depressant was lowered, not raised, by 50 mg when I moved to California and was switched to a different form of the same med.

I did have to try other meds, first, though.

I was completely unmedicated (aside from self-medicating) until I was almost 25 years old. I also had to endure panic attacks, temporary agoraphobia, social anxiety, depression, and symptoms of OCD, like the horrifying images thing. It got worse as I got older. I think it started at some point in childhood or adolescence, but fully took hold of me in my early twenties.

I'd rather be functional. I'd rather be able to handle life and not be hiding or scared. The most bizarre thing about all of it is that in certain ways I'm exceptionally brave and bold compared to some other people. It makes no sense at all.

It has to be holistic, the treatment of any mental illness. It requires taking care of your physical helath. It also helps tremendously that I realize that it's this freaky thing my mind does to me, so I'm now able to do breathing exercises or talk myself down. I also know that having someone hug or hold me reduces anxiety greatly, and distracting myself, like you mentioned.

I sleep well, but I used to have some horrifying recurring nightmares when I was young.. I can't even put them into words. It was always this scene of being enclosed by chaos..vicious things on each side.. almost shapeless, putrid figures readying themselves to smash into me.

Other than that, I've had some strange, extremely violent dreams when I was concerned about some people I knew. They're the only kind of dreams I never felt "weak" in.. like I was literally ripping limbs off of anyone bothering them (sorry if that's disturbing. It is what it is).