• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Opposite of Truth

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would like to explore that more, yes. That sounds right to me :yes:
Also, when I saw the OP, my first thought was that Ti and Fi both in their own way seek to find Truths, as well as not seeing how Te and Fe consequently would consist of lying..just that they don't particularly focus on the Truth, rather than Getting the Job Done.

That sounds about right to me.

So Ti truth would be about feeling consistancy. Which seems to match up even with what I see in an Fe dom(not as default, but the value/truth portion is still very present).

G

Ginkgo

No, it would prove that the theory existed because you used the functions in the theory to lie.

:huh:

The theory exists, but that doesn't prove that the theory exists.

A person lying only proves itself, observably.

If lying proves functional theory, then we would have had functional theory the first time someone ever told a lie.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Using functions to lie would mean that you are lying about functional theory.

This is what I was going off of when making my statement. How can you use something if it doesn't exist? Just because someone thought of something doesn't mean it didn't already exist. So, technically this theory has always existed, but the idea itself had never been manifested through words.

G

Ginkgo

This is what I was going off of when making my statement. How can you use something if it doesn't exist? Just because someone thought of something doesn't mean it didn't already exist. So, technically this theory has always existed, but the idea itself had never been manifested through words.

I'm confused.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lie is a deliberate untruth. As you say, a lie itself is not necessarily immoral. A lie can contribute to what constitutes the greater good, thus the act of lying itself is not morally illogical either. A lie just is.

It's the intent of the lie, the reason for the lie, that makes lying a potentially immoral act.

But, since the word lying itself has a negative connotation, now the emotional tone of the thread is indeed caught up in that provocative dynamic, making people feel angry and confrontational.

Perhaps saying that if Ti is truth, Fe untruth would have been a better oppositional pair to argue from, less charged with emotion? Get you more of the result you are looking for? Even as I type that though, I don't like how it looks either.
;) Yup. It's interesting, eh? I don't really set out with a result in mind...I just see where it leads.
I would say that each function has its own truth and blind-spot, which is why in reality none of them are expressed in isolation of each other, and why we weigh pros and cons based on our own cognitive vantage points.

I don't think it's possible to look at a pure distillation of each function IRL since they are blended together so homogeneously.
Analysis requires that we identify what a function is and is not, what it does or does not do. Otherwise why have a theory of functions/types at all?
I'm confused.
Then stop being deliberately obtuse.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You had said that using functions to lie would mean that the function theory was a lie. This doesn't make sense, because in order to use them they'd have to exist.

G

Ginkgo

You had said that using functions to lie would mean that the function theory was a lie. This doesn't make sense, because in order to use them they'd have to exist.

NO! That's not what I said. Lying about functional theory =/= Functional theory is a lie. You could lie about Lake Loch Ness, but that doesn't mean that Lake Loch Ness is either a lie or untrue.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

NO! That's not what I said. Lying about functional theory =/= Functional theory is a lie. You could lie about Lake Loch Ness, but that doesn't mean that Lake Loch Ness is either a lie or untrue.

It is, because I quoted it a post earlier, with no altercations other than eliminating the sentence before it.

This is true, but has no bearing on the point we were just making.You are right as well because we don't know whether it exists or not, therefore it cannot be a lie, or a truth.

P.S. Actually it would if it doesn't exist and you were saying it did.

P.S.S. I see the miscommunication. You used the word 'about'. You were just repeating yourself from earlier instead of making a new point.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I've gotta go to work now. Try not to take this point too seriously. I'm just thinking here.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lie is a deliberate untruth. As you say, a lie itself is not necessarily immoral. A lie can contribute to what constitutes the greater good, thus the act of lying itself is not morally illogical either. A lie just is.

I once tried to make this argument, only to be told how WRONG I was. Fuckin' INTPs.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you mean to say you once failed to make this argument?
Yeah, I think I remember that. :p

Yeah, INTPs can be really too anal and narrow-minded to wrap their brains around repeated explanations!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ Ooooh let's start that argument then, this one is getting boring.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Hey! Start your own arguments!

Yeah, INTPs can be really too anal and narrow-minded to wrap their brains around repeated explanations!

I thought that was INTJs?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope, INTJs hate repetition even more than they love being anal about stuff :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs do a good impression sometimes.
Are you actually going to make a worthwhile contribution to this thread or are you just going to keep indirectly dissing me? 'Cos you're a bit late to that party.

G

Ginkgo

Are you actually going to make a worthwhile contribution to this thread or are you just going to keep indirectly dissing me? 'Cos you're a bit late to that party.

His name suggests that he is a plot device and nothing more.