• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Opposite of Truth

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not sure about that...

I see it this way,
T truth = facts
F truth = opinion

So,
Fi = personal opinion
Fe = public opinion

Oh hell no. You don't think that Ti and Te have "opinions"? Te I personally trust more (though I would, given my function preferences) because it can be tested empirically...but it's still open to interpretation, and Ti definitely can be full of opinion and speculation because while the internal logic process can be correct, if it's based around a false idea the entire theory falls apart, no matter how clear the logic pattern is made.

I tend to categorize Te and Se as "objective truth" but there's always room for interpretation.

Fi = personal ethics, morality, aesthetics
Fe = communal ethics, for the good of the group morality

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
well i think it's interesting too...it's like kids blurting out exactly what's on their mind or having a tantrum when they're upset. they have not yet learned to adjust their behavior to make others feel better...it's total honesty and i love it....sometimes i wanna have a tantrum too and it's just not allowed at my age...kinda not fair.

You should have a tantrum sometime. It's freeing. Just not in public.

And with your tert Te, you should have no problem with blurting out the truth.

redacted

Not sure about that...

I see it this way,
T truth = facts
F truth = opinion

So,
Fi = personal opinion
Fe = public opinion

No no no...

There is no such thing as F truth.

I guarantee someone is going to misunderstand what I mean by that, so let me be clear. F types MUST use a T function to make a truth judgment. Just like T types MUST use an F function to make a value judgment. Everyone uses T and F all the time. Whether you're a T or an F has to do with your conscious narrative -- it doesn't restrict your access to certain functions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As for the OPs original idea, I think that Fe vs. Te are in much more conflict than Ti and Fe. Te tends to be more blunt, Fe more diplomatic.

Your theory doesn't make a bit of sense, anyway, when we regard the fact that all people with Ti have Fe and all people with Te have Fi. That means those two functions go together because you get your logic outward/ethics inward or logic inward/ethics outward. It's one of the easiest way to settle on an MBTI type, probably, because one or the other will seem more right to you, and the other may seem preposterous.

Also, ExTPs support their auxillary Ti with tert Fe, and IxFJs support their auxillary Fe with tert Ti, so your application specifically to IxTPs regarding this theory seems more than a bit self-serving. Good logic, bad original idea. Ti fail. :coffee:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ha. As a TP in a relationship with an FP, I beg to differ!

But if your Fe is inferior, and your partner's Te is inferior, it's going to be much less of an issue than if both of the functions were at least tertiary.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
No no no...

There is no such thing as F truth.

I guarantee someone is going to misunderstand what I mean by that, so let me be clear. F types MUST use a T function to make a truth judgment. Just like T types MUST use an F function to make a value judgment. Everyone uses T and F all the time. Whether you're a T or an F has to do with your conscious narrative -- it doesn't restrict your access to certain functions.

Well, it was a poor choice of word then. Agree that it's not an either/or thing in people. But are we talking about people or functions here?

T judgment is a judgment based on facts. But that doesn't mean that an F judgment doesn't use facts at all. It's just that it interprets the facts subjectively, hence the output tends to be in the form of an opinion. Or am I totally out of whack here? :)

redacted

But if your Fe is inferior, and your partner's Te is inferior, it's going to be much less of an issue than if both of the functions were at least tertiary.

The real problem I see is actually my Fe and her Fi.

We're both good with logic (she's gotta be at least 95th percentile, and, well, I'm higher than that).

Anyway, I constantly check who is around and what's going on because I think it would be irresponsible to make a value judgment without all of that information. Whereas she sees that as me wasting time, and wonders why I need so much data to agree or disagree with a value.

P.S. my first post wasn't really that serious.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm surprised that we have 7 pages in the thread and no one has said "The truth? You can't handle the truth!" yet :D

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Nitpicking here, but that's just the T version of truth. Breaking it down further, Ti 'truth' is what is logically consistent, whereas Te 'truth' is what is empirically proven.

Agreed.

Jaguar

"The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

0.jpg

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, I didn't find it that funny. Cringe-worthy as you say, and definitely some entertaining moments, but I found it interesting that my hubs (estj) and daughter (intj) found it way funnier than I did. They were LOL'ing especially in the first half.

I'm not really sure why I didn't find it as humorous. Haven't analyzed it deep enough to know why either. I think I'd have to watch it again to articulate.
Analysis is paralysis (as far as humour goes). :) But I'll give it a go. Laughing represents a release of tension. We see something that looks threatening, and then we are relieved that it's actually not serious. We're momentarily shocked, then relieved. Tension/release.
Unpalatable truths can be perceived as threatening, but the context (movie) means we don't have to take it seriously, therefore, we laugh.
Let's take something from the opening scene, as an example:

[FONT=&quot]Jennifer: Hi, you’re early! I was just masturbating.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark: That makes me think of your vagina.[/FONT]

Which I found devastatingly funny. But neither of the characters were amused, in fact a lot of the humour relied on Gervais' character being put-out/put-down in some way. I guess if you empathise with the character then you might find it offensive. If you see it for the absurd set-up (that it is) you don't.

Personally, I love the humour of the absurd. (Because it's true!) ;)

If you take value judgments out of it, what exactly is the substance of your argument?

It's unfair that society favors one style of thinking over another?

If that's not your argument, I really have no idea what is.
OK. Then stop trying. It's not that important to me that you understand.
P.S. typing people over the internet based on mutual misunderstanding is retarded.
You typed yourself INFJ when I was first here. I simply expressed agreement with that typing over INTP which now appears to have become ENTP. You don't seem sure yourself. Sometimes people appreciate a little outside input.
And I think spotting an INTP over the internet is not that much of a challenge for another INTP. Part of that is based on mutual understanding and shared ways of communicating ideas. Sorry, but it just is.
I wouldn't categorically say you're not NTP, but you've never seemed like one to me. No biggie. :shrug:
it takes a T function to lie. Because you have to know the truth to consciously say something different.
That's the first interesting thing you've said in this thread. Well done.

We are starting to refine a hypothesis. I think the motivation for lying comes from Fe. The execution is something else, perhaps?

Can the motivation come from a function other than Fe?

The arguments about what is truth for each function I regard as a bit of a dead end.

Your theory doesn't make a bit of sense, anyway, when we regard the fact that all people with Ti have Fe and all people with Te have Fi.
This is FACT? Interesting. I thought it was one theory among many.

Please go ahead and prove to me that I have Fe and not Fi. This should be interesting - giving your sessions with Sim. :popc1:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

.We are starting to refine a hypothesis. I think the motivation for lying comes from Fe. The execution is something else, perhaps?

Can the motivation come from a function other than Fe?

This, I would say, is one of the most common motivations for lying. It resembles, I can only think of examples from movies but, that of lying to an entire family due to 'pride', or not wanting others to worry about them. The other is an Fi kind of lie. This is lying to yourself. You would do so when you personally think that a value hasn't been violated (even though dramatic irony might say it was). Ti I think is a theatrical way of carrying out a lie.

It's early so I may refine this later.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Truth is like water!

A trunk is like truth!

A water trunk is like a trunk of truth. bwhahah wheeze, you didn't see that one coming did you. Oh ominous luminescence of truth.

Let me refresh the waters of truth.

If we look think of Te as trunk and Fe as Water. Take a chunk of a trunk and dunk that chunk in water. What's the sound of chunk slapping. Truth is like a sound vibration. A sound vibration that carries, when attuned to the frequency that matters is when body language interprets the intention behind the matters of opinion that mattered.

In other words matter folds according to mattress length.

Silly spirals tell tails of magnet resistance. When magnet resistance polarizes opinionated facts, facts truncate into lubricated fiction.

Exaggeration permutation beheld the eyes of family grace. their words tell lies within lies within lies of their truth like electric currents towards critical facts that mattered in accordance with their belief system. But their belief system fought like a behemoth for their truth, so inevitable that their inner behemoth forgot about their soul purpose. And then was the day their facts changed to fiction after they know not their ego, denied their Ti dation...damnation into eternal eminence.

No...Justice create fallacies...Law harbors mendacities...Logic harbors audacities...Rational harbours fantasies...Emotions harbous realities...and THAT...just...didn't make one lick of sense did it. sheepish grin!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

No...Justice create fallacies...Law harbors mendacities...Logic harbors audacities...Rational harbours fantasies...Emotions harbous realities...and THAT...just...didn't make one lick of sense did it. sheepish grin!

If you consider this to be the summation, then you are with those that believe opposites can at least exist within each other, yes?

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Ti is the "truth function"? Fe is the "lying function"?

And now Fi is a "lying function" too???

I can't believe anyone is taking this seriously! :rofl1:

Ridiculous. :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Time for some clarification/definitions. (sometimes I wrongly believe that such things are self-evident)

Lying = telling someone something you know to be untrue, with the intent to deceive.

If I tell you I’m wearing black panties while I type this, but they’re actually white, that’s a lie.
If I forget what colour they are but believe that they’re black (even though they might actually be white) then it’s not a lie.
Simples. (Stop thinking about my panties now)

Lying isn’t good, bad or indifferent – it’s simply untrue. I don’t know how hard that is for some people to get their heads around, but consider the actions of the Dutch ppl who kept Ann Frank and her family alive by lying to the SS. Most people would consider that to be the only moral choice. There is nothing intrinsically bad about lying.

It follows that there is also nothing intrinsically good about telling the truth. The fact that most of us don’t want to be deceived, makes us call lying “immoral”.

Allow me to now use this very thread as illustration of the oppositional nature of Ti/Fe.

Not being completely retarded, I had some inkling that the question might spark some controversy amongst certain F-types who might choose to interpret it as an attack. I'm using theory of mind to guess what reaction my actions are likely to produce. I hoped that I might also get an interesting debate going (but I didn't actually think it all that likely).

If I were to listen to Fe, I wouldn’t create the thread, and I would thus avoid any potential unpleasantness.

However, that would be in complete opposition to my instinct and my values, namely:

1. It’s a legitimate and interesting question to explore on a forum ostensibly about MBTI
  2. I want to understand how other people perceive/experience these functions and I can only do that by asking them questions
  3. It’s irrational for someone to over-identify with a concept such as function theory to the extent that they’d feel personally affronted by such a question
  4. It’s wrong to give in to irrational, whiny people, when they can choose to stay out of the thread or to engage reasonably
  5. It’s actually insulting to Fe users to assume that they can’t decide for themselves to do either of the above two things
These are Ti (and to a certain extent, Fi) judgments, I would say

None of that is conscious, but that’s what’s going on when I make the decision. Note how superior my Ti/Fi reasoning process is to the “gut feel/uncertainty” of my Fe-like one (not ALL Fe ones, just MINE, K?).
Of course it is, and so of course I should listen to it. I don’t really have a choice. To choose otherwise would mean being untrue to myself.

That's how Fe suppresses Ti internally - if one allows it to. The reaction of some of the posters is how Fe suppresses Ti externally (Fe is our internal representation of external judgments).
(Someone, fidelia? used the word "suppress", protean used the word "tempers" - the effect is the same - a dampening down)

It would be interesting (to me) to see the thought process of a Fe-dom user when making a similar decision.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would it follow that Fi truth consists of logically consistent values and Fe truth of empirically observed and proven ones?
Not really. The difference between F and T is defined as the difference between logic and ethics, so it's more like: Fi truth consists of personal values (as opposed to personal logic), and Fe truth consists of societally held values (as opposed to externally held logic, or empiricism). Empirical truth falls strictly within the realm of logical analysis.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The one thing I just realized about Ti logic is that it is the details that makes it subjective. So if the details change, while the logic may remain true you just turned it into Te as the detail changes what I can handle on a personal level, but Ti will always remain true to its logic else it becomes hypocritical.

The same thing can be flipped around for Fi and Fe.