User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 207

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    I would like to explore that more, yes. That sounds right to me
    Also, when I saw the OP, my first thought was that Ti and Fi both in their own way seek to find Truths, as well as not seeing how Te and Fe consequently would consist of lying..just that they don't particularly focus on the Truth, rather than Getting the Job Done.
    That sounds about right to me.

    So Ti truth would be about feeling consistancy. Which seems to match up even with what I see in an Fe dom(not as default, but the value/truth portion is still very present).
    Im out, its been fun

  2. #102
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    No, it would prove that the theory existed because you used the functions in the theory to lie.


    The theory exists, but that doesn't prove that the theory exists.

    A person lying only proves itself, observably.

    If lying proves functional theory, then we would have had functional theory the first time someone ever told a lie.

  3. #103
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Using functions to lie would mean that you are lying about functional theory.
    This is what I was going off of when making my statement. How can you use something if it doesn't exist? Just because someone thought of something doesn't mean it didn't already exist. So, technically this theory has always existed, but the idea itself had never been manifested through words.

  4. #104
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    This is what I was going off of when making my statement. How can you use something if it doesn't exist? Just because someone thought of something doesn't mean it didn't already exist. So, technically this theory has always existed, but the idea itself had never been manifested through words.
    I'm confused.

  5. #105
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    A lie is a deliberate untruth. As you say, a lie itself is not necessarily immoral. A lie can contribute to what constitutes the greater good, thus the act of lying itself is not morally illogical either. A lie just is.



    It's the intent of the lie, the reason for the lie, that makes lying a potentially immoral act.

    But, since the word lying itself has a negative connotation, now the emotional tone of the thread is indeed caught up in that provocative dynamic, making people feel angry and confrontational.

    Perhaps saying that if Ti is truth, Fe untruth would have been a better oppositional pair to argue from, less charged with emotion? Get you more of the result you are looking for? Even as I type that though, I don't like how it looks either.
    Yup. It's interesting, eh? I don't really set out with a result in mind...I just see where it leads.
    I would say that each function has its own truth and blind-spot, which is why in reality none of them are expressed in isolation of each other, and why we weigh pros and cons based on our own cognitive vantage points.

    I don't think it's possible to look at a pure distillation of each function IRL since they are blended together so homogeneously.
    Analysis requires that we identify what a function is and is not, what it does or does not do. Otherwise why have a theory of functions/types at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I'm confused.
    Then stop being deliberately obtuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  6. #106
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    You had said that using functions to lie would mean that the function theory was a lie. This doesn't make sense, because in order to use them they'd have to exist.

  7. #107
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    You had said that using functions to lie would mean that the function theory was a lie. This doesn't make sense, because in order to use them they'd have to exist.
    NO! That's not what I said. Lying about functional theory =/= Functional theory is a lie. You could lie about Lake Loch Ness, but that doesn't mean that Lake Loch Ness is either a lie or untrue.

  8. #108
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    NO! That's not what I said. Lying about functional theory =/= Functional theory is a lie. You could lie about Lake Loch Ness, but that doesn't mean that Lake Loch Ness is either a lie or untrue.
    It is, because I quoted it a post earlier, with no altercations other than eliminating the sentence before it.

    This is true, but has no bearing on the point we were just making.You are right as well because we don't know whether it exists or not, therefore it cannot be a lie, or a truth.

    P.S. Actually it would if it doesn't exist and you were saying it did.

    P.S.S. I see the miscommunication. You used the word 'about'. You were just repeating yourself from earlier instead of making a new point.

  9. #109
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Lake Loch Ness is either a lie or untrue.
    LOL

    Loch=Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #110
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    I've gotta go to work now. Try not to take this point too seriously. I'm just thinking here.

Similar Threads

  1. The Varieties of Truth
    By Nicodemus in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 07:24 AM
  2. Replies: 373
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 06:05 PM
  3. [Enne] Which type is the opposite of the Type 5?
    By The Unknown Essence in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM
  4. The opposite of a grudge
    By Cimarron in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
  5. The Opposite of Meditation.
    By ReflecTcelfeR in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO