User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Cringing

garbage

Default Cringing

Someone tells you of some sort of physical injury that happened to them--they just had surgery, they almost accidentally pried their thumbnail off with a screwdriver, etc.

What's your initial reaction?

Do you cringe physically, do you feel some pain yourself, do you wonder why the injury occurred, do you wonder what the context of the injury is... ?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

My imagination 'puts me in the situation,' I experience it vicariously, meaning I imagine the situation followed by the pain, and cringe IRL at my mental imagery. Weird, huh?

And yet I cannot stop this from happening because it is an involuntary mental reaction. And if I imagine everything powerfully and vividly enough, I can even tear (i.e. not cry, but have water welling up).

It's the same principle as tearing when watching certain movie scenes. Except my imagination is much more vivid and quite powerful, eliciting a stronger reaction than the initial story or movie warrants. It often embarrasses me afterwards.

Phantonym

I do cringe physically. It's not pain per se, but a very strong sensation of having goosebumps or waves of coldness and hotness wrapping me inside of them and going through my body simultaneously. Completely involuntary, happens in an instant. And I get queasy just by thinking about the whole thing, it's like the images of events leading to the injury, during it and after it go through my mind within a second. It's not so much seeing vivid and detailed images in my mind, it's more like having a very intense feeling of being the person getting injured.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I cringe.

garbage

Maybe everybody cringes. I do, too.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... I also think of what it must be like to have my thumbnail pried up or whatever and it's rather shudderworthy... of course, were I there, I'd cringe and then start questioning how on earth they'd done it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I can get all queasy and light headed even..mit depends on what it is but yeah it's way embarrassing. I hate it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Someone tells you of some sort of physical injury that happened to them--they just had surgery, they almost accidentally pried their thumbnail off with a screwdriver, etc.

What's your initial reaction?

Do you cringe physically, do you feel some pain yourself, do you wonder why the injury occurred, do you wonder what the context of the injury is... ?
    Honestly, I have always been totally immune to gore.

It's a damn shame I have no attention span whatsoever, because I would have been a hell of a trauma surgeon.

My reaction to such incidents is "Nooo way! AWESOME!"
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

figsfiggyfigs

I almost fainted reading that. thanks.

I have a HUGE phobia of anything "finger nail" related... oh god..I'm feeling queasy now.

anything else is free game. I rarely get grossed out otherwise..

OH , one scene comes to mind. The huge pus-filled snake bite in the movie Snakes on a plane.
    Some fuck started fake gagging in the middle of that scene( in theaters) and then I automatically started gagging as well

MBTI
    ENFP

I usually feel some pain/numbness myself...

I remember when I was really little... My parents were having a rather graphic conversation about an elderly relative having to have their leg off.... When I got out of the car they were both laughing hysterically cos I had to practically drag my leg along as it had gone all numb and was all pins and needles! Horrible!
    ... couldn't drag me away

eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??