User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Male or female?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Male or female?

Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

That question coming from an INTJ = female.
    That question coming from an INFP = male.

Although I don't usually tend to presume. I go off their profile if they have it listed, their welcome thread if they noted it, or what other people are referring to them as, if none of those points help I remain vague.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Plus what people talk about. I would assume a guy would be less likely to talk about 'drama', for example...that's a terrible example...but I just get 'vibes'.

To me, you seem female, possibly because women are more likely to bring up gender in a discussion...but it could also be just a 'vibe', and I could also be entirely wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I tend not to think of gender most of the time when reading other people's posts, unless it directly relates to the topic. I actually only thought of it in relation to myself when I scanned my visitor messages and saw the unanswered question. That got me wondering what people would assume based upon my (or anyone's) writing, with no other information, and on what they would base their assumptions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i guess i usually just leave it open until i've heard them say something that indicates one over the other but i've been wrong a few times when i attempted to guess.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Honestly, I don't know your gender. You come across as pretty androgynous to me.

I've made the mistake in the past of guessing someone's gender based on their choice of username and avatars. And I've been wrong a few times doing that. For example, I was surprised to find Mr. Cockburn was actually a female.

I know multiple times, people have wrongly guessed I was a male. Maybe it is my choice of username/avatar, my posting style. Most likely, its just because I'm a female T.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.
    Honest guess would be male but since you're asking, probably female.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?
    It's both content and style that cause me to gender ass-ume.

Profession or major don't matter at all. This is the Internetz where what people say, they don't do.

Most often, my guesses are correct. But I've also been incorrect more than enough times.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There are a couple comments to the effect that women are more likely to ask questions about gender. Why? Is gender just of more interest to women usually? Is there a difference between online and RL?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Online unless someone has an overtly "feminine" presence ie girly name, avatar or way of expressing themselves the assumption is often made that they are male. As the old saying goes "there are no women online".

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Usually by tone and context.

However, I've been wrong before.
    (e.g., thinking MacGuffin was a guy.)

There's enough people in the gender overlap area that they simply fit better with the generalized form of the other gender.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft