• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Male or female?

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Tried cutting and pasting your recent post history into here.
Words: 1421
(NOTE: The genie works best on texts of more than 500 words.)

Female Score: 2085
Male Score: 1796
The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: female!
The accuracy on it is about 70%; better than a coin flip, but far from infallible.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Going through some of my posts:

Words: 3543

Female Score: 5474
Male Score: 4895

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I had to take more than 15 posts to get to 800 words. Perhaps I haven't been so verbose lately. Anyways,

Female Score: 782
Male Score: 1179

nice test.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I usuallly go by a combination of the avatar and from facts stated directly by the poster. Other than that, I tend to just throw most people into a "neutral gender" and put the matter completely out of mind. For the topic creator, it's obvious though, since she mentioned her gender in another thread. Anyway, on to the test:

Words: 1485

Female Score: 1808
Male Score: 2644

The Gender Genie thinks the author of this passage is: male!

It will be interesting to see which types score for which. I had assumed that Thinkers would automatically score as possessing a masculine writing type, but so far we've had two INTPs with a higher feminine score than a masculine one. Perhaps the types with the most direct communication style are being scored as masculine. In that case, I would imagine that any type with Te as the first or secondary function is going to obtain a high "Male Score".

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got
Words: 925
Female Score: 1345
Male Score: 2273

Interesting and saved.

Edit: As for you haha I properly just read this thread and realise I just took the test without giving an opinion on your state. My leanings go to 2/3 you being female.

Last edited:

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
It will be interesting to see which types score for which. I had assumed that Thinkers would automatically score as possessing a masculine writing type, but so far we've had two INTPs with a higher feminine score than a masculine one. Perhaps the types with the most direct communication style are being scored as masculine. In that case, I would imagine that any type with Te as the first or secondary function is going to obtain a high "Male Score".
I'd have thought that, too. I ran a couple of my posts through Gender Genie, one I guessed would come back as female and one I figured would register as male, but they came back the same. GG is a cool idea, to be sure, but I'm not sure how much faith I put in it. Does using the word "and" really make me feminine, and "the" manly? Seriously? Do women not use articles as often as men?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I checked out Gender Genie. I agree - it's hard to see how it draws any meaningful conclusions based upon the specific words counted. (I wonder if it is somehow measuring T/F difference. The 70% accuracy would be consistent with this.) In any case, I tried several writing samples:

F 377, M 685 based on a report for work (690 words)
F 943, M 1385 based on a journal paper (955 words)
F 652, M 725 based on a long forum post (625 words)
F 2560, M 3588 based on a series of personal emails (2188 words)
F 1126, M 934 based on a short story excerpt (792 words)

Looks like GG thinks I'm male, unless I'm writing fiction! As for human opinions:

--Johnnyboy thinks I'm female because I created this thread.
--Fduniho thinks I'm male because of my curiosity over what people regard me as.
--(And Jock: I am over 30.)
--MorganLeFay doesn't even think of me as a person, much less as a gender (thanks, I think)
--LunarMoon thinks I already mentioned my gender on another thread.
--and SavageBrain wouldn't believe me even if I did tell.

Maybe ambiguity is a good thing, especially since it doesn't really matter anyway . . . or does it?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually figured male, based on type and avatar. That is, until i read this thread, then I changed my assumption to female. You seem to think that your gender is abnormal for your type, and since over 2/3 of INTJ are male, it's easy to conclude that you are female, which you have now confirmed.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually figured male, based on type and avatar. That is, until i read this thread, then I changed my assumption to female. You seem to think that your gender is abnormal for your type, and since over 2/3 of INTJ are male, it's easy to conclude that you are female, which you have now confirmed.
Actually, I haven't confirmed anything, and I'm not sure which of my comments has led you to think my gender is abnormal for my type. Yes, INTJs are 2/3 male, but 1/3 is a significant minority, and I would think most people on this forum would hesitate to assume anything from that alone. I am simply curious as to what people base gender assumptions on online, where we don't have the usual visual cues: username? avatar? type? writing style? writing content? preferred threads/topics?

LucrativeSid

Female, only because a woman would be more likely to create a thread of this nature IMO.

Why would you think so? Would men be less interested in how gender comes across (or doesn't) in writing, applied to themselves or more generally? Several people have made this suggestion, which I find curious. I know far more men than women who would be disturbed at being mistaken for the opposite gender.

And would those men start a thread about it and let it get 50 posts long without even revealing their gender? Or would they just clear things up?

I'm guessing you're a female, based on the starting of this thread and the way you've responded within it.

I did read this post:

What reason?

I did consider that just asking these questions might bias the results, but it seemed the most straightforward way to start the topic. I am more interested in general about how our writing reflects gender, assuming we are being ourselves and not making any deliberate attempt to appear one way or the other. People can use my writing as an example, or other people's, or just comment more generally.

I believe what you're saying, but I'm guessing that having your gender mistaken in the past is what sparked this interest. Anyhow, it's impossible to tell if you're worried about it and trying to seem impartial about personal impact it's had on you, or if confident in yourself and just genuinely curious about it. I could make up 5 theories to support a guess for either gender because there's too much I don't know.

It's hard to imagine myself starting a thread like this because I've never been ambiguous. Perhaps the only reason I'm not mistaken for a female is that everybody has heard my voice, seen my pictures, looked at my profile, and seen my username. I couldn't stand being ambiguous. Not because I'd worry about being mistaken for a female, but because I'd feel like an impostor. I'm not just a brain writing on a computer. I'm a person. You get the whole thing, warts penis and all.

I've heard people talk about how they don't want to be judged for the details, like their age or gender. "Why not just take my words for what they are?" They want people to be impartial about the details and to only consider their words, but I think those people are the least impartial about their own details because they think they are important enough to omit for some reason.

Are you ambiguous on purpose was it just a coincidence?

If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have guessed. I like to know a posters gender, but it's okay if I don't. If I like what they say, I like what they say, regardless of whether they're a man, woman, robot, or extra terrestrial. My life goes on.

If I'm interested in a person and I talk to them enough on here, I''ll probably ask them if I'm not sure, otherwise, it doesn't matter that much.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I haven't confirmed anything,
As far as that goes, I guess I misread/misinterpreted.

and I'm not sure which of my comments has led you to think my gender is abnormal for my type. Yes, INTJs are 2/3 male, but 1/3 is a significant minority, and I would think most people on this forum would hesitate to assume anything from that alone.
1/3 may be statistically significant, but not enough so to change any assumptions without other information. Not for me, anyway. I really don't care if that's different from how others think.

I am simply curious as to what people base gender assumptions on online, where we don't have the usual visual cues: username? avatar? type? writing style? writing content? preferred threads/topics?
As I said, in your case, I figured male based on avatar and type. Usually that works pretty well. If a system works most of the time, why shouldn't it be used?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your comments are quite interesting. You have a system that you find works pretty well, and you have explained it. This is the kind of thing I was trying to learn about. Initially I was focused on writing style, but then others mentioned using avatar and username. I guess I had discounted them because too many are either ambiguous or misleading, but it stands to reason that people will take them into account.

To answer your question: I am not ambiguous on purpose. Also, this thread is not intended to be about people being mistaken for the wrong gender, but rather about how gender is determined or guessed. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, someone asked me by VM whether I was male or female, and I realized that my posts up to that point really didn't reveal anything about my gender. This was entirely coincidental, as on other forums, I have made no secret of my gender, nor tried to misrepresent it. The VM question made me wonder, though, just how people form impressions of gender online in the absence of obvious cues, so I decided to do an experiment and start this thread. Some people prefer working with an example rather than generalities, so I let myself be the example. I really don't mind people knowing my gender, but also I am not bothered if I am mistaken for the wrong gender, especially online. I correct it if it is relevant to the thread or otherwise important. So, I guess you could say I am confident about myself, and just genuinely curious.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?

Rule number 30: There are no women on the internet, they are always men trying to trick you*.
*Either they are creeping, or they are just teenagers trying to be funny.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By your definition, then, I absolutely have to be male. At least that simplifies things.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So anyone who inquires about gender is automatically female? (Now) we have a contradiction. The truth is rarely as two-dimensional as either rule-of-thumb suggests.

Schaph

MBTI Type
IxTx
Enneagram
5w6
So anyone who inquires about gender is automatically female? (Now) we have a contradiction. The truth is rarely as two-dimensional as either rule-of-thumb suggests.

You're an eunuch.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess that's one way to think outside the box. I was going to dismiss eunuch, hermaphrodite, in process of transgender, etc. etc. but tried to keep my initial remarks to a minimum. I'm more interested in people's reasoning, in any case. Many of my questions are now being addressed in the "type or gender" thread elsewhere.