User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Male or female?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Female, only because a woman would be more likely to create a thread of this nature IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why would you think so? Would men be less interested in how gender comes across (or doesn't) in writing, applied to themselves or more generally? Several people have made this suggestion, which I find curious. I know far more men than women who would be disturbed at being mistaken for the opposite gender.
    And would those men start a thread about it and let it get 50 posts long without even revealing their gender? Or would they just clear things up?

I'm guessing you're a female, based on the starting of this thread and the way you've responded within it.

I did read this post:

What reason?

I did consider that just asking these questions might bias the results, but it seemed the most straightforward way to start the topic. I am more interested in general about how our writing reflects gender, assuming we are being ourselves and not making any deliberate attempt to appear one way or the other. People can use my writing as an example, or other people's, or just comment more generally.
    I believe what you're saying, but I'm guessing that having your gender mistaken in the past is what sparked this interest. Anyhow, it's impossible to tell if you're worried about it and trying to seem impartial about personal impact it's had on you, or if confident in yourself and just genuinely curious about it. I could make up 5 theories to support a guess for either gender because there's too much I don't know.

It's hard to imagine myself starting a thread like this because I've never been ambiguous. Perhaps the only reason I'm not mistaken for a female is that everybody has heard my voice, seen my pictures, looked at my profile, and seen my username. I couldn't stand being ambiguous. Not because I'd worry about being mistaken for a female, but because I'd feel like an impostor. I'm not just a brain writing on a computer. I'm a person. You get the whole thing, warts penis and all.

I've heard people talk about how they don't want to be judged for the details, like their age or gender. "Why not just take my words for what they are?" They want people to be impartial about the details and to only consider their words, but I think those people are the least impartial about their own details because they think they are important enough to omit for some reason.

Are you ambiguous on purpose was it just a coincidence?

If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have guessed. I like to know a posters gender, but it's okay if I don't. If I like what they say, I like what they say, regardless of whether they're a man, woman, robot, or extra terrestrial. My life goes on.

If I'm interested in a person and I talk to them enough on here, I''ll probably ask them if I'm not sure, otherwise, it doesn't matter that much.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Actually, I haven't confirmed anything,
    As far as that goes, I guess I misread/misinterpreted.

and I'm not sure which of my comments has led you to think my gender is abnormal for my type. Yes, INTJs are 2/3 male, but 1/3 is a significant minority, and I would think most people on this forum would hesitate to assume anything from that alone.
    1/3 may be statistically significant, but not enough so to change any assumptions without other information. Not for me, anyway. I really don't care if that's different from how others think.

I am simply curious as to what people base gender assumptions on online, where we don't have the usual visual cues: username? avatar? type? writing style? writing content? preferred threads/topics?
    As I said, in your case, I figured male based on avatar and type. Usually that works pretty well. If a system works most of the time, why shouldn't it be used?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Your comments are quite interesting. You have a system that you find works pretty well, and you have explained it. This is the kind of thing I was trying to learn about. Initially I was focused on writing style, but then others mentioned using avatar and username. I guess I had discounted them because too many are either ambiguous or misleading, but it stands to reason that people will take them into account.

To answer your question: I am not ambiguous on purpose. Also, this thread is not intended to be about people being mistaken for the wrong gender, but rather about how gender is determined or guessed. As I mentioned at the start of the thread, someone asked me by VM whether I was male or female, and I realized that my posts up to that point really didn't reveal anything about my gender. This was entirely coincidental, as on other forums, I have made no secret of my gender, nor tried to misrepresent it. The VM question made me wonder, though, just how people form impressions of gender online in the absence of obvious cues, so I decided to do an experiment and start this thread. Some people prefer working with an example rather than generalities, so I let myself be the example. I really don't mind people knowing my gender, but also I am not bothered if I am mistaken for the wrong gender, especially online. I correct it if it is relevant to the thread or otherwise important. So, I guess you could say I am confident about myself, and just genuinely curious.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    N/A

Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.

More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?
    Rule number 30: There are no women on the internet, they are always men trying to trick you*.
    *Either they are creeping, or they are just teenagers trying to be funny.
    "What's the worst that could happen?"
    "Would you like that list chronologically or alphabetically?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

By your definition, then, I absolutely have to be male. At least that simplifies things.

female
    just because you are asking

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

So anyone who inquires about gender is automatically female? (Now) we have a contradiction. The truth is rarely as two-dimensional as either rule-of-thumb suggests.

MBTI
    IxTx
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    LSE

So anyone who inquires about gender is automatically female? (Now) we have a contradiction. The truth is rarely as two-dimensional as either rule-of-thumb suggests.
    You're an eunuch.
    online test: 6ISTP/5INTP/5INTJ/3ISTJ/1ISFP/1ENFJ
    people's suggestion: 1ISFP
    ......../ Bunny says,......\
    ........\Ask me anything./
    ............)/
    ./\_/\..../
    (O .O)
    [^_u )

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I guess that's one way to think outside the box. I was going to dismiss eunuch, hermaphrodite, in process of transgender, etc. etc. but tried to keep my initial remarks to a minimum. I'm more interested in people's reasoning, in any case. Many of my questions are now being addressed in the "type or gender" thread elsewhere.

Female. I am too lazy for a suitable explanation.