Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Slandered? Being called female is an insult?

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Slandered? Being called female is an insult?
    If you're not one, you might take it that way, just as a female might be insulted to be called a male.

Glycerine

I just thought you were male but didn't think much about it. Your arguing style and your writing style but after the last comment, female. I have been called a male MANY times.

Come on Coriolis, spill. It's now been 20 days of curiosity.

I also get mistaken for male more than enough times due to posting style.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

To be honest Coriolis, you could be either male of female, regardless of what I or other think. A person's stlye of writing, their tone, thier avatar, everything about them cannot accurately identify their immediate gender. For all members within an internet forum share a certain amount of anonyomy; there's no telling if an obviously female member, who considers themsleves a female, is actually a real female of a male who simply possess as a female. Most people though don't typically do this anymore, as the social norm of the internet these days is to be more open with one's personal identity. But even so there still some may lie about there true gender and I can never be 100% sure who someone says there are. So even if you were to reveal to me that you're male or female, I can still never really be sure, at best i could take your wood for granted.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain
    I can still never really be sure, at best i could take your wood for granted.
    Taking wood for granted is a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Do most people, then (or at least forum members) not care much whether someone posting is male or female, unless it is directly relevant to the topic? I have to admit, I don't think about it that often myself. I try to see people first and foremost as human beings, with any other distinctions being secondary, even IRL. Obviously this is easier on a forum where we just see each other's typed words, plus an occasional avatar.
    Most people care quite a lot it seems.
    I don't even think of you as a person, let alone a gendered one. Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I wondered myself if there was any kind of 'male' association with the ISTJ type. I didn't think my avatar was particularly masculine, and my name seemed rather neutral... Yet when I first joined it seemed everyone thought I was male.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I posted in another thread that if I don't know someone's gender, my mind seems to go by name and avatar first, and type if those don't give me a clear picture. I think that 'everyone's male on the internet' rule only applies of you have no clues, and more often than not you do. I see male posters mention being mistaken for female on here as often as female ones being mistaken for male.

And yeah, if I have no other clues, I assume T posters are male and F posters are female until shown otherwise. In the general population it's true more often than not.

I don't really care if someone gets my gender wrong. If you're really curious I'll tell ya; it's no secret. But if it's not relevant to the discussion, it doesn't matter to me.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Morgan Le Fay
    Taking wood for granted is a big mistake.
    I really need to proof read my posts before submitting them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    More to the point, in the absence of obvious clues or self-identification, what causes you to think a member is male or female, just from their writing? Is content or style more telling? To what degree are you influenced by type or profession/major, if stated? Are your guesses usually correct?
    I assume avatars and names count as obvious clues. For example, I think Jennifer is a woman, because Jennifer is a woman's name and her avatar is of a woman. Without these clues, I go with content more than style. For example, I once read a post from someone talking about the man he was in love with, and I assumed he was a woman until I learned otherwise. I'm not sure how influenced I am by type. I'm usually on INTPCentral, where almost everyone's type is listed as INTP anyway, and in that context it doesn't come up.

When someone offers no clues and keeps their gender out of their profile, as you have done, I'm more inclined to think female. It's like when women in the phone book use only their first initial, while men normally let the phone book print their whole names. Even on the internet, women are more likely to be sexually harassed than men, giving them more of a reason to hide their gender than men have. But when a man hides his gender, I imagine it is more out of curiosity to see what it is like to be taken as a woman or to see what people regard him as. Given your curiosity over what people regard you as, I'll say you're probably a male.