User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Male or female?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Female, only because a woman would be more likely to create a thread of this nature IMO.
    Why would you think so? Would men be less interested in how gender comes across (or doesn't) in writing, applied to themselves or more generally? Several people have made this suggestion, which I find curious. I know far more men than women who would be disturbed at being mistaken for the opposite gender.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Online unless someone has an overtly "feminine" presence ie girly name, avatar or way of expressing themselves the assumption is often made that they are male. As the old saying goes "there are no women online".
    That's pretty much how it goes (especially when it concerns gaming), unless you happen to be browsing on a female-dominated forum or what not. Then the 'default' gender would immediately be changed to female.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why would you think so? Would men be less interested in how gender comes across (or doesn't) in writing, applied to themselves or more generally? Several people have made this suggestion, which I find curious. I know far more men than women who would be disturbed at being mistaken for the opposite gender.
    Sure, but on the internet or in person? Remember, this is the internet, where most everyone is male until proven otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They might be particularly put out online, precisely because the default assumption seems to be male. It would take much more, then, to override it. (Unless, of course, they are deliberately posing as female for some reason.)

Glycerine

For some reason, I thought you were most likely a guy.....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What reason?

I did consider that just asking these questions might bias the results, but it seemed the most straightforward way to start the topic. I am more interested in general about how our writing reflects gender, assuming we are being ourselves and not making any deliberate attempt to appear one way or the other. People can use my writing as an example, or other people's, or just comment more generally.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think you're a female, but I don't know your age. If you're 30+ then I change my answer to male.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I do a vanity search, and I found myself slandered again by Jennifer.
    Just like a woman, to take things so sensitively! Posh! Who do you think you are fooling???

Whether or not I think it's accurate (and I don't), I'm going to guess that to the average reader, flatter and/or more impersonal writing is going to sound more male, while more emotive and/or "fussier" writing will come off as more female.

Usually where the confusion happens is either when a person fits in the opposite gender's cliche... or comes across as ambiguous for mixing together elements of both cliches.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Another member asked me once, was I male or female. I realized I never did answer. Before doing so, I'd like to see what people think.
    Often the avatar or name makes it obvious what gender the person is (e.g. Lady X). Other than that I try to figure out the gender based on their posts. Often reading a few posts in the relationship forum makes it obvious what gender a person is.

In your case I don't know but I'm leaning female 55% certainty, male 45%. I think Coriolis sounds more like a female name (but the avatar is something I'd guess a male would have).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I do a vanity search, and I found myself slandered again by Jennifer.

Slandered? Being called female is an insult?