User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I also do one that's not mentioned, "oooh shiny", and it's by far the most common listening block for me. If something moves, anything - a bird, a piece of paper, a car, I'll have to look at it and lose my train of thought/listening ability. If I see something unusual or interesting, it'll steal all my focus and I'm now only half-listening. Sometimes things will make me think of other things - "dreaming". I'll often be listening to someone and my next phrase is "look at that!" rude, I know. But it's always something cool.
    haha, I totally do that when I'm out hiking or for a walk while chatting with someone. I might get excited and will point something out, and then go, 'I'm sorry... you were saying XYZ...'

I don't think this is really that uncommon, though.. I was just hiking with a friend last night and she did that to me, then we resumed the conversation we'd been having right afterwards.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Mostly comparing and dreaming, with occasional mind-reading (esp. comparing; I tend to focus a lot on what I envy in others and it definitely drives a wedge between myself and other people) . Sometimes I'll throw in some placating to cover up the fact that I'm comparing and dreaming the whole time.

Mind-reading is something I tend to do after the exchange, not so much during. I've gotten pretty good at turning it off when I'm talking with someone, but it can take over my thoughts afterward as I replay the exchange in my mind.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    haha, I totally do that when I'm out hiking or for a walk while chatting with someone. I might get excited and will point something out, and then go, 'I'm sorry... you were saying XYZ...'

I don't think this is really that uncommon, though.. I was just hiking with a friend last night and she did that to me, then we resumed the conversation we'd been having right afterwards.
    True, most people do it sometimes...but I'd wager not to the extent I do (well at least I get a lot of people annoyed at me for it) several (or many) times in any conversation >5 mins, usually. Or maybe I'm just bad at pretending I was listening.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I've been guilty of all of these. My most common ones seem to be filtering, dreaming, and sparring.

It really depends on who the other person is - I do rehearsing with strangers because I'm nervous and I will fall back on pre-planned things to say. I will also do placating with strangers to just be rid of them. With family, I get into sparring & being right.

I don't advise, judge or mind read much though. Comparing is somewhat unusual also. Identifying only occurs when the focus does not need to be on the other person - I'm usually good at not stealing the thunder & "one-upping" someone when something good/bad happens to them.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe