• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

TypoC, the Internet, and Opening Yourself Up

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
What do you think it is about TypoC that makes it a place for such personal yet public exchanges?
I'll join the chorus to say this is really not the place for really personal exchanges. Anything I write here I'd say in person - and then some.

As for why some use it as a confessional - unburdening yourself through sharing can be therapeutic. For others the forum seems to present a sort of scratching post (and some members make nifty punching bags).
What are your own rules with regard to personal privacy? And finally...
I don't have rules here. I just follow my nose.

Why are you here? And why do you stay?
The inevitable downtime that I need to spend near a computer for work.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
What is it about TypoC in particular that engenders such emotional and personal exposes?

A combination of factors. The anonymity of the internet, the trailblazing disclosures of others, fairly close friendships (by internet standards), and the nature of the forum. It's loosely a psychological forum to better help us understand why we are the way we are, and why others are the way they are. Exploring that often involves emotional and personal exposes.

What are your own rules with regard to personal privacy?

If I have rules I haven't identified them yet. I've shared things most people would keep to themselves (even typoc people), and not shared things most people would feel fine sharing.

I came for the typology and stayed for the people.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Im pretty open & share a lot here (but not my deepest darkest secrets of coarse). Sometimes I feel more safe sharing my random thoughts & feelings here than with people I know outside of this site, its kinda anonymous and whoever cares to answer can, if not they can ignore it. My friends & loved ones arent always left in the dark, but its nice to get an unbiased opinion and different perspectives, I also dont always like to burden them with my issues.

A few reasons why I came and why Im still here:

To hear other peoples points of views.
To be a part of a community & relate to other other people with similar interests.
To get advice and to help others.
There are lots of cool peeps here too :wubbie:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What is it about TypoC in particular that engenders such emotional and personal exposes?
Modus operandi is like a translatable expression of the opus. What you get is a reflection of the personable natures that extrapolate expression of perchance. Unlike reality, the ideology expressed within this arena of virtual attitudes is like an exquisite sampling of the soul urge to form spiral energies of spirit amongst fascinating personable energies. Of which you are gobsmacked with titillating treasures of insight, calamity and endeavor.

As such the expression born of the intuitive and sensory faculties alike, the psyche musters a process of creativity towards intentional interpretation of perspective. In doing so, like a sounding board, recreates the vista of eternal thoughts and feelings that linger in the inner recesses of the minds eye and walks on a journey, a journey that walks along a curve of lively optimism of what may come, of what may be and of what is a lively dance of sensation.

And in doing so the effects of vibrational connectivity create a pool of remarkable translation that joins a more profound harmonic resonance that does indeed cascade unlike anywhere else, for that matter wherever else could you find the diversity and complexity and vulnerability of the psyche, explored at its most astonishing!

What do you think it is about TypoC that makes it a place for such personal yet public exchanges?
Then there was atmos and gravitron, and from atoms atmosphere emigrated along the corridors of endless expressions unlike most kind. With such expression the words appeared to reflect an exchange of familiarity with those energies that played along waves of energies that flowed like icing on the cake. It was the sweetest kind of energy, that there was.

Then gravitron pulled a gravitation shift along the orbit of time and the orbit of time fathomed this was the time to express inner energies that manifest as outer reality amongst those that felt it was a natural extension of their emotional guidance system. To take on board those feelings and thoughts and bounce, rather integrate themselves into presences of fine attunement towards befitting merriment of occasional mischief.

Speak your truth and your truth shall set you free.
Meaning until recently my truth was a blanket draped in fine acrylic heavy blankets that it would appears few were privy to. And to the surface structure that was the inner patterns that weave surprisingly dense. Self disclosure apparently is a highly skilled art in the INFP way. The sway is such that with personable accounts somehow self disclosure continues to be a bark up a raft full of reeds blocked by canopy of foliage. In other words any words spoken of, are a barometer of that self disclosure effect. Which means however comfortable thy self modality happens to be in the art of expressive liberation, then that is covered by the depravity of words and the depravity of words is covered by defensive manuscripts of astonished length that sends feelings of certain emotions across the spectrum of thoughts that stipulate the clause of self disclosure. so what you get is what you see and what you don't see is what you don't get. pretty simple stuff, grins. :yes:

Attitude baby! Interest and Personality is like a finely lit commodity in the community. And like any great community develops modalities of social presence then so it is that the social presence of the signatures, affable natures, playful yet noble spirits that roam the waters of a comfortable river bank. The goodness that proliferates here is, like attracts like and so it is. Like attracts like mindedness, and like mindedness creates personality matrices and personality matrices creates doors towards enlightenment of course. :newwink:

Lots of luff. :wubbie:

Well not in so many words but amusement, entertainment and enjoyment come to mind.

G

garbage

In many of the subforums, we talk about psychology and relationships and all, so I suppose it's natural for our personal experiences and emotions to bubble to the surface.

The more 'theoretical' subforums don't seem to exhibit those traits, though.

I post a lot of things that could probably identify me if anyone actually cared to do so. Welp :shrug:

I default toward sharing something if it'll help someone else out, but I don't typically share frivolous or irrelevant details. I do that in my daily life as well.

I'm probably more prone to take advantage of the 'unlimited' airspace that forums provide.

Interesting discussions and a chance to talk about psychology and relationships, and a great environment for discussing those sorts of topics.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I haven't actually noticed that this forum "in particular" prompts an unusual amount of self-disclosure. Internet forums in general can feel safe because of the anonymity, and when the same members hang around and interact for years a sense of familiarity and intimacy can develop and people tend to share personal stuff. But this forum isn't unusual in that way. I've been on some forums that had more personal discussion and some that had less. :shrug:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It's a place to understand behavior. I think those type of exchanges will naturally follow.

There are some things I've wanted to say on here...actually questions but I refrain because I feel my questions are too personal--revealing too much about myself. I am not like this IRL at all; I tend to be quite formal with people and guard my privacy quite fiercely...even with family members. Here it's not so bad to be so forward or revealing--you don't really know who I am.

Driven by curiosity about myself, other people, the intersection of our interactions. I'm driven to dive into deeper layers of understanding. I want to understand the steps, the moves, the music, and how it all fits together. Some of it is used as a tool to bridge the gaps when interacting with other types. It can be a rough tool but I've found it helpful.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I'm not sure it's really that personal, SB. People talk about personal things, but I don't think it's the real, REAL personal stuff. A lot of what they talk about is propaganda. Self-promotional material. I'm a cynical mood.

No different from regular life: I ask whatever I want, and reveal next to nothing about myself. :yes:

I'm here because INTPcentral got too serious and I felt more comfy here. I stay because I like getting rep, intellectual stimulation, and the occasional romantic connection.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Romantic connection here? Somehow I can't imagine getting together with anyone on here even if I like them. Can't pinpoint why exactly, but it would seem weird.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose there are plenty of things I've said here, that I would not say in real life. I operate quite passively in real life. I don't have a very general morality, but rather a very personalized morality. And it requires passivity in order to function around others, as I do not want to spend my time constantly clashing with others, which would be a waste of time, I try my best to be myself as subtle as possible.

The internet is pretty much my playground in that I use it to test and sample my thoughts and the thoughts of others in order to strengthen myself, without risk of losing face or making mistakes in real life.

At least that is what I would like to say. But truthfully, how I am in real life as opposed to how I am on the internet isn't that conscious. It's just that this seems to be the result, it just happens. The fact I can quit the internet with a single button press, where lasting real life relations can not stay ignored. Allows me to externalize myself on the internet, where I can not do the same in real life. That which causes me caution in real life, is not an issue on the internet.

Still, both the me on the internet and the me in real life, are quite the same. The only difference is the extent in which I exude myself.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a lot more open on forums like this than I am in real life. I guess there's multiple reasons for this:

I'm an introvert and sometimes in real life its hard to get a word in edgewise and quickly think on my feet in conversations. On the Internet, I can think about what I want to say before I say it.

If things get too heated on Internet forums, its far easier to back away for awhile then it would in real life. On the forums, I can just ignore certain topics or people for awhile. In real life, that's not always possible.

In real life I fear things like rejection, humiliaiton, and having to deal with someone's emotional displays. Online, these fears are subdued. I think its partly because I don't know any of you personally, so I'm less likely to get hurt by you. So in an odd sort of way, my guard is somewhat down and I feel more free to say stuff I wouldn't necessarily say out in the real world. Still I try not to be too offensive or controversial. I'm not one of those heartless T's. :)

On forums, I'm communicating with multiple people at a time and with a large forum like this, I usually manage to find someone who relates to and is interested in what I have to say. In real life, I'm usually just talking to one person at a time or a few people, and odds are much greater that there will be no interest.

The anonymity helps in some ways. Some of the stuff I say on Internet forums could work against me in real life. Here, I can admit certain vulnerabilities about myself, but if I revealed those at work, someone could think I'm not fit to do my job.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

This place is like group therapy, debate, and entertainment all in one. Livejournal is like that too (or it was, once upon a time) but Type C is better because it's a message board that moves in real time - it's not as slow moving correspondance as a journaling site, and many people can jump into the conversation at once. There's also Vent here, which adds to the experience, and just overall a sense of community among the sort of people who like to discuss fairly deep issues...as people have pointed out, people who are interested in personality theory are going to be people who are interested in exploring themselves and their relationships with other people, which is conducive to forming intimacies of a sort.

Again, I think it's that whole group therapy vibe.

I only give people my last name or other pertinent information privately, and even when I talk about family members or exes or friends publicly on the boards I don't actually give their names. I also try not to drag too much about my personal friendships with other members into the forum, especially if it's negative, although I tend to gauge by what the other person seems to be comfortable with.

I'm addicted to this place just as I was once addicted to livejournal. Entertainment, self-expression, free therapy, and a sense of community... I've made friends here, and I enjoy expressing myself in writing.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
The Internet sucks so bad I'm on it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

It is interesting you bring this up. Somehow a discussion board about typology has morphed into a grand central station of folks willing to talk, rant, post pictures, post research, post articles, blog, have personal threads about all kinds of topics. The exchanges above and the diverse dynamics of our members is why I love it here. Well, I'm also kind of doing some time for a felony jaywalking charge...I'm on work release...but different...I'm locked to Ivy's computer. :shock:

As far as privacy is concerned, my personal approach to vulnerability and exposing myself to anyone anywhere, not just the internet, is based on this rule:

If I tell anyone other than myself, then I can pretty much assume that everyone knows. That is to say, the best kept secret is the one you keep only to yourself. So if I am telling a story that I would not feel comfortable having everyone in the world know about, then I keep my mouth shut.

Your rule is a good one.

See answer to #1 above, and add a mature and understanding group of people that are able to empathize with others facing similar issues.

I'm an open book. I'm me here, and in IRL. Guaranteed.

I wound up here as part of self-discovery related to marriage counseling.

I stay because I have developed friendships with a great group of people whose company I enjoy in the virtual world. As an insanely busy person IRL, this site is a great complement to all else I have going on, and has added to my life, with regard to feelings of fulfillment due to being able to interact with others, and of course being a great place to goof off. :happy:

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Thanks to everyone who's posted. Thought I'd repost some things people have said that resonated with me personally.

This place is like group therapy, debate, and entertainment all in one. Livejournal is like that too (or it was, once upon a time) but Type C is better because it's a message board that moves in real time - it's not as slow moving correspondance as a journaling site, and many people can jump into the conversation at once. There's also Vent here, which adds to the experience, and just overall a sense of community among the sort of people who like to discuss fairly deep issues...as people have pointed out, people who are interested in personality theory are going to be people who are interested in exploring themselves and their relationships with other people, which is conducive to forming intimacies of a sort.

Somehow a discussion board about typology has morphed into a grand central station of folks willing to talk, rant, post pictures, post research, post articles, blog, have personal threads about all kinds of topics. The exchanges above and the diverse dynamics of our members is why I love it here.

I'm an introvert and sometimes in real life its hard to get a word in edgewise and quickly think on my feet in conversations. On the Internet, I can think about what I want to say before I say it.

If things get too heated on Internet forums, its far easier to back away for awhile then it would in real life. On the forums, I can just ignore certain topics or people for awhile. In real life, that's not always possible.

On forums, I'm communicating with multiple people at a time and with a large forum like this, I usually manage to find someone who relates to and is interested in what I have to say. In real life, I'm usually just talking to one person at a time or a few people, and odds are much greater that there will be no interest.

The internet is pretty much my playground in that I use it to test and sample my thoughts and the thoughts of others in order to strengthen myself, without risk of losing face or making mistakes in real life.

Openness is a sign of low neuroticism. Emotional openness, intellectual openness and social openness are signs of psychological health.

It's interesting that we can reduce neuroticism in children simply by talking to them on the telephone. And the internet is the telephone connected to the computer. So just as the telephone is therapeutic, so is the internet.

Little did we know that by talking to one another we are being therapeutic. Look, look - I'm doing therapy right now. And should you be interested enough, intelligent enough or even kind enough to reply to this post, you will be doing therapy too. We will be doing therapy together.

We live in the therapeutic society. Individualism is now dead along with God and the author. And we have formed an electronic tribe in the global village and called it Typology Central.

You can choose not to share, but you can if you want and it's not considered all that strange. Usually you don't stick out as a sore thumb because there's always somebody here who can relate, who is willing to listen, who has some insight to offer. If you have a problem or you're troubled by some thoughts, there's help to be found, so this place is a somewhat safe environment for sharing and possibly healing.

typec would offer a certain level of acceptance that may not be availbale in the world and definitely a level of understanding... suddenley I can explain my reaction to a certain event and know that 1/16 (VERY ROUGHLY) of the population here will get it and the other will be able to understand where I'm coming from....