User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Childhood fears

I used to be afraid of pooping.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

heart on fire

Clowns, Bees/wasps, big dogs, Germs.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I was afraid strangers were going to come into the house and get me. I'd often make the rounds at night before bed to make sure all of the doors were locked. I'd also lock my bedroom door at night and put a brick in front of it. This started around junior high, I think. I don't really remember why or what prompted it. Too long ago! To this day, I still sometimes get 'paranoid' a bit when I'm in the apartment at night by myself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    When I was a child, I was very fearful that vampires were real and they hung out underneath my bed. I would make my bed (or get my Mom to help) so that the top sheet would be really taut around my feet, but I hated to do that because I felt also like I was suffocating. I felt the need to do that because I normally like sleeping with my feet hanging off my bed.

*sheepish grin*
    I was able to talk myself out of the vampire fear because I noticed that the women who got bit always went to sleep in those movies with their necks exposed, so I would just always make sure the covers went over my neck. If a vampire comes by, he uses supersensual vision to look inside your room, if he sees your neck bared and ready, he is coming in, if not, he goes on to the next house. That was my logic.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I was able to talk myself out of the vampire fear because I noticed that the women who got bit always went to sleep in those movies with their necks exposed, so I would just always make sure the covers went over my neck. If a vampire comes by, he uses supersensual vision to look inside your room, if he sees your neck bared and ready, he is coming in, if not, he goes on to the next house. That was my logic.
    Oh, that is so cute. Makes perfect sense to me!!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I jumped off a swing when I was little and broke out all of my front teeth. I have sense been afraid of heights in a manner that defies logic.
    OUCH!!!

It's no wonder you have that fear now.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My mother dying. My sister. Being kidnapped and murdered.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Oh, I have Asperger's, so I had loads of weird fears as a child:
    • Exhaust fans.
    • Hand dryers.
    • Going through car washes.
    • Vacuum cleaners.
    • The flashing red light on smoke detectors.
    • Yellow bathtubs.

Don't ask me why I had these fears...I honestly don't know.
    My younger son who has autism really hates the two bolded things. I think the sound hurts his ears or something.

I was afraid of clowns and of my stuffed animals/animal posters coming to life and being upset with me over some perceived and unintentional slight.

I wasn't ever really afraid of the dark or of storms. It's made it a little hard to know how to deal with my kids having those very normal fears.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers