User Tag List

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Repressed emotion expresses itself as sentimentalism?

I heard this on BBC 2 the other night (in reference to DBC Pierre of all people).

Discuss!
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I heard this on BBC 2 the other night (in reference to DBC Pierre of all people).

Discuss!
    I never heard that before. What the did the show say about it? I would have thought that repressed emotions express themselves in lots of different ways.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

What was their definition of repressed emotions?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Can you elaborate? Do you mean...something major happens in a person's life, emotions are repressed, and as a consequence they'll react more strongly to something else?

Unhappy

Discuss!
    Repressed emotion longs to be heard but it has been struck dumb.

So just imagine, you have been struck dumb but you urgently need to communicate what has happened to you. So you act out.

You act out in dumb show what has happened to you.

But the tragedy is that the more you act out, the more the emotion remains repressed. And being repressed is hidden even from yourself. So one acts out and acts out and acts out like a madman. It's as though no one can hear you or see you, least of all yourself. You look in the mirror and there's no one there.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

The example given was a classic "set-peice" character (stereotypical "NT" if you like): the "narcissistic intellectual".

This personality is emotionally repressed, but the "shadow" of this repression is a strong streak of sentimentalism in art (for example, two examples I remember being common on intp-forums are attachment to Irish music or epic musicals such as Les Miserables -both of which I share).

"Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Smile

The example given was a classic "set-peice" character (stereotypical "NT" if you like): the "narcissistic intellectual".

This personality is emotionally repressed, but the "shadow" of this repression is a strong streak of sentimentalism in art (for example, two examples I remember being common on intp-forums are attachment to Irish music or epic musicals such as Les Miserables -both of which I share).

Irish music and epic musicals can be used to act out repressed emotions.

For instance, I had a repressed, alcoholic friend who would act out with grand opera. It had such a hold on him that he would travel the whole country going from opera house to opera house.

But all the grand opera in the world would not let his repressed emotions speak their name.

And it is only when our repressed emotions are enabled to speak for themselves, they can be analysed, evaluated and integrated into our personality.