User Tag List

Default Waking up gasping for air

Yesterday morning and this morning I had nightmares, both times in my dream I was gasping for air, which lead me to wake up gasping for air in real life. Anyone else experience this? Am I having panic attacks in my sleep? I have been pretty anxious this week dealing with work.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yup, sounds like you may be having panic attacks in your sleep. This happens to me occasionally (like, uh... when I don't take my meds!!). When I have panic attacks, it's almost always at night, and it usually happens JUST as I'm dropping off to sleep. Then I sit bolt upright in bed and have to get up. I usually wake up before I get to the point of gasping for air, but it comes along eventually.

I hope things work out with your job soon... panic attacks are no fun!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Banned

I have an ISFP friend who claims that breathing is a consious act for him, and that he sometimes wakes up because he is forgetting to breath.
    I know, he's an idiot.

I've never heard about people having panic attacks in their sleep though. Maby you are having night terrors and confusing them with nightmares.

Incubus?

You're probably just having anxiety-ridden dreams. If it continues when you don't have as much anxiety in life, consider that it might be sleep apnea.

MBTI
    INFP

You might be experiencing awareness during sleep paralysis (Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which is scary but otherwise harmless. It can involve feeling like you're having trouble breathing. I experience ASP frequently, and every so often I'll wake up feeling like I'm suffocating.

Of course, since you only mention that you wake up gasping for air, and not that you also wake up feeling like you can't move, anxiety or night terrors seem like the more likely answer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You're probably just having anxiety-ridden dreams. If it continues when you don't have as much anxiety in life, consider that it might be sleep apnea.
    My first thought was sleep apnea, but I thought most people who have that aren't aware of their trouble breathing; they just feel tired and sleep-deprived during the day and don't know why, unless they have a partner to tell them about the gasping.

Anyways, aside from the breathing, do you have other symptoms of panic (sweating, shaking, sense of impending doom)? Nocturnal panic attacks feel the same as those that happen while awake.

Doesn't sound much like sleep paralysis to me, unless there's a lot you aren't telling us.

Ive never experienced sleep paralysis before...sounds scary as hell, I dont think its sleep apnea either. If it happens again I should probabley see a therapist huh? How do you guys deal with anxiety?
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

I don't think it is anything to worry too much about BUT, a lot of things that happen in real life can transfer to your dream. If you were to sleep with books on your stomach, you might end up dreaming that you were being crushed on the chest while, at the same time, gasping to breathe.

After effects of dreams could translate to real life for a short duration too. I suppose bed wetting is an example of this.

As for sleep paralysis, you really do not want to go through it. I think I went through it once. I was aware that I had woken up from a nightmare, but I couldn't move nor speak.