• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

But calling me Oriental - offensive to me!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
If you get the quote....then, yeah. Definition:
of·fend

   /əˈfɛnd/ Show Spelled[uh-fend]
–verb (used with object) 1. to irritate, annoy, or anger; cause resentful displeasure in: Even the hint of prejudice offends me.

2. to affect (the sense, taste, etc.) disagreeably.

3. to violate or transgress (a criminal, religious, or moral law).

4. to hurt or cause pain to.

5. (in Biblical use) to cause to fall into sinful ways.

This term confuses me. I hear it so often. People in casual talk say it. Warnings in movies and tv shows say it. In fact, warnings everywhere possibly say it. But, me, I don't understand it. Never once in my life have I said to someone, "That offends me!"

I've always thought of it as being, "Saying or doing something that goes against someone's personal morals and/or beliefs" So, like, sexual things, racism, gender, nationality, etc. Harassment in that sense. I mean, is it also when you say something and it triggers negative emotions in someone? I mean, there are things like that for me, but I wouldn't go as far as to tell someone that what they say offends or bothers me. I mean, I can't control what other people say, so if something bothers me, it's up to me resolve it.

I'm just really trying to understand what this idea means. I've always known when I should avoid "offensive" things, but I could never figure out if it applied to me because I didn't get bothered by normal everyday offensive things. I'm just thinking out loud. Any takers are welcome.

G

Glycerine

I really couldn't care less if someone calls me that. It's just outdated and really old fashioned so it might be offensive to some.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
What's appropriate now? Asian? The only thing I've wondered about that is that Asia covers a pretty wide variety of areas and people groups. I think most people think of China, Japan, Korea and surrounding smaller countries when they hear that term, but it still seems kind of vague and inexact.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My post was regarding offense in general. The quote was just a joke, lol.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know, sorry about the tangent. I just wanted to know.

Quiet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
South Asian and East Asian I assume is what is currently politically correct ?

Last edited:

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I thought Oriental and Orientalism referred to the Middle East?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Re: offense, from what you say, I guess you just don't care that much what other people think about you or how they judge you so you aren't offended.

rav3n

I'm also confused. Are you suggesting that everyone has or should have the same level of sensitivity or insensitivity?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
I thought Oriental and Orientalism referred to the Middle East?

yeah areas that used to be persia, asia minor.
but later it extended even more far east.

some people find it offensive and some don't.
some only use the term to refer to objects and not people.

the connotations and use of the term varies on personal preference.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm also confused. Are you suggesting that everyone has or should have the same level of sensitivity or insensitivity?

I'm just really trying to understand it. I take things personal, but I also deduce on my own if something is even worth taking personal. I guess I don't think something is offensive because I know what sensitive subjects are for me, but at the same time, I accept that the world is chaotic and I just have to deal with anything that might be hurtful to me.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
If you get the quote....then, yeah. Definition:

This term confuses me. I hear it so often. People in casual talk say it. Warnings in movies and tv shows say it. In fact, warnings everywhere possibly say it. But, me, I don't understand it. Never once in my life have I said to someone, "That offends me!"

I've always thought of it as being, "Saying or doing something that goes against someone's personal morals and/or beliefs" So, like, sexual things, racism, gender, nationality, etc. Harassment in that sense. I mean, is it also when you say something and it triggers negative emotions in someone? I mean, there are things like that for me, but I wouldn't go as far as to tell someone that what they say offends or bothers me. I mean, I can't control what other people say, so if something bothers me, it's up to me resolve it.

I'm just really trying to understand what this idea means. I've always known when I should avoid "offensive" things, but I could never figure out if it applied to me because I didn't get bothered by normal everyday offensive things. I'm just thinking out loud. Any takers are welcome.

Offense is a slippery fish because it is so subjective. I hear that describing blacks as black used to be considered offensive back in the 60's. Negro was the polite term then, though I doubt it is now.

Abreviations are like that too. Sometimes they can be friendly, like Oz for Australia, or offensive, like Paki for Pakistani. Where does that switch lie? I guess a word become offensive in the mind of the speaker, but causes offensive only when interepted that way by the listener.

Or to put it another way, this question has no neat answer, only the chance for interesting observations.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Raz - should this be in "other psychology topics"? You might get better luck with responses in 'politics' or maybe 'relationships' if you can couch it in terms of specific examples

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Raz - should this be in "other psychology topics"? You might get better luck with responses in 'politics' or maybe 'relationships' if you can couch it in terms of specific examples

Offense seemed like a psychology topic, but maybe more relationship-based? If you want to move it, go ahead.

My point in the OP was just that I try to understand how other people take offense at things and want the world around them shaped around avoid those "offensive topics." It has two points that I see. The first, I've already illustrated, that anything that becomes nearly offensive to us is our responsibility to keep in check, not the environment. It limits free will. The second is that the world is chaotic. Free will and differing personalities within the human race leads to a world of chaos and unpredictability.

It's just, like I said, that when something that's hurtful to me is touched upon in the outside world, I take it as my responsibility to keep it in check. I don't expect or want the outside world to adjust itself to my emotions. Are the others that feel like they've rarely or never used the phrase, "That's offensive to me"?