User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I'm also confused. Are you suggesting that everyone has or should have the same level of sensitivity or insensitivity?
    I'm just really trying to understand it. I take things personal, but I also deduce on my own if something is even worth taking personal. I guess I don't think something is offensive because I know what sensitive subjects are for me, but at the same time, I accept that the world is chaotic and I just have to deal with anything that might be hurtful to me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    If you get the quote....then, yeah. Definition:

This term confuses me. I hear it so often. People in casual talk say it. Warnings in movies and tv shows say it. In fact, warnings everywhere possibly say it. But, me, I don't understand it. Never once in my life have I said to someone, "That offends me!"

I've always thought of it as being, "Saying or doing something that goes against someone's personal morals and/or beliefs" So, like, sexual things, racism, gender, nationality, etc. Harassment in that sense. I mean, is it also when you say something and it triggers negative emotions in someone? I mean, there are things like that for me, but I wouldn't go as far as to tell someone that what they say offends or bothers me. I mean, I can't control what other people say, so if something bothers me, it's up to me resolve it.

I'm just really trying to understand what this idea means. I've always known when I should avoid "offensive" things, but I could never figure out if it applied to me because I didn't get bothered by normal everyday offensive things. I'm just thinking out loud. Any takers are welcome.
    Offense is a slippery fish because it is so subjective. I hear that describing blacks as black used to be considered offensive back in the 60's. Negro was the polite term then, though I doubt it is now.

Abreviations are like that too. Sometimes they can be friendly, like Oz for Australia, or offensive, like Paki for Pakistani. Where does that switch lie? I guess a word become offensive in the mind of the speaker, but causes offensive only when interepted that way by the listener.

Or to put it another way, this question has no neat answer, only the chance for interesting observations.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    GONE

Raz - should this be in "other psychology topics"? You might get better luck with responses in 'politics' or maybe 'relationships' if you can couch it in terms of specific examples
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Raz - should this be in "other psychology topics"? You might get better luck with responses in 'politics' or maybe 'relationships' if you can couch it in terms of specific examples
    Offense seemed like a psychology topic, but maybe more relationship-based? If you want to move it, go ahead.

My point in the OP was just that I try to understand how other people take offense at things and want the world around them shaped around avoid those "offensive topics." It has two points that I see. The first, I've already illustrated, that anything that becomes nearly offensive to us is our responsibility to keep in check, not the environment. It limits free will. The second is that the world is chaotic. Free will and differing personalities within the human race leads to a world of chaos and unpredictability.

It's just, like I said, that when something that's hurtful to me is touched upon in the outside world, I take it as my responsibility to keep it in check. I don't expect or want the outside world to adjust itself to my emotions. Are the others that feel like they've rarely or never used the phrase, "That's offensive to me"?