Thread: Jung Vs. Freud

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I don't feel completely qualified to choose since I've read hella more Jung than Freud.

There's a reason for that though. Freud annoys me, Jung doesn't. I dunno, I accept and acknowledge Freud is basically the grandpappy of most modern psychology and I respect a lot of his ideas. It's just, it seems when he goes wrong he goes like mega-mega wrong.

I don't think Jung is perfect, but his thought process and ideas appeal to me more because they're more fluid and pliable to me. More useful to a broader range of folks, not so rigid.

If that made any kind of sense.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    I'd agree with your assessment of Jung, though without being able to cite examples, I am skeptical of what I interpret to mean "humane" in describing Freud. He is or was interested in humanity, certainly, but not too certain about his "humaneness" in personal quality, especially with regard to his relationship with other people. Speculative, but I thought I'd throw that out there...
    I've just heard Freud described as a "deeply compassionate" therapist who was committed to his patients... which isn't the persona one gets from his writings. Of course, that's all umpteenth hand. That doesn't mean he was a paragon of virtue in his personal life, either.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Gloriana, I think modern psychology was developed in opposition to Freud, rather than based on his ideas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I've just heard him described as a "deeply compassionate" therapist who was committed to his patients... which isn't the persona one gets from his writings. Of course, that's all umpteenth hand. That doesn't mean he was a paragon of virtue in his personal life, either.
    Ah, OK. Fair enough. I could definitely see him being an excellent therapist, but yeah it's definitely not there in his writings - which was the only thing I was basing my speculation on.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    I could definitely see him [Jung] being an excellent therapist...
    C'mon, Jung sexually abused his female patients.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Is that so?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

I thought this thread was going to be about who would win a fight. How disappointing

Edit: If the topic shifts to that my guess is Jung. He was a big man. Although Freud would be all coked up so some crazy stuff would go down.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Gloriana, I think modern psychology was developed in opposition to Freud, rather than based on his ideas.
    I'm not so sure about that. They might decry his theories and methods, but so much can be attributed directly to his innovations. The client-therapist one-on-one configuration (personal "therapy") was Freud's idea. The idea that one's history was relevant to resolving their issues was Freud's idea. Ego was Freud's. Avoidance, rationalization, and intellectualization to avoid certain anxieties...all Freud's. Maybe the behavioralists don't use Freud at all (agreed) but the Freudians, Neo-Freudians (Jung included), Gestalt therapists, and Transactional Analysts all rely on Freud's model significantly.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    The idea that one's history was relevant to resolving their issues was Freud's idea. Ego was Freud's. Avoidance, rationalization, and intellectualization to avoid certain anxieties...all Freud's.
    I think it's pretty safe to say that all of those ideas were expounded on by thinkers prior to Freud (thousands of years before, in some cases).

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. They might decry his theories and methods, but so much can be attributed directly to his innovations. The client-therapist one-on-one configuration (personal "therapy") was Freud's idea. The idea that one's history was relevant to resolving their issues was Freud's idea. Ego was Freud's. Avoidance, rationalization, and intellectualization to avoid certain anxieties...all Freud's. Maybe the behavioralists don't use Freud at all (agreed) but the Freudians, Neo-Freudians (Jung included), Gestalt therapists, and Transactional Analysts all rely on Freud's model significantly.
    Did someone actually have to come up with the bolded idea?
    Im out, its been fun