Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Jung is like Freud version 2.0. Same basic design, but updated and easier to navigate.
    That's very well put. I think it all has to do with the fact that Jung was a sharper and more analytical thinker than Freud. His systems and thoughts are far more easy to follow. Don't know what the consensus is with regard to Jung vs. Freud in terms of personality type, but, in my eyes, this issue of clarity in each thinker is the distinction between INTJ and INFJ, respectively.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    That's very well put. I think it all has to do with the fact that Jung was a sharper and more analytical thinker than Freud. His systems and thoughts are far more easy to follow. Don't know what the consensus is with regard to Jung vs. Freud in terms of personality type, but, in my eyes, this issue of clarity in each thinker is the distinction between INTJ and INFJ, respectively.
    Freud got really abstract and theoretical, and I think that'll kill any theory as it becomes further removed from reality. Jung kept things a little more practical, so his theories are easier to understand and appreciate.

MBTI
    ENTP

NT vs NF

It's all perspective.

What do you mean Jung kept things more pratical? Freud's theories seemed easier to comprehend to me...

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

It's actually probably the practical element that I was really drawn to and appreciated with Jung. I tend to be very abstract as well, but definitely with a practical objective in mind. After all, I am a Capricorn.

Regardless of practicality though, I'd still stay Jung was a better system builder than Freud was. Far more refined, I think. Hard to say that without inviting attacks, but there it is. I'm open to being convinced otherwise though.

MBTI
    ENTP

I keep wondering if the Zodiac is a NF thing.

Or maybe it's not type related.

---

I don't really see a Jung Vs. Freud
    What I see is more Jung + Freud

Angry

Freud's family was murdered by you know who, and Freud was forced to flee for this life, while Jung supported the murderers.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    NT vs NF

It's all perspective.

What do you mean Jung kept things more pratical? Freud's theories seemed easier to comprehend to me...
    Re: comprehension. To each his own. I think practical in the sense that there is a closer correlation between everyday life and his theories. Cognitive functions being the obvious example. Freud on the other hand remained almost exclusively in the inner workings of the mind, coming up with some very abstract and very insightful stuff, but only taking that brief foray into the expanding his theories into the world at large in Civ and Discontents. I think this is what was meant by the use of the word "practical." Hope that makes sense, but that's how I read it.

---

LOL. The zodiac thing might be an NF thing. I get a lot of crap about that and though I used to be quite the astrology skeptic myself, I got into it about a year ago and has since helped me a great deal in understanding why I've done the things I've done. Especially my own moon-sun sign combination - that was quite revelatory for me.

Yeah, this little diversion with readability and methodology is trivial, at best. I would agree with you and say it's a Jung AND Freud thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

---

The Zodiac isn't just an NF thing (at least not universally). Certainly not a believer, myself. Supposedly Jung found plenty of archetypal matter in the Zodiac and would sometimes calculate horoscopes for patients he was otherwise flummoxed by.

I think Freud was a far clearer writer Jung was. Jung was desperately in need of a good editor (or at least a good summarizer) but didn't allow such... in fact, he tended to attack anyone who attempted to summarize his theories. There's a lot in Jung's writings, but it's not terribly digestable. Plus his thought shifted over time, so the same term might have somewhat different meanings depending on when he was using it. Jung's many page (and mostly pointless) tangents make reading his work less enjoyable than it might be.

Still, I think Jung was more complex and a bit less dogmatic (or at least his dogma changed a bit over time). I also agree that Freud's theories aren't well regarded by modern psychologists except for his listing of basic defense mechanisms. I think Freud generally comes across as more reductionistic, despite being by most accounts a deeply humane man.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    The Zodiac isn't just an NF thing (at least not universally). Certainly not a believer, myself. Supposedly Jung found plenty of archetypal matter in the Zodiac and would sometimes calculate horoscopes for patients he was otherwise flummoxed by.
    Interesting, I did not know that. And no, I didn't mean it was just an NF thing, but NF tend to be more interested? I don't know.

I think Freud was a far clearer writer Jung was. Jung was desperately in need of a good editor (or at least a good summarizer) but didn't allow such... in fact, he tended to attack anyone who attempted to summarize his theories. There's a lot in Jung's writings, but it's not terribly digestable. Plus his thought shifted over time, so the same term might have somewhat different meanings depending on when he was using it. Jung's many page (and mostly pointless) tangents make reading his work less enjoyable than it might be.
    I'd say it depends on what you're reading but now, in retrospect, it may be that I just relate to him more and that made him clearer to me in my eyes, rather than his writing actually being clearer. My approach to Jung was browsing through the general secondary material (summarizing his theories, *gasp*), and then going to the primary. It's been too long since I've read him so I couldn't give you any specific examples and I'm too lazy to look up specific examples. But yeah, fair enough.

Still, I think Jung was more complex and a bit less dogmatic (or at least his dogma changed a bit over time). I also agree that Freud's theories aren't well regarded by modern psychologists except for his listing of basic defense mechanisms. I think Freud generally comes across as more reductionistic, despite being by most accounts a deeply humane man.
    I'd agree with your assessment of Jung, though without being able to cite examples, I am skeptical of what I interpret to mean "humane" in describing Freud. He is or was interested in humanity, certainly, but not too certain about his "humaneness" in personal quality, especially with regard to his relationship with other people. Speculative, but I thought I'd throw that out there...

MBTI
    ENTP

Freud gave psychology a big kick in the ass to move it forward. Even if his theories are now obsolete, and one may ridiculize some of his stuff, I admire he had balls to start this.

To me he's quite an inventor/explorer.

----------

Most NFs I know are quite attracted to the zodiac.
    Mom has a ton of books about this, she used to read all that stuff to me...it was interesting.