User Tag List

123 Last

Default Authentic Happiness

Authentic happiness, according to Martin Seligman, comes from knowing that one's own traits leads to good things in one's life.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Authentic happiness, according to Martin Seligman, comes from knowing that one's own traits leads to good things in one's life.

I don't know about that idea but Authentic Happiness is a great feeling!

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

It would be nice if this were true, and it certainly has some therapeutical value since it encourages to get a grip on your situation. However, it seems to ignore the impact "the outer world" may have. Luck may well play a part in happiness as well, just like context may limit your chances on happiness. So, I'd say it is an interesting thought. It may be very stimulating and inspiring, but it stays too much of a concept...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ISTP

I'd say all happiness is synthetic, there is nothing authentic about it. Feeling good about oneself is generally not relevent to how we see our own life (both "good things" and the connection between our actions and them are very subjective, so self realisation is just as subjective - you either do it, or you don't.)

Mind you, consistency does make us less unhappy

MBTI
    INTJ

I think that is rather egotistic and ignores one's own flaws. Not to mention happiness is just a certain firing of chemicals in your brain, regardless of how awesome it is.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTJ

The guy has a couple of research papers on the subject and apparently his methods are effective.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

If thats the case then I'll never be authentically happy on my own. Since one of my traits is one that can lead me to be self destructive. I don't see how it could ever lead to anything good in life.

Then again while my first response to it was that no I don't agree, and I had typed up an explanation as to why, it hit me, maybe he is right. Speaking for myself I'm not all that happy when I'm alone. I find I'm a lot happier when I'm with others who make up for my negative traits. So in that sense, maybe he's got a point. In that if you can identify your own traits you can lead a much better life.

I dunno, I guess I'll have to spend more then 10mins thinking about it to see if that still holds true or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I dunno, I guess I'll have to spend more then 10mins thinking about it to see if that still holds true or not.
    You can train yourself to think this way/have it pointed out to you. I'm just not sure you could call it "authentic", if there is such a thing, but it does work

You can take a look at Maverick to see it - he fully believes he does good and he strikes me as being happy. I'd go as far as saying he is the best example I know of (I know another ENTJ that does this...) of someone who managed to create their own happiness through this viewpoint/mechanism.

Maverick

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The guy has a couple of research papers on the subject and apparently his methods are effective.
    True, wrote some interesting things on optimism as well. However: a definition such as the one presented here seems like a mere slogan to me...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    You can train yourself to think this way/have it pointed out to you. I'm just not sure you could call it "authentic", if there is such a thing, but it does work
    I suppose the degree of authenticity of your hapiness depends on the authenticity of your knowledge that your traits lead to good things in your life.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield