• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Authentic Happiness

ygolo

My termites win
Authentic happiness, according to Martin Seligman, comes from knowing that one's own traits leads to good things in one's life.

What do you guys think of that idea?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Authentic happiness, according to Martin Seligman, comes from knowing that one's own traits leads to good things in one's life.

I don't know about that idea but Authentic Happiness is a great feeling! ;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

It would be nice if this were true, and it certainly has some therapeutical value since it encourages to get a grip on your situation. However, it seems to ignore the impact "the outer world" may have. Luck may well play a part in happiness as well, just like context may limit your chances on happiness. So, I'd say it is an interesting thought. It may be very stimulating and inspiring, but it stays too much of a concept...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd say all happiness is synthetic, there is nothing authentic about it. Feeling good about oneself is generally not relevent to how we see our own life (both "good things" and the connection between our actions and them are very subjective, so self realisation is just as subjective - you either do it, or you don't.)

Mind you, consistency does make us less unhappy :D

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ

I think that is rather egotistic and ignores one's own flaws. Not to mention happiness is just a certain firing of chemicals in your brain, regardless of how awesome it is.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

The guy has a couple of research papers on the subject and apparently his methods are effective. :yes:

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
If thats the case then I'll never be authentically happy on my own. Since one of my traits is one that can lead me to be self destructive. I don't see how it could ever lead to anything good in life.

Then again while my first response to it was that no I don't agree, and I had typed up an explanation as to why, it hit me, maybe he is right. Speaking for myself I'm not all that happy when I'm alone. I find I'm a lot happier when I'm with others who make up for my negative traits. So in that sense, maybe he's got a point. In that if you can identify your own traits you can lead a much better life.

I dunno, I guess I'll have to spend more then 10mins thinking about it to see if that still holds true or not.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I dunno, I guess I'll have to spend more then 10mins thinking about it to see if that still holds true or not.

You can train yourself to think this way/have it pointed out to you. I'm just not sure you could call it "authentic", if there is such a thing, but it does work :D

You can take a look at Maverick to see it - he fully believes he does good and he strikes me as being happy. I'd go as far as saying he is the best example I know of (I know another ENTJ that does this...) of someone who managed to create their own happiness through this viewpoint/mechanism.

:hug: Maverick

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
The guy has a couple of research papers on the subject and apparently his methods are effective. :yes:

True, wrote some interesting things on optimism as well. However: a definition such as the one presented here seems like a mere slogan to me...

ygolo

My termites win
You can train yourself to think this way/have it pointed out to you. I'm just not sure you could call it "authentic", if there is such a thing, but it does work :D

I suppose the degree of authenticity of your hapiness depends on the authenticity of your knowledge that your traits lead to good things in your life.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I suppose the degree of authenticity of your hapiness depends on the authenticity of your knowledge that your traits lead to good things in your life.

Right :D And if you can simply teach convince yourself or are set to believe that you do good...? Hard to believe that is authentic (but by the same argument, what could possibly be authentic?) I'd think the only authentic is if you are 'naturally' happy, chemically. But aren't you just creating that by being happy anyway? What if you inject yourself with chemicals to make yourself happy? Any difference.

So I dunno. I don't really understand happiness, so I see it all from a distance. I'm not even sure it's positive (up to the point where happiness for happiness sake seems like taking drugs, but unhappiness to the point of depression/motivation collapse is negative).

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
True, wrote some interesting things on optimism as well. However: a definition such as the one presented here seems like a mere slogan to me...

Yes you're right.

You can take a look at Maverick to see it - he fully believes he does good and he strikes me as being happy. I'd go as far as saying he is the best example I know of (I know another ENTJ that does this...) of someone who managed to create their own happiness through this viewpoint/mechanism.

:D :hug:

ygolo

My termites win

Right :D And if you can simply teach convince yourself or are set to believe that you do good...? Hard to believe that is authentic (but by the same argument, what could possibly be authentic?) I'd think the only authentic is if you are 'naturally' happy, chemically. But aren't you just creating that by being happy anyway? What if you inject yourself with chemicals to make yourself happy? Any difference.

These two comments lead me to elaborate a bit. The OP was a very terse paraphrase of my understanding of the book Authentic Hapiness.

I spead read this book one night (may go back through more carefully if I find it worthwhile).

IMO, the idea is that each of us has "signature strengths" that can be nurtured/honed to produce (nearly) universaly acknowledged virtues in ourselves. These virtues, in turn, produce good results that we would know to come about because our own natures (intead of by luck, etc.)

Hopefully, that is a bit more fleshed out.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%

It's all subjective tho isn't it? We all view things in our own unique way. The way I's and E's view things such as friendship for example.. Bah who knows, to be honest right now I got more pressing matters to think about then what is or isn't authentic happiness.

For me right now, happiness takes a back seat to trying to figure out how to survive the next few months of uncertainty. Hence why I said I'd have to take more then 10minutes thinking about it. I'll have to get back to you on this in a few months time.

ygolo

My termites win
It's all subjective tho isn't it? We all view things in our own unique way. The way I's and E's view things such as friendship for example.. Bah who knows, to be honest right now I got more pressing matters to think about then what is or isn't authentic happiness.

For me right now, happiness takes a back seat to trying to figure out how to survive the next few months of uncertainty. Hence why I said I'd have to take more then 10minutes thinking about it. I'll have to get back to you on this in a few months time.

Perhaps our own busy-ness leads to less happiness?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It could be true. But my belief is that it's learning to be content with how things are, and taking time out to do the things that are important to you personally rather than just pushing ahead all the time to get by, thinking that's what matters. It's easier said than done.

What do you think?

ygolo

My termites win
Pleasures vs. Gratifications

It could be true. But my belief is that it's learning to be content with how things are, and taking time out to do the things that are important to you personally rather than just pushing ahead all the time to get by, thinking that's what matters. It's easier said than done.

What do you think?

I tried to believe that for a little while. But what is the difference between that an apathy or resignation?

Some people are born with a drive to change things. I've found that trying to suppress it hurts more than it helps (significantly more).

Here are some quotes from the Authentic Happiness book that may clarify things:

In ordinary English, we do not distinguish between the gratifications and the pleasures. This is truly a shame, because it muddles together two different classes of the best things in life, and it deceives us into thinking they can each be had in the same way. We casually say that we like caviar, a back rub, or the sound of rain on a tin roof (all pleasures) as well as saying we like playing volleyball, reading Dylan Thomas, and helping the homeless (all gratifications)

When I press people about the existence of that underlying postive emotion, I find one underneath the pleasures: great food, a back rub, perfume, a hot shower all produce the raw feels of pleasure I mentioned at the beginning of this chapter. In contrast, when I press people about positive of pleasure we allegedly feel when serving coffee to the homeless, or reading Andrea Barret, or playing bridge or rock climbing, it is quite elusive.

What would happen if my entire life were made up of [] easy pleasures, never calling on my strengths, never presenting challenges? Such a life sets one up for depression. The strengths and virtues may wither during a life of taking shortcuts rather than choosing a life made full through pursuit of gratifications.

Pleasure is a powerful source of motivation, but it does not produce change; it is a conservative force that makes us want to satisfy existing needs, achieve comfort and relaxation...Enjoyment[gratification] on the other hand is not always pleasant, and it can be utterly stressful at times. A mountain climber may be close to freezing, utterly exhausted, in danger of falling into a bottomless crevasse, yet he wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Sipping a cocktail under a palm tree at the edge of the turquoise ocean is nice, but it just doesn't compare to the exhilaration he feels on that freezing ridge.

ygolo

My termites win
Signature Strenghts

For further clarifications about signature strengths, here is a quote from the book for questions to ask yourself after taking the test to identify strengths.

The idea is to see if the strengths identified by the test pass these criteria:

• A sense of ownership and authenticity ("This is the real me")
  • A feeling of excitement while displaying it, particularly at first
  • A rapid learning curve as the strength is first practiced
  • continuous learning of new ways to enact the strength
  • A sense of yearning to find ways to use it
  • A feeling of inevitability in using the strength ("Try and stop me")
  • Invigoration rather than exhaustion while using the strength
  • The creation and pursuit projects that revolve around it
  • Joy, zest, enthusiasm, even ecstasy while using it

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
A sense of ownership and authenticity ("This is the real me")

Is it just me, or does this one question not seem to fit in with the rest of the "signature strengths" questions?

I mean, this one question seems so one dimensional in that it leads to defining who you are by one single strength alone. In that sense it just doesn't seem like something you should ask yourself that question.

I don't think one strength defines me, I'd like to think I have multiple strengths that define the "real me".

Maybe it's just me *shrugs*

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nobody ever wants to feel sad, upset, disappointed, dejected or any of the other various negative human emotions, but tough tits! Due to life's ever changing and relatively unpredictable nature, it makes perfect sense that one's emotions should reflect, and be in response to, one's current experience.

All emotions are authentic, as opposed to one's thoughts, and or actions which may be purposefully or subconsciously inauthentic.

Emotions are inherently tempestuous and capricious, as they are instantaneous reactions to current circumstances. To ever expect to feel one emotion permanently, or even consistently is downright unrealistic and foolish.

Just like order needs chaos, and silence needs noise, happiness needs sadness in order to be defined as being the absence of its opposite.