User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 59

  1. #41
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Wisdom and knowledge
    Courage
    Love and humanity
    Justice
    Temperance
    Spirituality and transcendence



    Knowledge does not lead to happiness, wisdom does.
    Courage leads to happiness, but it can also lead to a short life.
    Justice is largely beyond our control.
    Love, humanity, temperance, spirituality and transcendence can all add meaning to our life.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  2. #42
    you are right mippus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    906

    Default

    I agree with Liquid Laser.
    These are virtues that indeed may well be universal. However, I do not see the direct link with happiness.
    A feeling of justice, for example, may well be a condition for happiness, but it will not bring you any in itself. Same goes for knowledge. Courgage -to me- even seems totally irrelevant in this respect.
    But then again, these are just labels, maybe I do not grasp their meaning well enough.
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Wisdom and knowledge
    Courage
    Love and humanity
    Justice
    Temperance
    Spirituality and transcendence



    Knowledge does not lead to happiness, wisdom does.
    Courage leads to happiness, but it can also lead to a short life.
    Justice is largely beyond our control.
    Love, humanity, temperance, spirituality and transcendence can all add meaning to our life.
    Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    I agree with Liquid Laser.
    These are virtues that indeed may well be universal. However, I do not see the direct link with happiness.
    A feeling of justice, for example, may well be a condition for happiness, but it will not bring you any in itself. Same goes for knowledge. Courgage -to me- even seems totally irrelevant in this respect.
    But then again, these are just labels, maybe I do not grasp their meaning well enough.
    In my interpretation, it is not that these things lead to happiness, but that they are universally acknowledged virtues.

    As such, exhibiting these virtues would make one a more virtuous person.

    As a caveat, I need to say that the virtues are not actually exhibited virtues unless in service of others.

    Claiming to be wise and knowledgeable without offering wisdom or knowledge to others is not virtuous. Being courageous towards selfish ends is not virtuous.....and so on.

    IMO, that being virtuous can lead to great sacrifices on the part of an individual (within reason, unless as an act as a martyr). These sacrifices in turn provide meaning. In turn, this meaning leads to more Authentic Happiness.

    If in addition, you are using your signature strengths in service of these virtues, there ought to be a profound sense of meaning, because you will be able to sacrifice much more of yourself.

    If in addition, you have a good deal of positive effect due to good social support, you can sacrifice with a smile on your face, and others will likely appreciate it more.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  4. #44
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Given how research says that happiness is hard-wired in our genes, I can only believe this. I can then say I am probably one of the lucky ones since I generally rarely feel much negative emotions except for short bursts. I'm not sure as to what's the source of it...yes I am good at some of the things I do, but much of it comes from the fact that I like doing them. And the fact that I like doing them comes from the fact that being naturally happy well, I just like doing most things, except the obviously painful ones. Maybe somebody that likes doing only a few things is bound to be less happy? Hard to understand really.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #45
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Given how research says that happiness is hard-wired in our genes, I can only believe this. I can then say I am probably one of the lucky ones since I generally rarely feel much negative emotions except for short bursts. I'm not sure as to what's the source of it...yes I am good at some of the things I do, but much of it comes from the fact that I like doing them. And the fact that I like doing them comes from the fact that being naturally happy well, I just like doing most things, except the obviously painful ones. Maybe somebody that likes doing only a few things is bound to be less happy? Hard to understand really.
    That's mildly confusing to me... happiness hard-wired? I don't get it. Happiness to me is a special feeling you get once in a while when everything is just right. Most of the time you just go along in a mildly negative or neutral state, but hoping for a little more. I always thought that's how it was for most people...

  6. #46
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That's mildly confusing to me... happiness hard-wired? I don't get it. Happiness to me is a special feeling you get once in a while when everything is just right. Most of the time you just go along in a mildly negative or neutral state, but hoping for a little more. I always thought that's how it was for most people...
    Well, my writing wasn't really aimed at being clear, it was a stream of consciousness. Anyhow, I generally feel pretty good; I've had more stressful periods of my life (short lived) where I felt neutral-to-negative, and the difference between now and then is very marked. Of course I can always hope for something better, but I don't feel like I need it. Sometimes when I am too happy for no particular reason (in spring for example) I tend to let the more important things of my life slide away a bit (like school), provided that I have enough money to live well.

    What I mean by feeling good:
    - High levels of energy
    - Sufficiently high level of self-confidence
    - Wanting to talk with other people and laughing easily when you do
    - Generally being happy and focussed in doing what you should do, be it working or studying
    - Optimism
    - Not feeling like what I'm doing is being forced upon me, but that it's my choice to do so
    - Stable mood, in the sense that negative events do not change the positive baseline feeling

    The time intervals in which I was feeling worse were mostly characterized by a prominence of the negation of the last two conditions: I felt like I was doing something out of necessity, and also my mood was far from being stable.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  7. #47
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, my writing wasn't really aimed at being clear, it was a stream of consciousness. Anyhow, I generally feel pretty good; I've had more stressful periods of my life (short lived) where I felt neutral-to-negative, and the difference between now and then is very marked. Of course I can always hope for something better, but I don't feel like I need it. Sometimes when I am too happy for no particular reason (in spring for example) I tend to let the more important things of my life slide away a bit (like school), provided that I have enough money to live well.

    What I mean by feeling good:
    - High levels of energy
    - Sufficiently high level of self-confidence
    - Wanting to talk with other people and laughing easily when you do
    - Generally being happy and focussed in doing what you should do, be it working or studying
    - Optimism
    - Not feeling like what I'm doing is being forced upon me, but that it's my choice to do so
    - Stable mood, in the sense that negative events do not change the positive baseline feeling

    The time intervals in which I was feeling worse were mostly characterized by a prominence of the negation of the last two conditions: I felt like I was doing something out of necessity, and also my mood was far from being stable.
    That's weird... I would describe what you just called normal as an elevated or ecstatic condition for me, and what you described as stress to be my baseline, or average state. If I were as happy as you usually are all the time, I think I would feel terribly overstimulated. So in some weird way, I guess I just don't mind being a little unhappy.

  8. #48
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Yeah, that's what I think ptgatsby refers to when he says that extraverts are generally more happy than introverts, psychologically speaking. Introverts' nervous system might not be able to bear such a baseline state of stimulation.

    The bad sides of this conditions are that sometimes I'm restless when I am going through a task which requires a lot of pain-staking thought and work, and also that sometimes I may go through periods of a bit of insomnia (sleeping 5-6 hous a day instead of 8). [I can also be slightly megalomaniac/self-centered, but not in a negative way I think, generally just as a joke].

    What I'd refer to as elevated or ecstatic state is not something I could sustain on everyday terms either, really. It happens to me when I'm biking over a mountain that I suddenly feel ecstatic at watching the plains under me, but that feeling comes with such a rush that leaves me not able to reason and sometimes puts me on the verge of crying. Not something good to live in this world, imho.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  9. #49

    Default

    Happiness in Sligman's book is given by the following equation (given for symbolism I think more than being an actual equation)

    H=S+C+V

    Where H is happiness, S is the biological "set" level of happiness (where you return to after the effects of particular events wear off), C is your life circumstances, and V is the use of positive psychology.

    S was found to be just biological.

    C comes down to adequate social support, in the forms of positive socializing, marriage, and support that comes from religious/spiritual communities. This is consistent with extraverts being happier generally. It is also consistent with the study than proteanmix brought up showing that "being extraverted" increases the level of positive affectivity in a person. Being listened to without being judged is an incredibly simple and powerful form of social support.

    Wealth can have an adverse effect if in poverty, a slight positive effect if it keeps increasing. Health can affect happiness if many chronic illnesses come together. The subjective assessment of health is most important.

    V is what is offered in his book. Granted, this has more to do with "life satisfaction" than the more usual meanings of "positive affectivity" or lack of "negative affectivity."

    Actually, life satisfaction is what I think about when I consider happiness.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #50
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What I'd refer to as elevated or ecstatic state is not something I could sustain on everyday terms either, really. It happens to me when I'm biking over a mountain that I suddenly feel ecstatic at watching the plains under me, but that feeling comes with such a rush that leaves me not able to reason and sometimes puts me on the verge of crying. Not something good to live in this world, imho.

    I will get this way about ideas or music. I always put down to Fi. I have it quite often. It is just part of my life.

Similar Threads

  1. Religious Testimonies & Authenticity
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM
  2. OMG HAPPY BIRTHDAY IVY!!!
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 12:36 AM
  3. Authentic happiness test
    By Saslou in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
  4. Happiness, Children, and Are you that one girl?
    By Wolf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAREBEAR!!!
    By Carebear in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO