• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Traits of Females who are abandoned by/lose their father at a young age

Void

Permabanned
Like others have already mentioned, it would be dependent on a lot of variables, such as the age, relationship and circumstances at the time of abandonment. If her prior experiences with her father figure were unsavory or minimal, I can understand how she(depending on the particular individual) would either become over dependent or the extreme opposite with the men in her life.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
It might be easier if I were asked questions.

Long term effects. I will never be the person who thinks, "that will never happen to me". I know it can happen to me, or you or you. I realized life is not certain.

I think, if I had had a solid support system when he died I would have fared much better. Sadly I was an extrovert who could barely figure out what to wear without talking about it, yet I had no one to talk with about such a traumatic event. I had to introvert to deal with it, and that is what made me feel alone and isolated for many years...

Really it affected me in a lot of ways, I'm not sure where to start, but I'm an open book, so ask away.

I wanted to expand a little further on spamtar's questions for you and ask you a few more specific ones.

1. How old were you when he died? (As someone else said earlier, differences in age of when loss/abandoment occurred makes a huge difference in the effect it has on a child)
2. How do you think this effected your relationship with men - if that is your orientation (as spamtar also asked)? Did you find that you were more timid in approaching men as the absence of a male figure in your life made you less comfortable with them? Or were you able to find a male presence that, to a certain extent, replaced your father's? I could imagine in either case of abandonment or loss, a stronger sense of attachment to your S.O. would occur, but is this true? What kind of general patterns did you see, not necessarily in your choice of men, but in how you related to them?

I'm interested in how losing a father at a young age can affect a young girl as I have some personal interest in the topic. I have some ideas but I'd like to hear what you have to say. Thanks again for your willingness to share - I think this will help me a lot.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought it was known that when a daughter is abandoned by her father it is more likely that she will end up as an Enneagram type 4. What I've found is that many 4's have an extreme fear of abandonment, rooted from their father or mother emotionally or physically abandoning them when they were young.

I don't really relate to the other stuff in the post (especially the attention seeking part - ick, no), but this rings a bell. I definitely see losing vs being abandoned having different effects also, as one is usually more of a choice on the part of the parent.

While I was not technically abandoned, my dad left the family unit when I was 2 and I did not see him a lot growing up. My mother said after he left I expressed a lot of fear that she would leave me also. I have a tendency to withdraw from people and avoid serious relationships to avoid rejection. I know "fear of rejection" is sort of cliche, but it has definitely been a negative force in my mind. I tend to have some feelings of shame regarding what I see as my true self (and so it's kept extremely guarded), not being good enough, and needing to assert a unique identity which is associated with 4s and which I can connect to my dad's departure.

In my blog here, I wrote about the enneagram 4, woundings that lead to the 4 motivations, and how I feel my relationship with my parents (ie. dad leaving at a young age) affected my personality, if anyone is interested in the details (I also briefly discuss 5s, 7s, and 6s a little, as I also mention my sister):
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-blogs/27417-i-started-something-i-couldn-t-finish-typical-me.html

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't really relate to the other stuff in the post (especially the attention seeking part - ick, no), but this rings a bell. I definitely see losing vs being abandoned having different effects also, as one is usually more of a choice on the part of the parent.

:yes:

While I was not technically abandoned, my dad left the family unit when I was 2 and I did not see him a lot growing up. My mother said after he left I expressed a lot of fear that she would leave me also. I have a tendency to withdraw from people and avoid serious relationships to avoid rejection. I know "fear of rejection" is sort of cliche, but it has definitely been a negative force in my mind. I tend to have some feelings of shame regarding what I see as my true self (and so it's kept extremely guarded), not being good enough, and needing to assert a unique identity which is associated with 4s and which I can connect to my dad's departure.

I can relate to this, though my beginning's a bit different from yours, OA. My father left me & my mom before I was born. He panicked after my mother told him she was pregnant, figured she was trying to "trap" him into a long-term relationship (she wasn't), and took off, with a very yellow belly indeed. No surprise that the guy's never paid child support (and also hasn't gone to big boy jail for not paying), has taken no kind of responsibility for me, has never gotten in contact with me or my mother to try and rectify his mistake, and has ultimately wormed his way out of every obligation (legal, financial, emotional, etc.) he owed me. I should be pissed! I should be angry, and upset, and very loud about how disgusted I am to know I've come from the kind of weak and spineless person who doesn't have the decency to care about anyone else but himself, but I'm not. I just don't have the energy to expend on someone whose never cared enough to expend any on me, just don't.

Luckily, throughout my life, I've had a number of positive "father figures": uncles, family friends, older male cousins, my grandfather, etc; and, though they've all been very solid examples of how to be good people/parents/fathers/men, that first and initial rejection for me still stings. As you've said, OA, it sounds cliche, but I really am terrified of rejection! And whatever form of rejection I receive now just confirms whatever inadequate feelings I've already been harboring towards myself, no matter how much I've tried suppressing them. In the past I've been very guarded in relationships and friendships and whenever I feel someone getting too close I withdraw. The irony, though, is I have to risk vulnerability and the prospect of revealing parts of myself with people before I can even begin to get what I want most (understanding). Even today, any situation that involves being open and having to come out of my comfort zone is very difficult for me to cope with, and if the situation happens to peak my anxiety level and overwhelm me past a certain point it can actually reduce me to tears. I think those are the most pronounced ways being rejected and abandoned by my father has affected me.

This really isn't something I like talking about and am very reluctant to even lay it out here, but I thought since this forum's helped me a lot towards much of my own self-discovery that I'd share a rather personal part of myself to aid in whatever... case study this turns out to be. I hope it helped some.

From your blog, OA, what resonated most with me was how type 4s feel devalued & unworthy as a result of a parent, or both, being absent very early in their lives (or, in my case, completely abandoning them & doing everything possible to be relieved of their parental rights to them) as well as how type 5s feel smothered emotionally by one parent (here, the mother) and learn to take refuge inside the safety of their own minds.

Loved your explanation. :)

An interesting part of the book is how it discusses the emotional reasons behind a type developing the way it does. My understanding of how this works for a 4 is that a person becomes a 4 as a result of feeling rejected/abandoned by a parent, or both parents. The rejection/abandonment may be literal or simply one which is felt because a parent is distant, high/drunk, or unloving to the child. Basically, the child feels devalued.

The child deals with this wounding by striving to create a unique identity to explains the events: "my parent did not reject me because I am bad, but rather, my parent could not understand me because I am so unique". This unique identity that 4s strive for is a coping mechanism and a defense. When their unique identity is threatened, they may feel worthless, because if they are not unique, then they are simply flawed and that is why they were rejected. They need to feel "special" to have the value the parent took away. Of course, this is no conscious conclusion, but a deep, raw feeling that arises and motivates.

The 5 becomes a 5 often because a parent "smothered" the child, usually the mother. The child felt the parent intruded on their privacy, personal space, and tries to inhibit the child from becoming a separate individual from the parent. Or, the parent's emotions may have overwhelmed the child, also having a smothering effect. The child then retreats into his head, as a way to find escape from the parent, and develops a haven that the parent cannot intrude into.

The 5 develops an identity of being a total individual, detached from others and the external world, and wary of the burdens emotions can bring. Hence, the type 5 becoming a cerebral person, more interested in analyzing information than connecting to people, detaching from emotions which threaten his calm mental state, and striving to maintain independence at the cost of relationships. When the 5 is threatened with passionate feeling or a damper on his independence, then he begins to feel powerless, at the mercy of the frustrated feelings his parent's wounding inspired.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I think maybe you're both putting a type 4 spin on it.
Not everyone with a smothering mother becomes type 5. Not everyone abandoned by a parent becomes type 4.

Barring abuse or severe neglect, I think attachment patterns are broadly shaped by nature rather than nurture. E.g. Type 5 is said to be ambivalent to both parents. Well, we're pretty much ambivalent towards everything so no great surprises here. Does the type 5 "retreat" because the mother's emotions are "overwhelming" or does the type 5 find even normal emotional stimulation overwhelming? No real way of knowing which is egg and which is chicken...

Chloe

Not everyone with a smothering mother becomes type 5. Not everyone abandoned by a parent becomes type 4.

Barring abuse or severe neglect, I think attachment patterns are broadly shaped by nature rather than nurture. E.g. Type 5 is said to be ambivalent to both parents. Well, we're pretty much ambivalent towards everything so no great surprises here. Does the type 5 "retreat" because the mother's emotions are "overwhelming" or does the type 5 find even normal emotional stimulation overwhelming? No real way of knowing which is egg and which is chicken...

I think it's bolded. Every type is sensitive towards something different, like E5 on stimulation. Best way to know is looking at siblings, e5 will have totally different complaints about parents than e3 or e7 for example.
its all about how the child perceives his parents.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Daddy issues usually show up in sexuality or most commonly.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've always had my own preconceived ideas of what abandonment is and assumed i fit that category however spending significant time researching the subject .. I'll admit i did have issues in the past regarding my father but last year we actually talked like father/daughter for the first time and found out he did love me but showed it in a way so he couldn't get hurt. That was all i needed from him.

With my ex husband i thought i had the same issues but again realise now, it wasn't abandonment, it was trust issues. He cut me high and dry and was so absorbed in his own emotions, he forgot about me. His shrink thinks i have abandonment issues with my father without having ever met me. Shit like that hurts ..

I don't think i have abandonment issues as they have been resolved, my issues is those who say they love me .. then behave in a way that contradicts this thus i have trust issues but i refuse to allow this behaviour continue .. I will not tar every man with the same brush.

If the below is true .. I don't mind dealing with life alone, that's not the issue .. I don't like being fucked around and not having closure.
Hearn describes fear of abandonment as a psychological disorder where the individual suffering from this illness cannot control the fear that he or she feels when faced with the idea of having to cope with life and its difficulties alone.

This thread has been incredibly beneficial in so many different ways :D
Thanks.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well, right, but that's not what I was implying in the first place. Just that as a result of the kind of love and attachment I experienced and witnessed as a child I came to this end. Someone else could have grown up in an identical environment to one I grew up in and turned out another type - I realize that.

Depends on the 5. Maybe the wings and subtypes play a role here?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i am a type 7 but i'm not sure if loosing your father at age 18 counts. they did however divorce when i was very young but he remained a constant part of my life. we were very close...i was a daddy's girl since i was born. i'm not sure how this all relates to being type 7...but it might.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I remember seeing my father when I was 4.5 years old and intuitively knowing he was my father yet not being absolutely certain because I saw him so seldom prior to that age.

I was neglected/rejected by my father till he died when I was 21.

He and what he represents is definitely integral as to why I am an enneagram 4.

That's all for now.

I could say a lot more, but don't want to go down that incredibly sad thought path right now, sorry.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
This thread is offically...

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHdGySZLcIQ&feature=related"]Sad[/youtube]

rowingineden

MBTI Type
iNfp
Enneagram
9w1
Yes I am interested in how it affects relationships interpersonal and particularly romantic relationships. Trust seems to be either limited or very intense but short lived or very often wanting repeated assurances/physical presence. Another aspect is a particular sensitively to criticism, especially by someone who is close (i.e. even when complemented noticing those parts of the complement that are less complementary then the main gist of the complement. For example I have noticed in some different voice either 1) a little girl voice well into adulthood or 2) an emotionally fluctuating and animated voice [sometime with a angry or brooding tone] or 3) a quiet shy voice or 4) a mixture of the above. I don't know if this is symptomatic it is just anecdotal and wondering if this fits a profile.

I would also ask those who have gone through this whether surviving this experiance has given you specific gifts or strengths and what they are?
What I went through with my biological father definitely made me more critical, more moral, more cautious (reluctant to trust), more intuitive, more avoidant, more protective of people close to me, stronger, and more mature. However, on the flip side, I tend to need someone to remind me very frequently that they do care about me, and I don't like criticism (I'm already critical of myself enough that it just seems redundant!) and I tend to want to have a chance to act childlike and playful.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
However, on the flip side, I tend to need someone to remind me very frequently that they do care about me, and I don't like criticism (I'm already critical of myself enough that it just seems redundant!) and I tend to want to have a chance to act childlike and playful.

I notice this with women under these circumstances when I get close to them. In fact it is rather pleasureful. It reminds me of a lady friend of mine who purposely sought out a bottle-fed kitten to adopt ( a kitten whose mother had died before nursing had been completed). They were very close and it was as if the kitten thought she was its mother.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. That stood out to me too.

It ties in with Fives integrating to Eight - Eight being the power-seeking type.
INTP 5s definitely have this tension between wanting ultimate control over their environment and person and at the same time not wanting to be bothered by anything/one. I guess those are two sides of the same coin.

INTP 9s solve the problem of not being bothered in a different way. It's all pretty interesting.

/derail

And another slight derail... hilarious, last night I was talking with ISFJ ex in relation to my ISFJ mom and sister (note that ISFJs often identity as 2 or 2w1) and it was specifically said (not by me!) in regards to a specific social situation we're all dealing with right now that they were trying to control the situation in order to minimize potential conflict and in the process were not actually taking people's feelings into consideration or including them in the deliberations, which was wrong, but it was about them remaining in control of the situation.

It was, like, right out of the horse's mouth!

People seek power for different reasons.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I got into the nature vs. nurture part in the blog entry (which is admittedly just rough ideas)....that was only a portion of it quoted. I personally think enneagram is nurture, and everything I've read on it supports that, as enneagram is very much about moving towards self-actualization (where the integration points come into play). However, I think cognitive functions are mostly nature...

its all about how the child perceives his parents.

Exactly. Two children with the same upbringing can definitely be different enneagram types. Again, in my blog, I discussed my sister, who has the same parents, and how her subjective experience of the same events probably made her a 7w6. Part of it is, I am an INFP and she is an ESFP, so we're already starting from very different places.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got into the nature vs. nurture part in the blog entry (which is admittedly just rough ideas)....that was only a portion of it quoted. I personally think enneagram is nurture, and everything I've read on it supports that, as enneagram is very much about moving towards self-actualization (where the integration points come into play). However, I think cognitive functions are mostly nature...

Exactly. Two children with the same upbringing can definitely be different enneagram types. Again, in my blog, I discussed my sister, who has the same parents, and how her subjective experience of the same events probably made her a 7w6. Part of it is, I am an INFP and she is an ESFP, so we're already starting from very different places.

Does not compute. "Subjective" = Nature

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I had my father growing up, but my mother left when I was one. I have two older sisters who also experiences this --

And I've noticed we are all the same in our behavior, especially when it comes to relationships. We are vastly different when it comes to our careers and how we go about life, but when it comes to how we interact with people -- we are very...cold. We rarely get emotional and we are highly detached from most people. We are very aggressive in most aspects of life, especially when pursuing men. Both of my sister's are also very sexual people, although not very "loving" or sentimental.

Basically, we think like men. But I suppose that is to be expected. I'm not sure what their MBTI type is however, due to the fact I don't think they have the patience to take the test.