• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's in a Name?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What's in a name?
- Juliet.

A name is an appellation.

appellative
name
title
cognomen
epithet
style
denomination
description
descriptive term

Is the inquiry of a name psychology or linguistics or both? Or literature? William Shakespeare has Anthony address the Romans:

Friends: He creates trust.
Romans: Countrymen: He creates patriotism in time of need. (and succeeded therein: The Civil War started in a jiffy.)
Any other lit springs to mind? Is there a psychologist or a linguist who ever paid attention to naming?
Do you name? Why do you name?
Did you name today, yesterday, a week ago?
Who did you name? What was your motive? Does your mother or father name? Does your cousin, grandfather, nonno, sister name?

We see naming is used in political manipulation. It goes the other way, too. The German public appelled Hitler and the Italian public appelled Mussolini the Leader. What was the wisdom in that? What was the political repercussion? Forty million dead?

Why did Sarah name Gibson Charlie? Why do they say Sarah is stupid? Was it stupid to call Gibson Charlie? She did not only call him Charlie, she was good in calling him Charlie. She could not change Gibson's questions, no. She changed his tone of voice. She changed his body language. She had him cowed. Not much. Gibson is a professional. He had himself in check. Not much, granted. A little was enough. :)

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Sexiness is in a name.

Mole

Permabanned
Give a dog a good name and he sticks to it.

Adam and Eve named the plants and the animals, and ever since then the first duty of a leader is to name.

And to name is the greatest and first power of homo sapiens, naming separates us from all the other animals.

We name and rename. We call and we recall.

And by naming ourselves, we recall ourselves.

We call out to one another. We invoke one another.

We invoke good and evil. We can even invoke a god. Speak of the devil, we say, and he appears.

Give a dog a good name, we say, and he sticks to it.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people think names of "sub-genres" (in music) are ridiculous. But I find them useful...for example there is a type of music called "Jungle" but there are many sub genres of Jungle: Darkstep, Drum Funk, Intelligent, Jump-Up, Liquid Funk, Techstep, Neuro Funk, Ragga, etc.... with out those sub genres I would have to explain the sounds.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Adam and Eve named the plants and the animals, and ever since then the first duty of a leader is to name.

And to name is the greatest and first power of homo sapiens, naming separates us from all the other animals.

We invoke good and evil. We can even invoke a god. Speak of the devil, we say, and he appears.

Sarah Palin plays God?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm not going to lie, wildcat, I'm sort of confused. what's this thread about?:confused:

T

ThatGirl

A name is simply a word that can bypass assimilation and provide a familiar understanding for the case at hand.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They say it is infinite, the number of names we have for ourselves.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not going to lie, wildcat, I'm sort of confused. what's this thread about?:confused:
Only in excess it is about a phony respect or abuse. Read Shakespeare.
Appellation of a name in general is about loci. No problem there.
Only the excess use is about displacing a person or a tribe.

Palin addresses Gibson "Charlie" 13 times during the interview. Abuse of intimacy.
Gibson does not address Palin "Sarah" ..

Abuse of a tribe/community/gender/sexual identity or orientation:
"Jid. Kike. Nigger. Fag" .. see the names in the context. No offence intended.

Abuse in prison: Deprivation of a name. Prisoner 153729 ..

The context of the use of a name in warfare:
Viet Nam, the Balkans, Kirghisia. Deprivation of humanity.

Anything else?
Synthesis?
Number? The toll of the dead?
Inference?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I don't know what's in my name, I just know I Want to change it because that's good for my carreer.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes.
The name is not the thing.
We only think it is. :)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
compartmentalization?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
compartmentalization?
Yes. A good show. Well spoken. :)
Compartmentalization is now.
But in the end it is only the stage before the final takeover.

What is in a name?
Power.

Who acts in your name?
The representatives of the House.
The banks.
The social workers.

What follows? It already happened.
A betrayal of trust is what followed.
The servant became the master.

The Communists stole the name of the people they represented.
The West was immune to the betrayal of trust?
It has already happened.

Life is compartmentalized, regulated. For whose benefit? For the benefit of the bureaucrat.
You may say you have still money on your bank account? You mean your bank account is still on your name.

You are the guardian of your child. In name. Take care. If you have children, do not mess with the authorities.
Do not mess with anyone who has a direct link with the authorities.
Who are they? They who represent the health sector, they who represent education.
Nurses, doctors, teachers.

West is freedom.
In name.
Take care.

Now the come during daytime.
Tomorrow they come when you sleep.