• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

interesting life vs interesting mind in others

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
When you meet someone do you pay more attention to(and like him/her because of) what the person has experienced(talks about how he was wrestling with wolfs in siberia etc)/experiences(has an interesting life that he likes to talk about) and if the person shares really much of the same interests as you or if the way that person functions in psychological level is interesting, but has only some of the same interests as you and doesent have very interesting life, but few things happen in his life from time to time that are interesting to you?

Im interested to know how different types answer to this

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I lean more towards Interesting Minds. Its more fun to vibe on ideas and thoughts, its more intriguing to me. How about you?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
mind of course. mind cant be really altered, but life can. not to mention that it gets boring to listen about wrestling with wolfs in the long run. But interesting mind in my opinion in others is the kind of that does things and not just be too passive and think about things. But its not that he/she has to do interesting things, its more that its easier to do things with him/her

Ingrid in grids

Interesting minds.

Since we're talking about "when you meet someone", I guess this would be communicated through manner of speech, topics discussed, overall manner etc etc.

Still, I don't think I could help being interested in a story about wrestling wolves in Siberia. I'm attracted to the foreign... foreign minds, foreign experiences.

Anyway, with the "interesting" people I've met, I've found that the two often go hand-in-hand. An interesting mind draws interesting experiences. An interesting mind turns the mundane into an interesting experience.

Ingrid in grids

mind of course. mind cant be really altered, but life can. not to mention that it gets boring to listen about wrestling with wolfs in the long run. But interesting mind in my opinion in others is the kind of that does things and not just be too passive and think about things. But its not that he/she has to do interesting things, its more that its easier to do things with him/her

Define "interesting things". An interesting life doesn't need to be extreme for it to be interesting. I agree with you that an interesting mind is "the kind that does things". An interesting mind that sees things in a new way is a blessing, but a waste if it produces nothing and creates nothing significant. These significant things are the interesting experiences.

Last edited:
P

Phantonym

Interesting minds. Picking them apart, or at least trying to, in hopes that you never really fully succeed and that there's more and more and more coming from there. :laugh:

An interesting mind draws interesting experiences. An interesting mind turns the mundane into an interesting experience.

Oh, yes. Very true.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting mind. I'm more interested with sharing experiences with the person, than with things he experienced withut me. And to share experience together, we must like each other, and so an interesting mind is more important.

Who care about interesting life?:huh: Are we supposed to give our curriculum vitae?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who care about interesting life?:huh:

someone who thinks interesting people do interesting things and that interesting mind equals to doing interesting things more than that interesting people think in interesting ways

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overall, interesting mind. It's more likely to stay interesting - whereas for one reason or another the person might stop doing interesting things!

Also, I very much get the impression with some I've met that they've tried to travel a lot, do "cool things" etc etc to make themselves look interesting. And frankly, they're still boring and shallow and didn't get much out of what they did.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
someone who thinks interesting people do interesting things and that interesting mind equals to doing interesting things more than that interesting people think in interesting ways

If a people don't do interesting things, it can be because he experiments more difficulties and shake in his life than enjoyement, not because he's not interesting.

gromit

likes this
Huh. Not sure I’d really evaluate someone in terms of either. I prefer if they can make me laugh and also laugh at my jokes/stories, and are kind and fun to be around, and maybe a little bit quirky.

I like it when people have thought about their values and about human relationships/interactions. That is what I care about most. I am interested in why people behave as they do, mostly so I can improve my relationships with them.

But I don't really go about selecting my friends based on their 'interesting mind' or their 'interesting life'. Or I guess everyone seems to have an interesting mind and life to me, because everyone comes from a different background, seems to have done different things with their talents and situation, to have different views on the same topic and to have arrived at those views differently. I've never met somebody who was 100% predictable.

UGH I am sorry I didn't answer the question at all...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Overall, interesting mind. It's more likely to stay interesting - whereas for one reason or another the person might stop doing interesting things!

Also, I very much get the impression with some I've met that they've tried to travel a lot, do "cool things" etc etc to make themselves look interesting. And frankly, they're still boring and shallow and didn't get much out of what they did.

Same here.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting mind. If someone has an interesting life, I feel like I have nothing to contribute to the conversation cos my life would be boring in comparison to theirs! :laugh: Would be great to learn about someone else's interesting life experiences though. Just wouldn't guarantee that I would have much to say afterwards, other than asking them more questions about their experiences and what they have learned from them.

Lark

Well, unless is a chick with a great butt in wench wear.

Then it might not be just about their mind.

Chloe

interesting mind

people who dont have interesting mind cant have interesting life imo, maybe on the first look, but when you look closer it is boring. i dont care have you been on all continents.. i care what did you learn there, your thoughts.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
When you meet someone do you pay more attention to(and like him/her because of) what the person has experienced(talks about how he was wrestling with wolfs in siberia etc)/experiences(has an interesting life that he likes to talk about) and if the person shares really much of the same interests as you or if the way that person functions in psychological level is interesting, but has only some of the same interests as you and doesent have very interesting life, but few things happen in his life from time to time that are interesting to you?

Im interested to know how different types answer to this

An interesting mind could make a trip to the grocery store fascinating whereas just an interesting life does not amount to great/intriguing speaker/motivator/conversation piece. Life is what happens to you, your mind is what you create yourself. :D And self-creation is sexy.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, unless is a chick with a great butt in wench wear.

Then it might not be just about their mind.

Pretty much LOL

That's a sexy thing- a girl that can get into my mind.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, with the "interesting" people I've met, I've found that the two often go hand-in-hand. An interesting mind draws interesting experiences. An interesting mind turns the mundane into an interesting experience.

I think this is true, but, it's also important to note that those I am most drawn to, and classify as most 'Interesting', have both interesting minds/thoughts, as well as interesting and varied life experiences. Others won't have life experiences as part of their classification of 'Interesting'. But it isn't really either/or as to my preferences, it is in fact both.

I must confess, I am going to kind of go against the grain here and say I am not super interested in someone who has a mind full of amazing thoughts and ideas, but who in the end sits at home and doesn't actualize any of it. Doesn't do anything with his life. That can be a turnoff for me (ack..I think contextually this applies more to a romance/life partner), but then I'm also one who is really big on getting out and experiencing new things. To try to be close to someone who was not? Well, at the end of the day half of myself wouldn't be fulfilled. Experiences are part of what I consider a rich life, but then, this of course is just my personal value system & definition of 'rich life'. Sure, these Interesting Minds who stay home all day might be fascinating to talk to, and I would gain something from that mental stimulation/connection, but it's not the end all be all for me. On the other hand, someone who just tacks off experiences without having anything percolating up in their brain, well, that's not good either.