• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental comas

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was curious if anyone else experienced this, but I feel like I seem to have mental comas where everything feels like it has shut down completely. I have no desire to be around anyone nor can I communicate with people like I would usually do, and I would mostly prefer to just lay on the couch watching mindless secular propaganda in a box and sleep for the next two weeks or year or so, it almost feels like I have to hibernate, and it seems to come and go randomly. I feel like a slug.

I wouldn't think it's being burned out, since I haven't really done much to cause me to burn out, and when I do need a rest after being busy it's usually only a day or a good night's sleep that will do the trick.

Does anyone else go through periods like this, and how are they like for you?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
well, i think they're more tired-related then random, but sometimes i get really exhausted of hearing my own thoughts. so i submerge myself in low-intensity physical sensations, like lying in a blanket and watching the weather channel or lying in bed listening to soft music and smelling the rain or laying in the grass and closing my eyes and feeling the sun on my skin and listening to the bugs chirp or lay on the warm cement of the driveway and smell the night air and watch the sky turn from blue to lavender to inky. usually an hour or so is good. usually i'll drift off into sleep at the end of it, just for a few minutes. then it's cool to let the thoughts rev back up again. it's cathartic.

it's kind of a self-induced coma... lol...

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
well, i think they're more tired-related then random, but sometimes i get really exhausted of hearing my own thoughts. so i submerge myself in low-intensity physical sensations, like lying in a blanket and watching the weather channel or lying in bed listening to soft music and smelling the rain or laying in the grass and closing my eyes and feeling the sun on my skin and listening to the bugs chirp or lay on the warm cement of the driveway and smell the night air and watch the sky turn from blue to lavender to inky. usually an hour or so is good. usually i'll drift off into sleep at the end of it, just for a few minutes. then it's cool to let the thoughts rev back up again. it's cathartic.

it's kind of a self-induced coma... lol...

That's how I usually am when I'm tired, but it last for days.

I think the worst episode was a couple years ago when I slept for 26 hours straight, then slept for the majority of the next four days afterward. I mumbled to people like a zombie, I couldn't function. It's so weird.

P

Phantonym

Yup. When the depression hits. Numbness. Can last for who knows how long and then...poof...it's apparently gone again.

Chloe

yes. often. i explain it in my case with 3 -> 9 in enneagram, but "depression" is also good word.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yup-yup, depression.

Ingrid in grids

I was curious if anyone else experienced this, but I feel like I seem to have mental comas where everything feels like it has shut down completely. I have no desire to be around anyone nor can I communicate with people like I would usually do, and I would mostly prefer to just lay on the couch watching mindless secular propaganda in a box and sleep for the next two weeks or year or so, it almost feels like I have to hibernate, and it seems to come and go randomly. I feel like a slug.

I wouldn't think it's being burned out, since I haven't really done much to cause me to burn out, and when I do need a rest after being busy it's usually only a day or a good night's sleep that will do the trick.

Totally. For me, that was the depression. Information of any sort seemed too much. Even watching TV, reading books, the newspaper and the internet were too overwhelming. I would have slept eternally if I could. I spent a lot of time lying down staring at nothing.

I went through 'shut down' periods like that before I got depression too, but they were never as severe.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, depression would make sense for that really long episode I had, I don't really remember being depressed though, maybe I was just supressing it.

I need to get over it soon, because I have a lot of shit to do, but I seem to not be able to comprehend how much, or why I should even do anything. I prefer my dreams anyway, they take me to much more interesting places than this black hole of despair of a town could ever provide. I need to not be 7w8 to live here.

rav3n

Not to the depth you've experienced but yes, I've needed downtime when exhausted.

Think back to the other times this happened to you, to figure out what triggers these episodes, as well as what snapped you out of them.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not to the depth you've experienced but yes, I've needed downtime when exhausted.

Think back to the other times this happened to you, to figure out what triggers these episodes, as well as what snapped you out of them.

I've noticed that most of the times this has happened was an increased amount of boredom in my life and how I felt that I had to go do something somewhere else to kill said boredom. I usually do incredibly impulsive things, like travel really far away and do something, going to amusement parks, breaking rules etc. but I know once it's over, it's back to my hum-drum life. Hell, I climbed down a castle in Wales, best feeling ever. And when I was in London was under red alert a couple years ago, I was scared, but I felt exhilarated, very alive...but the feeling that I had to return back home and live out day to day routines for God knows how long, I guess I just became really depressed and hoped sleeping would take me back to where I wanted to be, my life of adventure and being in semi-dangerous situations...I fear that with my impulsive attitude and less and less things to bring me out of boredom, I might turn to extreme drugs or whatever. That's usually the cycle of my life.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. Probably common in ENxPs. Introverted extroverts and all that.