User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Trying to forget

Do you ever experience any memories you really wish you could forget? Maybe not even something particularly traumatic but just cringe worthy from when you where growing up and wherent so smart? Or perhaps its not even an unpleasant memory really, just a dumb one or you want to forget it because those people and places are gone?

If you do and you would like to forget is there anything you can do to try and cause that to happen do you think? Self-hypnosis? Auto-suggestion? Convincing yourself its a phony memory or even a fictional account from a book which you recalled accidentially as a scrap of biography? Does anything work or is it just something you're stuck with for good?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ugh.... yeah, I've got a few memories like that. I think we're just stuck with them.

I just try to look at them as learning experiences.... whether they were those cringe-worthy, stupid things I did when I Was growing up, or whether it is a more painful/sad memory. They all helped make me who I am today. Given the chance, I'm not sure I would choose to forget them... maybe, maybe not.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I am reminded of them all the time, and some are really terrible. But there's nothing to do about it other than cringe and move on.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Sometimes I try to figure out why an old memory like that popped up. Usually there is some connection to what is going on now.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

If you do and you would like to forget is there anything you can do to try and cause that to happen do you think? Self-hypnosis? Auto-suggestion? Convincing yourself its a phony memory or even a fictional account from a book which you recalled accidentially as a scrap of biography? Does anything work or is it just something you're stuck with for good?
    Yeah, I've had my fair share of bad memories, traumatic ones, too. But now I've forgotten most, if not all of them. And here's my trick:

Isolate yourself. Do nothing. Let your mind wander as much as it wants for as long as it wants. Inevitably, these traumatic memories will rise to the surface. You'll relive them, but don't EVER run away from them. Let yourself think about them and remember them. Let your brain and memories air out. Remember, remember, and remember. Every last fucking detail. If you can talk to people about it or have people like that in your life, great. Do it - talk and be open with anyone and everyone who's even willing to give you a minute of their time. If this is not possible, make up people in your mind, flesh them out, give them voices, and a fashionable wardrobe. Talk to them instead, they're usually better at listening than real people anyway. (Ref. to Schizophrenia thread) But above all, let yourself relive it over and over again and don't ever try to push it away. Remember and relive them until you exhaust the demon inside you that's forcing you to remember. Outlast it. Like Ali vs. Foreman. Or Lesnar vs. Carwin.

And don't ever quit.

Then one day, when you don't notice it, the demon will give up and leave you alone forever. And you've won.

This method's tougher than most, but it's damn thorough.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the act of trying to forget just makes you concentrate on it in the back of your mind... just go with it
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFP

Forgetting means to cease remembering. It's not something you do, it's something you stop doing.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

You suggest the thread should be titled "How to Stop Remembering"?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Mostly embarassing memories that make me want to hit myself really hard.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    You suggest the thread should be titled "How to Stop Remembering"?
    No, I am suggesting that the first poster needs to simply allow what he wishes to forget to cease existing anywhere in his mind. That is what forgetting actually is. Pushing the thoughts off somewhere else in your mind or covering them up with something else is not really forgetting them.