User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 53

  1. #41
    Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

    That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.

    It is your right to be sceptical and believe in this way but I would caution that looking for absence of significant numbers should not preclude a trait's existence. Looking at degrees of talent in this would be more appropriate. Perhaps our feelings of deja vu that many experience are a lesser demonstration of this trait???

    Life is not black or white - there are varying shades of grey in-between, and perhaps only the most talented in this area might share a trait at the level where it is functional??? And they may also just as likely have lost or downplayed some other trait in its stead - not unlike functions in type theory??

    Not specifically related to just this posited talent but interesting nevertheless:

    ...Albert Galaburda had been carrying out micro-anatomical studies of the brains of dyslexics. After detailed examination of several cases, Galaburda describes the role of microscopic lesions (areas of damage or diminished growth) and the unusual symmetry of certain formations (the "planum temporale") that had been observed in all dyslexic brains up to that time. Although the cases have been few in number, the results are seen as highly significant, because the probabiity of such consistent results would be very low.

    Galabunda observes that the lesions may be capable of suppressing the development of some areas, but he suggests a role for them in actually increasing the development of other areas. This research suggests a biological basis for the frequent paradoxical coexistence of special abilities and disabilities in the same individual.

    from In the Mind's Eye Visual Thinkers, Gifted People With Dyslexia and Other Learning Difficulties, Computer Images and the Ironies of Creativity
    by Thomas West
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

    "Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

  2. #42
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    My mother has done this sort of thing several times. She once had a dream in which her father said 'Joyce, come here, I need you'. When she called, he had just been admitted to the hospital. My sister had a dream where my father told her 'Don't worry, everything will be alright'. He died suddenly the next day.
    I can't put these events in the catagory of random chance. There is something going on here that cannot be rationally explained.


    Inception!

  3. #43
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    I think the real question is.. why did the police investigate the area in the first place? Wtih a total lack of evidence, shouldn't they have just ignored her?

  4. #44
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    "Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?" - Jay Leno
    Because they are so altruistic they do not want to exploit their powers for selfish gain!

    Geeesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Inception!
    They're all just dreaming they woke up.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #45
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Seriously, nobody on this thread has had a precognition or a message??

  6. #46
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I'd say bogus.

    Psychics say stuff all the time, every day, many thousands of people. There are bound to arise some coincidences in which people will immidiatly fall in line and say "OMG, it's REALLLLLL!".
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  7. #47
    Epiphany
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I'd say bogus.

    Psychics say stuff all the time, every day, many thousands of people. There are bound to arise some coincidences in which people will immidiatly fall in line and say "OMG, it's REALLLLLL!".
    I disagree. Just because someone claims to be a psychic doesn't mean they have any supernatural ability. Some people are good at reading other's behaviors and making generalized predictions that are perceived as accurate foresight; but in a situation like this, I think it's just as absurd to assume that it's a coincidence as it is to ignore the possibility of her involvement in the crime. All avenues should be considered before chalking it up to chance.

  8. #48
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

    That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.
    Try J.B. Rhine's experiments, particularly the ones making use of Zener cards in fully or partially controlled conditions. Certain subjects (and only certain subjects) consistently displayed results over a period of time that were considerably above what would have been expected by chance, and implied some form of precognition not in absolute terms, but at a remarkably high degree of statistical significance. Also, if I remember rightly, there were experiments with hypnotised subjects which displayed statistically significant results in favour of precognition, when the same subject unhypnotised did not achieve significant results.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  9. #49
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    dream dimension overlaying the material one?

    Very strange coincidence?

    Ni?

    Reptilians?

    It's always the Reptilians...

    There is a TV show here in NZ where "psychics" grub around in the bushes looking for bodies every week, they never find any and I assume there are hundreds or thousands of similar fraudsters out there, eventually one of them was going to stumble on to something out of chance.

    The fact that the cops actually searched the area leads me to think that perhaps there were limited suitable places for hiding a body in the area anyway (or maybe she just stumbled onto the same thought process as whoever dumped the body).
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  10. #50
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    I disagree. Just because someone claims to be a psychic doesn't mean they have any supernatural ability. Some people are good at reading other's behaviors and making generalized predictions that are perceived as accurate foresight; but in a situation like this, I think it's just as absurd to assume that it's a coincidence as it is to ignore the possibility of her involvement in the crime. All avenues should be considered before chalking it up to chance.
    Absurd to assume it's a coincidence?

    No avenues can be considered because there is not a single shred of hard evidence pointing in any direction. So unless evidence surfaces to prove differently, thinking it's a coincidence is a good idea as any.


    Now, if I was on the police force on this particular case. Then I would feel compelled to at least try to turn up any leaf I can think off to see what evidence I could find. And that should be the drive of the officers on the case as well. (After all, with no evidence, anything is possible, and the possibility the women is somehow involved in murder is not something that should be overlooked).

    But from my current point of view, sitting behind my desk, with my hands tied unable to do anything with this particular case. I think I do better with chalking it up to it being a coincidence than believing it could be anything else.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Similar Threads

  1. Interested in Discovering Interpretations of My Type.
    By Assumed Identity in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
  2. French Woman kills 6 of her own newborns...
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO