• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Woman Discovers Location of Corpse In Her Dream

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.

It is your right to be sceptical and believe in this way :cheese: but I would caution that looking for absence of significant numbers should not preclude a trait's existence. Looking at degrees of talent in this would be more appropriate. Perhaps our feelings of deja vu that many experience are a lesser demonstration of this trait???

Life is not black or white - there are varying shades of grey in-between, and perhaps only the most talented in this area might share a trait at the level where it is functional??? And they may also just as likely have lost or downplayed some other trait in its stead - not unlike functions in type theory??

Not specifically related to just this posited talent but interesting nevertheless:

...Albert Galaburda had been carrying out micro-anatomical studies of the brains of dyslexics. After detailed examination of several cases, Galaburda describes the role of microscopic lesions (areas of damage or diminished growth) and the unusual symmetry of certain formations (the "planum temporale") that had been observed in all dyslexic brains up to that time. Although the cases have been few in number, the results are seen as highly significant, because the probabiity of such consistent results would be very low.

Galabunda observes that the lesions may be capable of suppressing the development of some areas, but he suggests a role for them in actually increasing the development of other areas. This research suggests a biological basis for the frequent paradoxical coexistence of special abilities and disabilities in the same individual.

from In the Mind's Eye Visual Thinkers, Gifted People With Dyslexia and Other Learning Difficulties, Computer Images and the Ironies of Creativity
by Thomas West

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My mother has done this sort of thing several times. She once had a dream in which her father said 'Joyce, come here, I need you'. When she called, he had just been admitted to the hospital. My sister had a dream where my father told her 'Don't worry, everything will be alright'. He died suddenly the next day.
I can't put these events in the catagory of random chance. There is something going on here that cannot be rationally explained.

Inception!

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think the real question is.. why did the police investigate the area in the first place? Wtih a total lack of evidence, shouldn't they have just ignored her?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously, nobody on this thread has had a precognition or a message??

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say bogus.

Psychics say stuff all the time, every day, many thousands of people. There are bound to arise some coincidences in which people will immidiatly fall in line and say "OMG, it's REALLLLLL!".

E

Epiphany

I'd say bogus.

Psychics say stuff all the time, every day, many thousands of people. There are bound to arise some coincidences in which people will immidiatly fall in line and say "OMG, it's REALLLLLL!".

I disagree. Just because someone claims to be a psychic doesn't mean they have any supernatural ability. Some people are good at reading other's behaviors and making generalized predictions that are perceived as accurate foresight; but in a situation like this, I think it's just as absurd to assume that it's a coincidence as it is to ignore the possibility of her involvement in the crime. All avenues should be considered before chalking it up to chance.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.

Try J.B. Rhine's experiments, particularly the ones making use of Zener cards in fully or partially controlled conditions. Certain subjects (and only certain subjects) consistently displayed results over a period of time that were considerably above what would have been expected by chance, and implied some form of precognition not in absolute terms, but at a remarkably high degree of statistical significance. Also, if I remember rightly, there were experiments with hypnotised subjects which displayed statistically significant results in favour of precognition, when the same subject unhypnotised did not achieve significant results.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
dream dimension overlaying the material one?

Very strange coincidence?

Ni?

Reptilians?

It's always the Reptilians...

There is a TV show here in NZ where "psychics" grub around in the bushes looking for bodies every week, they never find any and I assume there are hundreds or thousands of similar fraudsters out there, eventually one of them was going to stumble on to something out of chance.

The fact that the cops actually searched the area leads me to think that perhaps there were limited suitable places for hiding a body in the area anyway (or maybe she just stumbled onto the same thought process as whoever dumped the body).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I disagree. Just because someone claims to be a psychic doesn't mean they have any supernatural ability. Some people are good at reading other's behaviors and making generalized predictions that are perceived as accurate foresight; but in a situation like this, I think it's just as absurd to assume that it's a coincidence as it is to ignore the possibility of her involvement in the crime. All avenues should be considered before chalking it up to chance.

Absurd to assume it's a coincidence?

No avenues can be considered because there is not a single shred of hard evidence pointing in any direction. So unless evidence surfaces to prove differently, thinking it's a coincidence is a good idea as any.

Now, if I was on the police force on this particular case. Then I would feel compelled to at least try to turn up any leaf I can think off to see what evidence I could find. And that should be the drive of the officers on the case as well. (After all, with no evidence, anything is possible, and the possibility the women is somehow involved in murder is not something that should be overlooked).

But from my current point of view, sitting behind my desk, with my hands tied unable to do anything with this particular case. I think I do better with chalking it up to it being a coincidence than believing it could be anything else.

E

Epiphany

"Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?" - Jay Leno

I was watching Paranormal Activity earlier and they asked this question. I've never given it much thought, but even if a psychic did have the power to foresee winning lottery numbers, he/she would have to find a way to replicate a winning ticket. Simply knowing the numbers won't win any money. If a person has the ability to counterfeit a winning ticket, then why would they need psychic ability? They could just wait until the numbers were revealed.

I think people are confusing what is regarded as psychic power with omniscience. Admittedly, I haven't done any research on this subject, but I doubt that psychics are claiming to know all things pertaining to the future. And as far as I know, the woman in the OP doesn't even claim to be a psychic.