User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Dreams just filter what we've experienced in the day. It's possible her subconscious mind just crunched some numbers or the area that was searched was a somewhat obvious location for dumped bodies.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Seriously, guys, it's one woman and a lucky coincidence. If there were stories of people everywhere digging up dead bodies because they dreamt them I would be intrigued, but the idea that one woman had a dream that lead to a body being dug up is well within plausibility. This is an excellent example of our tendency to count the hits and ignore the misses---people have dreams in which they see dead bodies all the time, and except for this instance, they were probably all false. But, of course, the media doesn't provide coverage of those stories, so we tend to only think about these sorts of "psychic" incidences in the rare moments that chance lines up in just the right way to produce an uncanny outcome, at which point the media throws a frenzy.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    This is an excellent example of our tendency to count the hits and ignore the misses---people have dreams in which they see dead bodies all the time, and except for this instance, they were probably all false.
    Really? I've never had a dream about dead bodies.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    Really? I've never had a dream about dead bodies.
    Good for you.

Epiphany

Good for you.
    Have you?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    Have you?
    Not that I can recall. The vast majority of the dreams we experience go completely unrecalled. But if you're going to take everything I said and focus on the aspect that you personally have not had a dream about finding a dead body then discussing the matter with you further is not really going to be worth my time.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

OK let's hypothesise here. Let us say that time is not linear (as many leading physicists now claim), and that all events leave a photographic-like imprint in waveform at sub-atomic level.

Let us also hypothesise that some people have a higher sensitivity to changes in these subatomic waves. Now let us look at the fact that, although the majority of people do not have that ability (somewhat like Sensing vs iNtuition) and that, not unlike de Bono's Hats exercise to supposedly make all people think laterally when all it does is partly explain how a natural lateral thinker thinks, the majority who don't have these skills have an incorrect perception of the skills. If we then extrapolate that to take into account that, like iNtuition, this ability has varying levels of strength.

Remember that this is a hypothesis and would not be considered fact until proven - which I expect it to eventually be.

How then can you categorically deny the possibility??
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Epiphany

Not that I can recall. The vast majority of the dreams we experience go completely unrecalled. But if you're going to take everything I said and focus on the aspect that you personally have not had a dream about finding a dead body then discussing the matter with you further is not really going to be worth my time.
    This was your entire post. The underlined part is in reference to other people who have dreams of dead bodies.

Seriously, guys, it's one woman and a lucky coincidence. If there were stories of people everywhere digging up dead bodies because they dreamt them I would be intrigued, but the idea that one woman had a dream that lead to a body being dug up is well within plausibility. This is an excellent example of our tendency to count the hits and ignore the misses---people have dreams in which they see dead bodies all the time, and except for this instance, they were probably all false. But, of course, the media doesn't provide coverage of those stories, so we tend to only think about these sorts of "psychic" incidences in the rare moments that chance lines up in just the right way to produce an uncanny outcome, at which point the media throws a frenzy.
    Anytime somebody makes a point to assert something, such as "Seriously, guys, it's one woman and a lucky coincidence" when there is no evidence to support your theory that it was simply a coincidence, I feel obligated to refute it. Then you claimed that lots of people have dreams of dead people and the media doesn't cover it. I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion that lots of people have dreams of dead bodies if you, yourself, don't recall having a dream about a dead body. If lots of people do, in fact, have dreams about dead bodies, but they forget the dreams, then how could we possibly know if their dreams were accurate? I'm not sure why you seemed to take offense to my post. I was simply replying to the premise of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Remember that this is a hypothesis and would not be considered fact until proven - which I expect it to eventually be.

Exactly! I don't understand people who try to limit possibilities without any evidence to do so.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.

Epiphany

I am not "deny[ing] the possibility", I am merely withholding belief in the proposition until I start seeing some evidence that people are actually capable of precognition. I do not think that it is impossible for people to see the future. I merely think it is highly unlikely. So until I start seeing some statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers, I see no reason to give credence to the odd incident here or there that resembles on the surface some sort of precognitive capacity.

That aside, I do find the statement you put forth intriguing, but I'll wait until your hypothesis is tested by people more capable than I to believe it or not.
    But you did deny the possibility when you declared that it was merely a coincidence and now you are backtracking. I'm curious what kind of evidence you are looking for when you dimiss an instance such as this as nothing more than a coincidence. Even if some people do have psychic powers to some extent, why would you assume that those powers could necessarily be harnessed and replicated within a laboratory in front of scientists to observe? If this woman's dream was legitimate and she had no involvement in the crime, she most likely did not give herself this dream, nor was it a conscious decision. Somehow, her mind tapped into that. Furthermore, you said that you are looking for "statistically significant evidence that people are telling the future in unprecedented numbers." I find this view quite narrowminded. Are you suggesting that if it doesn't happen frequently in large numbers, then it's not worth investigating or taking into consideration? I've made no assertions regarding this incident. I've merely asked questions.