User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Cool Chemical Castration drug used to treat Autism

Castration Drug Used as Autism Therapy - latimes.com

I was shocked to read this - no, horrified would be a better description - what say you?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

It's hard to say without reading other sources, but this does sound awful. It shouldn't make a difference as long as people are smart enough not to use something that can have some seriously bad side effects. But yeah, this disturbs me.

your resident asshole

This is just sad, especially...

But numerous physicians, researchers and therapists insist there's no proof mercury causes autism, that Lupron removes mercury or that autistic kids have excessive testosterone. What's more, the drug carries a risk of bone damage, stunted growth and heart trouble, and can render children impotent.
    I hope that most parents of children with autism are smart enough not to do this to their child.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

People have got to be on crack.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I have two autistic kids myself and I am beyond horrified by this! I can understand the parent's fears, but these parents have let their fears go out of control and their kids are suffering for it. My heart breaks for those poor children.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

Interesting strategy - stopping autism by stopping autistics from reproducing. Oh wait...just kidding ;P.

MBTI
    INTP

I certainly can't see this treatment catching on, at least not in this century, but you never know.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

considering autism has possibly EVOLVED FOR US as the human species has higher and higher demands for technical/abstract abilities in our division of labor, this is incredibly stupid and yes, horrific.

EDIT: oh wait.... its not a eugenics based treatment.... they think its the mercury. That's a little different....

might as well try it and then they can learn that its not the Hg that's doing this.
    Last edited by nozflubber; 08-16-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: asdf

MBTI
    INTP

Some say its the vaccines, some say its the devil. Some people require more evidence than others, I suppose.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

This is a digusting practice.

Who invented this therapy?

I think that it treats every chronic condition they have, and that they should be put on it immediately.

In fact, if appointed the world's benevolent dictator one of my first official decrees would be to put the idiot(s) that came up with thie "therapy" on it (or it's equivalent if a female researcher) because it reeks of dishonesty.

What is the difference between an Ox and a Bull?
    If you get into the pen of a bull, the bull will run you down and kill you.
    If you get into the pen of an ox, the ox will look at you and chew grass while you run around.

The other main difference between an ox and a bull is that to make an ox, you castrate a bull. :horor:

Yup, there is no therapeutic effect being exhibited in these children, they are simply being turned into eunuchs with no drive. That is very, very sad. What if their testosterone gave them the drive they needed to continue participating in other therapies that indeed would eventually lead to a breakthrough in their behaviors - permanently AND harmlessly?

Halla is very angry right now.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro