123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Default Types and the flow

What do you say, would some type be more prone to have the flow experience than some other type?

I have a thought that a flow would be more important to people with strong preference to Ne. Any comments?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have no way of knowing how others experience it but i do all the time. i call it being in the zone too totally zoomed in and focused but it's effortless...like surfing.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I have felt that way in sports, running, art, design, sometimes with work tasks or like writing an essay, and sometimes with things like yardwork or housework. It's not a super common experience, though.

I can't imagine how it would be type-related though...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that some types are more interested in it than others. I am really interested in flow, the concept fascinates me.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    What do you say, would some type be more prone to have the flow experience than some other type?

I have a thought that a flow would be more important to people with strong preference to Ne. Any comments?
    I think all types can experience this at any given time. But as Csíkszentmihályi say some types will probably experience it more often.

If you look at his graph I would experience control and relaxation more times than flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i have no way of knowing how others experience it but i do all the time. i call it being in the zone too totally zoomed in and focused but it's effortless...like surfing.
    Sure thats not what Csíkszentmihályi means as control and relaxation?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i'm not sure...no...what do you mean? i'm not understanding what he means by flow?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

i'm not sure...no...what do you mean? i'm not understanding what he means by flow?
    Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity.

Part of his theory is that you can enter flow by following the conditions.

1. One must be involved in an activity with a clear set of goals. This adds direction and structure to the task.[8]
    2. One must have a good balance between the perceived challenges of the task at hand and his or her own perceived skills. One must have confidence that he or she is capable to do the task at hand.[8]
    3. The task at hand must have clear and immediate feedback. This helps the person negotiate any changing demands and allows him or her to adjust his or her performance to maintain the flow state.[8]

You enter flow when the challenge and your skill level meet in the flow area.

Colloquial terms for this or similar mental states include: to be on the ball, in the zone, in the groove, or keeping your head in the game.

But it isn't necessarily a feeling of effortless. More defined by a loss of self and a clean feedback loop. You are one with the environment.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah...that's how i understand it too...was just asking slowriot what he meant...he seemed to be asking me if i meant something else...but...no.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I can slip into the flow naturally when my mind and body are in tune and I have adequate energy. it really is like surfing like lady x said.

when I'm tired or upset I can be extremely apathetic. that's kind of the opposite, apparently.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

yeah...that's how i understand it too...was just asking slowriot what he meant...he seemed to be asking me if i meant something else...but...no.
    I think he was saying that the challenge is low in the situation you described. So it would be relaxation.