User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Types and the flow

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I think it could well be an Se thing. I physically cannot get there. It's very frustrating. I've glimpsed it, but as soon as I become aware I become self-conscious. I can't seem to switch off that continuous internal dialogue/self-monitoring for a second to really focus and be in the moment. My consciousness is always split into at least 2, sometimes more. The doer and the observer and the observer of the observer, and the idle day-dreamer who catches all the cycles in between. This inability to attend is what makes Ns so clumsy and useless at stuff, I think. Once I've achieved a level of skill to make something feel effortless, I am immediately bored by it and therefore disengage.
    For me, flow is more of a mental experience with physical manifestations in the manner of any strong feeling. Your remark about split consciousness got me to thinking. I think part of what makes flow for me is the coming together of all parts of my consciousness in the experience. My entire being becomes focused on that one thing. The experience is not effortless, sometimes it requires much sustained effort, but in real flow, the resources, knowledge, and ability are all there, I have "luck" and the effort produces great results. I can almost feel the various energies involved flowing through me, and I have to remain focused and engaged in that extended present moment to keep it all together until the goal is reached, or the activity is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopelandic View Post
    I like being in a state of flow; because it seems like an intense state of harmony for me. I'm introverted, so it's like I finally exist somewhere between the outside and inside... i'm not trapped in my head... I flow between the inside and outside. There's no loss of energy... I run off energy; energy surrounds me, and flows within me.
    Something like this.

Sounds like Se to me:

'This occurs because all of the attention of the person in the flow state is on the task at hand; there is no more attention to be allocated.'[6]

I don't recall ever being in a flow. If so, I didn't know what it was so I couldn't call it that. If the above is a major requirement I could easily say that I don't think I have ever been in a flow. I would say that Ne could possibly be the opposite of 'the flow' because it does not focus on one thing, but several which divides the amount of attention you can give to each thought.