User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Starting/responding to threads.

I recently noticed something about myself. I tend to write fairly good replies to threads, but I rarely start my own threads. For some reason, I usually draw a blank when trying to come up with something on my own, but if someone just gives me a topic, an idea, or a situation, I can almost always come up with something relevant. The things I usually think about posting, I usually worry have been talked about in other threads, or would only want to post in the Fluff Zone.

I'm wondering what this is related to. It doesn't seem like Extraverts create more threads that Introverts, so it isn't that. I've also seen no lack of threads created by S's, so it's not that either. Could it be some kind of individual creativity thing? If so, what?

In other words, why do I (and some other people) seem to reply to other people's threads more often than I start them myself? What is it that causes certain other people to be more inclined to start threads?

(And I'm aware of the irony in actually starting a thread to talk about this.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i'm exactly the same way.

i'm a really self-conscious person, and i don't want my idea for a thread to be rejected/ignored. so i won't start one unless i know it's really good.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't like starting threads because I feel like it has to be a "worthwhile" thread and if nobody replies I feel like I've wasted everyone else's time and space, which has happened more often than not in the past.

Or maybe I just don't have anything to say.

MBTI
    INFJ

Hi Athenian,

Perhaps this relates. An ENTP friend was running for School Board and asked me to help him write his platform. He said it didn't really matter what I wrote, as long as there was a lot of it and it addressed each point. He could take it from there, editing and amending as necessary. But he couldn't start it himself.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

In other words, why do I (and some other people) seem to reply to other people's threads more often than I start them myself? What is it that causes certain other people to be more inclined to start threads?
    I don't think it has much to do with creativity. I think that you are extremely knowledgeable about MBTI, so you rarely feel the need to ask questions. Being an INFJ, you will probably also not feel strongly compelled to make others follow your lead.

On the other hand, you give excellent advice to anybody who posts a question here, which is precisely what I guess you are also doing in your real life. I have no idea about your professional background, but I think you would make a great counsellor. For myself, I can say I would feel perfectly at ease to come to you and ask for your advice when I were to have a problem. Does that make any sense for you ?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I start threads because I come up with an idea or I have something I really want somebody else to read. But I'm like that in real life too. I start conversations. Could it be because my primary Ne?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I don't start many threads because I don't want to confirm that I'm really as stupid/weird as I think I am. But I'm being neurotic.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I start threads because I come up with an idea or I have something I really want somebody else to read. But I'm like that in real life too. I start conversations. Could it be because my primary Ne?

This underlined part is me too, but only on internet life. In real life I am pretty much a little mouse.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by developer View Post
    I don't think it has much to do with creativity. I think that you are extremely knowledgeable about MBTI, so you rarely feel the need to ask questions. Being an INFJ, you will probably also not feel strongly compelled to make others follow your lead.
    Yes, I think that's it... I usually end up trying to answer other people's questions or defining the limits of what we know about it, or what the standard interpretations are so that I can explain how we've moved from them, etc. Often I don't post until I think I've made an unusual insight, and too often it's in another thread because I didn't see it until I saw someone else's situation, and don't really want to repost it elsewhere because it seems wasteful or persnickety somehow.
    On the other hand, you give excellent advice to anybody who posts a question here, which is precisely what I guess you are also doing in your real life. I have no idea about your professional background, but I think you would make a great counsellor. For myself, I can say I would feel perfectly at ease to come to you and ask for your advice when I were to have a problem. Does that make any sense for you ?
    I've always wanted to be a counselor. I've never actually had a job, though. Yes, I'm glad to hear that... it sounds like me.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I recently noticed something about myself. I tend to write fairly good replies to threads, but I rarely start my own threads.
    I'm the same too. I can reply to threads all over a board, but I rarely start one myself.

Why? Frankly, the only reason I can come up with for now is: because my thoughts are my thoughts, and it just doesn't occur to me to share them with others *uninvited*. I'm not sure why I feel that way, I just do