• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

On Enthusiasm! w00t!!!!!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Enthusiasm! :yay:

What naturally causes you to get enthusiastic?

Do you believe you get better results when you're enthusiastic?

How do you bring it into your life/job/home/etc if it isn't there?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't like enthusiasm...it makes me feel disconnected. Sorry to start your thread off like that. :p

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Crowds. Being infront of people. Performing

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Ideas! Theories I can turn into plans or experiments. Projects! Adventures. Anything new! Great results.

Not always. But it helps, especially in the take-off phase of any project. And it's a good way to engage and sell your idea to other people. I can't really sell anything I don't believe in.

Yes! I try.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I get better results when I'm mellow.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People :) but not always. Enthusiam and good mood swings make slaving away for no money and (quite literally in some cases no reason) somewhat bearable :D

hang on, better results?? yeah of course. One of the most important things is that you get started, because once you've started it's easy to keep going, that's where procrastination comes from right??

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

YES!!!! :bananallama:

I am entheusiasm incarnate. I'm not kidding. I am always in a good mood. I am always ready to look adversity in the face and make things happen, no matter what. It is just part of who I am. Some say that is one aspect of ADHD personality types, we're always in a good mood, always creative, always positive, so the entheusiasm is likely an extension of that, methinks.

So, what causes me to get enthusiastic?

NOTHING yet EVERYTHING! I cause enthusiasm to manifest wherever I mgiht be.

Interesting question.

I do not believe that a happy idiot working as a carpenter will get better results working a power saw than a grumpy idiot working a power saw. I think both idiots will do their best because of the real and present danger that they will lose a finger or two if they don't do things correctly. So, in this example MOOD is independent of PERFORMANCE, and if anything FEAR is the MOTIVATOR of PERFORMANCE.

Now let's talk about idiots in an office environment. You have a team of idiots. They must INTERACT with one and other because no single idiot on the team knows all there is to know to solve the objectives of the project. People INTERACT more when there is ENTHEUSIASM about the work at hand, and in the air in general. So long as they are staying on topic it is the QUANTITY of INTERACTION that will drive the AMOUNT of work in this group of idiots. If you are lucky, you have one perosn who knows what they are doing LEADING the group of idiots, and they are setting up the draft work plan, and herding the idiots along to extract the needed information as the idiots INTERACT with one and other.

So, entheusiasm CAN lead to better results, but is not a prerequisite for optimizing performance in all cases.

As I said before, I am the source of my own entheusiasm, so my presence is going to increase the amount of entheusiasm wherever I am. Wherever there is a differential of entheusiasm (Me VS My Environment) my environment begins to become effected by me, the jovial gregarious extravert from hell.

Thankfully I have some common sense, not much, but some. :cheese:
I can usually figure out pretty quickly if my locale is cool with me perking it up, or if it is going to make things worse. If it's a doomy gloomy roomy, I interact with who I need to to get what I need done, and bid them farewell as I leave the room.

Alos, you're talking to an ESTP 7w8 sx/so who is married to an INFJ 1w9 sp/sx. For the majority of our 16 years together I have been the one in the more entheusiastic mood. There are times when I have tried to "fix" Mrs. Halla's lack of entheusiasm, and she has become angered by me doing so. If it is something that she needs to work through, I simply give her a hug, a kiss, and tell her to come to me if she needs anything at all. Then I retreat to my man cave or go bonkers with the kids in the family room. :woot: :yay: :moonwalk:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
:shock:

Hmm, when I get excited about some shiny new topic of interest or piece of information, or when one of my interests are being discussed, I can get a bit excited. My feet go pitter-patter!

One thing that's funny, is I'm very much immune to being pushed around by the enthusiasm of other people, especially if I feel like it's manufactured. I remember when I played american football, the coaches and captains would try to rile everybody up into a frenzy and I'm just standing there thinking, "What the hell is wrong with these people." Sometimes, I even find myself deflating others' enthusiasm balloons when they're too excited!

I'm weird.

Actually, I don't. Usually if I sense I'm a bit over excited I'll try to dial it back because I don't think I make good decisions when I'm that excited about something. I feel like I need to step back and pump the brakes, stabilize my mind until I'm ready to approach with a cool head.

I think it's tough for me to manufacture enthusiasm out of nowhere. Probably one of the reasons I'm such a bad self-motivator. But, since I don't necessarily think I need enthusiasm, I don't really think about trying to add it into my life.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Very little. I get enthusiastic with the prospect of going to see my favorite band in concert, or there's some kick ass videogame or movie coming out. Basically art.

Definitely. It's a very very rare feeling for me though. You could say that I even get smarter when enthusiastic.

Music can serve as a catalyzer. Or just lose all inhibition and start Ne machine gunning till they give me the o_O look. After a while they get into it and we all descend into madness together.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember when I played american football, the coaches and captains would try to rile everybody up into a frenzy and I'm just standing there thinking, "What the hell is wrong with these people."
LOL. I find myself thinking that all the time. I can't watch any kind of show with an audience now because all that mad noise and applause makes me soooo irritated. Show some fucking discrimination people!

I can't remember the last time I felt enthusiastic about anything.

I have to work myself up just to feel apathetic.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

WOOOOOO! I mean, people who are enthusiastic. People I know who tends to be enthusiastic, tend to be contagious (in a good way.)

Music can get me enthusiastic.

I usually get better results when I'm calm. Too much enthusiasm might make it worse. Not a bad thing though.

Get people worked up.
Do something fun.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At work, it's all about the quality of interaction. I can do without it, but if someone brings me into the circle and talks to me and they're appreciative, my drive kicks in to compete with myself, to see if I can do even better.

Also if I see that the people I'm orchestrating are falling into the same groove, competing with themselves to do their best, that makes me very excited.

So I guess it's seeing positive interaction bring better results, seeing everyone feel good about the job they did and understanding how it contributed to the whole.

I can live fine without any recognition from the top down to me, but I can't live with the folks I delegate to being unhappy, so if there is not enthusiasm, I make some, but it's mostly not enthusiasm, it's strength of commitment. I motivate them to commit to the project and praise them as I see them exhibiting that, and it works, and the cycle of happy starts to flow.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Marching bands. That sounds so obvious but I freak out with happy energies EVERY TIME.

When I get a clear idea of what I want to do on a new project and I can picture how to get it done from beginning to end without those fuzzy holes in planning.

Singing out loud in the car or lip syncing to my favorite songs in the mirror. It just gets me going and feeling like a rock star.

Performing improvisational theater and making crowds laugh. Performing in general.

A new story idea that grabs me and starts painting itself inside my head really vividly.

P

Phantonym

:dry:

I don't really get enthusiastic that much. However, it has been known to happen. :laugh: Having a definite focus on something, knowing what exactly is needed to get to the end result, knowing that all I have to do is play around with the pieces of the puzzle the way I like and things will fall into their place as I have envisioned. That's really something that gets me going, I like feeling the rush as if I'm speeding, but I also like knowing that things are under my control.

Edit: Oh, yeah, mooching off of other people's enthusiasm works as well.

Edit edit: Music!

Probably. When I feel good, getting things done is more enjoyable, or rather, the negative parts get more easily discarded so I won't be dwelling on them.

I don't. Well, it kind of feels forced if it's not happening on its own. So, I wait until I get into the mood. It'll get here, eventually.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
:happy2:

Most of the time I catch the enthusiasm from people with a lot of energy. Either that or I am annoyed at their enthusiasm. :D

I dunno about that, but I do know that enthusiasm makes me a happier person. :D

I don't. I just stay calm if there is no energy for me to feed off of. :p

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

:headphne::headphne::headphne:

A nice sunny sky with fresh weather, topping a mountain, trying to understand something really complex, extremely loud music, nice natural scenery, dancing while drunk. I'd say topping a mountain is what gives the highest enthusiastic feeling though. Also sometimes competition makes me enthusiastic but it's a bit of an antisocial enthusiasm, I don't necessarily like it.

I believe I perceive my results as better when I'm enthusiastic, although I don't think they're objectively better. An exception could be sports - however even in that case there's an optimal level of enthusiasm, too much will result in excessive effort during the early part of a performance.

I plan / do activities that I know will give me enthusiasm :D

One thing that's funny, is I'm very much immune to being pushed around by the enthusiasm of other people, especially if I feel like it's manufactured. I remember when I played american football, the coaches and captains would try to rile everybody up into a frenzy and I'm just standing there thinking, "What the hell is wrong with these people." Sometimes, I even find myself deflating others' enthusiasm balloons when they're too excited!

I truly dislike this setting, too, but you'll actually find that many people are just faking it...

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Haha, i'm thinking not everyone will appreciate this but....
Every morning i wake up and go into my kids room and wake them up by smiling and saying in a jolly voice
"Good morning my beautiful children, it's time to wake up"
It starts the day well, on a positive, and it does actually have a genuinely good effect on the household mood.

I'm one of those people who is happy most of the time, and usually have a smile on my face. It's genuine though and i am quite motivating to most who know me IRL, so it dosn't come across as annoying.
I tend to be more serious in the forums, but i'm often having a little chuckle reading some of the funny replies here.

I have a dark side too :devil: