User Tag List

First 12345 Last

It's not about being tough. It's about bringing awareness to another person.

ReflecTcelfeR

Then I'd say courageous is a better word to describe your situation.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I ignore racists. I have racist cousins amd I don't talk to them because of their racism. However, one of them is now on a journey around the world and jopefully it'll cure him. In that case I'll talk to him again in the first time in 8 years (I found out his ideas 8 year ago).
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i argue with them, or if they are retard nazi people who might want to beat me up(or stab) just because i have a long hair or i have to get along with them i just ignore their opinion(in this case i still might state my opinion)
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

It takes too much energy to care.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I usually confront or correct people, but if it's a member of my family and I can't change or avoid them, I will just try to ignore it passively. That way I'm not encouraging it but also not causing meaningless confrontation. Maybe some people would think it's wrong to ever let it slide, but I think it's ridiculous to keep confronting certain people who can't be avoided, like family members.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As an aside, I think one of the coolest weapons against racism within family that I've personally witnessed is when my nephew was ten or eleven years old and would chirp pleasantly with a sly smile, "Maw-maw is a racist!" when she said something stupid. I found it embarrassed her far more than an adult trying to either angrily confront her or naggingly correct her.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I feel this knee-jerk response to confront racist comments, though sometimes I know that subtle behavior is called for rather than something overt. I live in the South, so racism is a big subject here - my grandparents and parents taught us that racism and racist talk came from poorly bred people. Well bred people should never talk that way, they should always be courteous and kind. I grew up in a house where the black vs white thing never came up - all the blacks I knew were wonderful people. The first time I was confronted with a bunch of angry black kids ( whom I didn't know ), yelling racial slurs at me and my sister, and attempting to set my car on fire, I was completely stunned.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

When you're around racists, you need to simplify your vocabulary, speak loud, clearly, and very very slowly. It's important you use simple Kindergarten words (Most Racists didn't make it passed Kindergarten). Also, don't make jokes, use sarcasm, or make any references or allusions to outside things because they won't catch it and it might anger them.
    Last edited by Nonsensical; 08-02-2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    When you're around racists, you need to simplify your vocabulary, speak loud, clearly, and very very slowly. It's important you use simple Kindergarten words (Most Racists didn't make it past Kindergarten). Also, don't make jokes, use sarcasm, or make any references or allusions to outside things because they won't catch it and it might anger them.
    Wise instruction!

I would also add that you might want to bring a folding chair to sit in, and possibly some snacks for yourself, as the discourse with said racist could take a looooooong time.