• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NPs and Si

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am very interested in NPs and their own awareness or issues with Si. I think I have especially strong Si for an ENFP (to the point of strongly questioning being INFP, or even ESFJ at one point; the former is possible but not probable, the latter most probably not the case).

I was haunted by a feeling of needing to be "normal" or meet certain requirements to be "a real grown-up" as a young adult, and in times of great emotional stress I start to have thoughts like if I had certain external accomplishments as symbols of my "normality" that I would be happier. I talked to an SJ that said he feels a similar way!

I also have a long memory, love living in my memories at times (Fi/Si loop), am comforted by order (especially when other people create it, ha), and I'm sure there are other things I'm missing...I know in deeply unhealthy phases I've experienced the ENxP inferior Si tendency toward extreme anxiety and hypochondria.

Chloe

I was haunted by a feeling of needing to be "normal" or meet certain requirements to be "a real grown-up" as a young adult, and in times of great emotional stress I start to have thoughts like if I had certain external accomplishments as symbols of my "normality" that I would be happier. I talked to an SJ that said he feels a similar way!

i view the bolded as it could be also bc of image triad in enneagram. at least in me it is.

I also have a long memory, love living in my memories at times (Fi/Si loop), am comforted by order (especially when other people create it, ha), and I'm sure there are other things I'm missing...I know in deeply unhealthy phases I've experienced the ENxP inferior Si tendency toward extreme anxiety and hypochondria.

i have very poor memory, but expirience fi-si loop often, especially lately.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
i view the bolded as it could be also bc of image triad in enneagram. at least in me it is.

i have very poor memory, but expirience fi-si loop often, especially lately.

Is image triad 1 2 3? Because I'm a 4w3 and the SJ I was referring to is 9w1.

I thought it might have something to do with Si, though, since our collective past impressions gives us a sense of what is "normal." One example of Si I read about on-line is "a proper chair has four legs" which doesn't seem like a far cry from "a proper adult is married and has a two story house with a well-manicured yard."

Chloe

Is image triad 1 2 3? Because I'm a 4w3 and the SJ I was referring to is 9w1.

2,3,4 are image triad. SJs are also like that because they care about socially acceptable behavior.. but i care bc i am 3 and i can be prone to vanity or wanting to have confirmation for being succesful or "normal person". 3 has very SJ motivations

and w1 + SJ will have it too, bc of being SJ, and because 1s also know definition of normal and try to be that. but not because how they look to others,like 2,3,4, more to follow rules they learned are okay - to be good and perfect

I thought it might have something to do with Si, though, since our collective past impressions gives us a sense of what is "normal." One example of Si I read about on-line is "a proper chair has four legs" which doesn't seem like a far cry from "a proper adult is married and has a two story house with a well-manicured yard."

yeah but its different to want to be a proper adult for YOUR convictions than wanting to be proper adult so others see you as such and you dont LOOK bad

but it could be both Si and image triad.

anyway..i'm sure mine obsession with being acceptable and normal comes from e3. dont see 7s do that, fo ex.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Si in INTPs can make them seem very "stick-in-the-mud," unwilling to consider new information if it breaks the Ti-Si model of reality, and it will be defended by bad Fe if that model is attacked.

I've grown up around ISTJs and my gf is an ESTJ, so I've been exposed to the Si manner of looking at the world a lot. At times, it makes it easier for me to slip into that Si lense and will usually lead me mentally astray if I'm in that mode a lot. However, being around those that Si comes to naturally helps me deal with it myself, not to mention communication with Si users has become easier for me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Si in INTPs can make them seem very "stick-in-the-mud," unwilling to consider new information if it breaks the Ti-Si model of reality, and it will be defended by bad Fe if that model is attacked.

I've grown up around ISTJs and my gf is an ESTJ, so I've been exposed to the Si manner of looking at the world a lot. At times, it makes it easier for me to slip into that Si lense and will usually lead me mentally astray if I'm in that mode a lot. However, being around those that Si comes to naturally helps me deal with it myself, not to mention communication with Si users has become easier for me.

Yeah, I was raised by an ESFJ and an ISTJ and I'm wondering if that's why I seem to have a lot of Si for an ENFP, or if this is common in NPs in general. I also sometimes get this longing for wanting things to be like they were when I was a small child. One time I was in my apartment in WV, and I was feeling bad, and it made me feel better to organize my silverware drawer to look the way my grandmother had hers. SO STRANGE...I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFP though because I have a lot of Te push or am being too outspoken to be INFP, and my natural inclinations and actual behavior on a daily basis seem to largely go against this image of normal in my head, which means I'm probably not an ESFJ.

G

Ginkgo

I think I have moderate to intense Si.

There are times when I recollect a sensory image from the past, maybe yesterday, or a week ago, a month or even years, and I might build off of that with my imagination. I might compulsively think what could have gone differently. Occasionally I bring this to life in the outside world when I am trying to prevent the past from reoccurring.

There are rarer times, which have really only be surfacing within the past year, when I feel as though I have been flung into the past. Suddenly, I remember my exact mindset during the events of a certain memory. It's almost as if I was momentarily stripped of my current knowledge for a degeneration of thought to occur. This is coupled with the feeling I had during a certain event, which can be intense.

I think the latter function is something that only happens when I'm under stress or when I can't circumvent my current situation with any novel experience.

It's really frustrating when you get caught in a vicious cycle of thinking the past will repeat itself. Then, you make no attempt to progress.

wolfy

awsm
How do you use it in the moment? How is it used to filter incoming stimuli?

G

Ginkgo

It just does. Se disregards internal interpretation of sensory data, while Si finds an interpretation or meaning in sensory data. It is used "in the moment", only by definition, but the thoughts it manifests are past-oriented. Imagine your Ni projecting a future outcome. That isn't necessarily an "in the moment" mindset. It spontaneously filters out sensory data and then engages. Si is a similar process, only it does not synthesize significance, but rather recollects significance.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Um I think I use it in the moment to automatically correct spelling or find a word because something just "doesn't look right." For me it's less about being totally conscious of grammatical rules (content/analysis first, grammar later is how my mind works, which also makes me want to say my Si is more likely tertiary or inferior than auxillary), and it's more about things in writing just not being the way they are "supposed to be."

Things not tasting like they are supposed to taste, I relate to that one...and any sense of habit that I have; I have a rather strong sense of habit for a P and wanting a certain predictability in other people, especially in relationships.

I was also talking with some people in vent the other night about using Si vs. using Te, and we agreed that Si is more self-discipline, Te is more self-control. I'm better at sticking to a diet, watching ingredients, making myself exercise, than I would be at ever following a schedule or being on time or controlling myself emotionally, which apparently would be more Te. (?)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I got pretty strong Si and this explains my Si pretty much spot on

An INTP Profile

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have "good use" of Si, the functions test told me so!

But seriously, I think my Si is strong because I have a good long term memory of the past. And I'm always noticing shit like when things don't match up to the way I'm accustomed to.

Oddly enough, I often find I'm better at recognizing changes in details than the details themselves. For example, if the carpet changes at my workplace I'll probably notice it right away but what I won't notice is the precise details of the pattern in the carpet (which I think is more Se).

Or I'll notice right away when driving that something might be wrong with my car because it driving it doesn't feel right even though I'd have a terrible time trying to articulate in words why the car feels funny but I *know* it feels different from what I've experienced driving in the past.