• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Choosing NOT to feel

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
I find it very hard to stop thinking, but I know people who say they do that all the time, at will. They are surprised that I find it hard. Perhaps they find it similarly hard to stop feeling, while I find it easier.

I've never heard anyone say they could stop thinking. Even when interacting or feeling, there are still thoughts going on, although maybe they're less mentally-challenging ones.

In other words, I don't believe it. ;)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I've always assumed that everyone felt the same thing on the inside, but just showed it to greater or lesser degrees.

I don't think what BRM is saying differs much from what you are thinking. Everyone feels the same feeling (unless literally unable too i.e. sociopath) it just seems that the intensity of the feelings are far greater in those who place them in values. The roots run a great deal deeper.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
This is something that we all master you know, some of the best reading I've done lately has been of Karen Horney and people developing her theories which are really a development of Freuds, the central point is that we dont just repress infantile sexuality but affect and emotion, if its a pretty harsh sort of repression which is integrated/becomes adaptive then a neurotic trend can begin.

I've got a book in my to be read pile which suggests that most adult difficulties stem from the subconscious realisation that you've betrayed yourself and been a phony from the earliest years of childhood when you compromise your infantile rage in order to get the love of parents or carers.

Oh man---that's right up my alley.

I'm gonna have to check that out.

Any particular book or webpage you'd recommend?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is something that we all master you know, some of the best reading I've done lately has been of Karen Horney and people developing her theories which are really a development of Freuds, the central point is that we dont just repress infantile sexuality but affect and emotion, if its a pretty harsh sort of repression which is integrated/becomes adaptive then a neurotic trend can begin.

I've got a book in my to be read pile which suggests that most adult difficulties stem from the subconscious realisation that you've betrayed yourself and been a phony from the earliest years of childhood when you compromise your infantile rage in order to get the love of parents or carers.

Half of this makes sense the other half is all preference. Not everyone supresses rage, some supress hurt. Some people turn hurt into rage. I believe we all repress a portion of us. Who is to say that some dont repress thoughts, or drive, or anything. Why is it always feeling. What if our parents dont create rage in us. People put way to much emphasis into emotions that it leaves everyone else out.

I can see way more things that cause rage to even begin to believe that rage is at the core.